Making gifs

AndThePickles

Kiss the girl
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is the forum to ask this question...

Does anyone know of a decent and free program to make moving gif files? I don't need anything fancy, but I feel silly having to request them in the Avatar thread when I only ever need a slideshow of still pictures.

i use paintshop's animation shop check your PM ;).

Can I get a copy of that PM?

I use Ulead--always meant to make a tutorial but.. too lazy *yawn*

I have Adobe Imageready, but I got the PS disc off Ebay and I didn't get a manual or anything, so I don't really know how to make a GIF with this program. Is there a good tutorial for GIF making for Imageready?

I swear, I never understood ImageReady. In fact, I hate it! *shakes fist in the air*

Imageready is relatively easy to use if you're making one off of a source file, that is what I use to make all of mine.

The biggest problem is converting your source video to the correct format. Imageready only reads .mov files, so you have to get your hands on a converter.

The converter I use is called Mediacoder, it's a free, pretty simple to use program.

Find whatever source video you need, and plug it into Mediacoder and convert the video to .mov, and disable the audio.

Once it finished converting (takes really no time at all, a 5 minute video can encode in about 3 minutes), open the .mov file in imageready, and there you can turn the entire file into a .gif (not a good idea), or you can move a slider to convert a selected range into a .gif file.

Then you can animate it as you see fit.

animation shop which I use can take video in AVI or MPEG format or you can just upload individual frames like BMP or JPEG as well. I have used AS for years and it is one of the best programs that do GIFs out there. as for a converter, I use ANY VIDEO CONVERTER and it is awesome, even converts flash and youtube vids (just copy and paste the URL into the box, select output file and hit convert :woot:.).

For anyone using linux, Avidemux is an alternative to Virtualdub. It lets you open up a video, specify input and markers and export the frames inbetween as .jpgs. Converts between loads of different types as well and there's also a Windows port.

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"