Mamma Mia the movie.

You know the success of this movie is amazing. The dvd came out this week and it's still been shown at my local cineplex....entering the 20th week now!:wow:
I am someone who likes musicals. But this movie....I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it. And I don't blame it on Brosnan or Firth not being able to sing. I blame it on bad direction and a very bland story that tried to be a screwball comedy with ABBA music, but it was just screwy.

Oh well.
It just shows that ABBA sells. I haven't seen the film btw.:o

ABBA Sinks Titanic In U.K.
17 December 2008 1:49 AM, PST

The 10-year-old box-office record held by Titanic in the U.K. has been broken by the oddest of challengers, the ABBA musical Mamma Mia!, starring Meryl Streep. As of Monday, the movie had earned $107.7 million, edging out the $107.5 million that Titanic walked away with. Titanic's worldwide record remains safe, however. It took in $1.8 billion versus $571.7 million for Mamma Mia!

As I said in the "Will the Titanic ever sink" thread, why the **** do you folks in the UK like ABBA so much?

Knowing MMMMEEEEE KNOWING YYYOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO

Knowing MMMMEEEEE KNOWING YYYOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anyone who doesn't like MAMMA MIA is a racist.

Anyway, my wife bought this for me for my birthday and having never seen the show and not being a huge fan of ABBA (I do like me some Dancing Queen) I thought I'd hate it. Ended up being pleasantly surprised. It's a very energetic, very fun musical that takes a stab at "deep". I don't think the dance choreography is poor at all, there's some impressive stuff going on there.

Yeah, it's cheesy, but it's fun, and the songs are mostly very good. The performances are also very good, from the surprising Amanda Seyfriend, who has a lovely, if very "poppy" voice, to the supporting cast. Colin Firth can very much sing, he's just not a powerhouse. Whereas Pierce Brosnan is a powerhouse, but he very much cannot sing. Or can he? Pierce is an enigma in this movie, and I find him almost fascinating to watch. He clearly can sing. He just doesn't know how. At all. The man has almost a sort of "rock star" voice, and no clue how to use it, and that makes watching him alternatively impressive, painful, and hilarious, because he can either belt, or can barely sing the notes he's supposed to. I do like his last song, "When All is said and Done" for some reason. He sounds sort of like Gordon Lightfoot in it. Worth a watch if you're a fan of modern musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"