Making a Better Superman Returns

You don't need affection. You need respect, an understanding of what makes the character special, and the knowledge and skill to put together a good screenplay.

:up:

That's one of things that actually made me sad watching the Death of Superman Lives... no one seemed to be that excited to be making a Superman movie apart from a select few.

I got the same impression. Over the years I've read several comments made by screenwriters who were hired to tackle Superman. Putting aside Kevin Smith, they seemed to have no real interest in the character to begin with. They found him boring or were completely unaware of many aspects of the character. They then complain how it's difficult to write dialogue for him. This includes the Superman Returns screenwriters. They give the impression writing for him is a chore and it shows up in their work.

It's interesting that Mario Puzo wrote the original screenplay for Superman 1 & 2. Puzo is better known as the writer of The Godfather triology. I guess WB made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Maybe hiring competent writers also helps. The writers of Superman Returns also wrote X-Men: Apocalypse, which got worse reviews than Superman Returns.
RT 48%/66% for X-Men: Apocalypse compared to 76%/61% for Superman Returns.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Mario Puzo wrote the original screenplay for Superman 1 & 2. Puzo is better known as the writer of The Godfather triology. I guess WB made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Maybe hiring competent writers also helps. The writers of Superman Returns also wrote X-Men: Apocalypse, which got worse reviews than Superman Returns.
RT 48%/66% for X-Men: Apocalypse compared to 76%/61% for Superman Returns.

Most of what he wrote was unfilmable and was rewritten by Tom Mankiwicz. All Puzo did was give the film some name recognition which enabled them to bring in Brando, Hackman etc.

It seems like they constantly chose screenwriters who have no affection for the character. It's simply an assignment.

Writing is a passion, I don't understand how one can write without it, I know I don't write without it. Appreciate industry wise its a pay cheque but if one is passionate and knowledgeable about your subject, coupled with experience, then you have the ability to have a script with integrity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"