Man creates traffic signal changer

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
No green light for driver with traffic signal gadget
'That thing paid for itself'

Tuesday, April 18, 2006; Posted: 9:01 a.m. EDT (13:01 GMT)

Manage Alerts | What Is This? LONGMONT, Colorado (AP) -- A man who said he bought a device that allowed him to change stop lights from red to green received a $50 ticket for suspicion of interfering with a traffic signal.

Jason Niccum of Longmont, Colorado, said the device, which he bought on eBay for $100, helped him cut his time driving to work.

"I guess in the two years I had it, that thing paid for itself," he told the Daily Times-Call on Wednesday.

Niccum was issued a citation March 29 after police said they found him using a strobe-like device to change traffic signals. Police confiscated the device.

"I'm always running late," police quoted Niccum as saying in an incident report.

The device, called an Opticon, is similar to what firefighters use to change lights when they respond to emergencies. It emits an infrared pulse that receivers on the traffic lights pick up.

Niccum was cited after city traffic engineers who noticed repeated traffic light disruptions at certain intersections spotted a white Ford pickup passing by whenever the patterns were disrupted.

City traffic engineer Joe Olson said engineers plan to update the city's Opticon system this year to block unauthorized light-changing signals.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/18/traffic.changer.ap/index.html

$50 ticket. That's all. :confused:

Wouldn't it take like 10 secinds to work each time? I mean you gotta click the "green" button and then it has to turn the other light yellow and then red before it works.

people are stupid. i mean, you all know a laser pen works the same way, right? i do it everyday on my way to work, and the ONE time i did get stopped by the police, i showed them the laser pen. it's legal, and they couldn't take it away, or write me a ticket. plus, a laser pen ain't no "$100 on ebay" crap either...

photojones2 said:
people are stupid. i mean, you all know a laser pen works the same way, right? i do it everyday on my way to work, and the ONE time i did get stopped by the police, i showed them the laser pen. it's legal, and they couldn't take it away, or write me a ticket. plus, a laser pen ain't no "$100 on ebay" crap either...

Exactly where do you you shine the laser to affect a light change?

jag

What a moron. If you're "always running late", leave the house earlier. Geesh.

photojones2 said:

YOU'RE FULL OF S**T. :down:rolleyes:

*RUNS OUT TO BUY LASER POINTER*

jaguarr said:
Exactly where do you you shine the laser to affect a light change?

jag

the clip that's on the cross-arm that supports the traffic light.

ambulances use those to clear a path to the hospital.

Sweet. I just have to get some batteries. This will be fun :D

terry78 said:
No green light for driver with traffic signal gadget
'That thing paid for itself'

Tuesday, April 18, 2006; Posted: 9:01 a.m. EDT (13:01 GMT)

Manage Alerts | What Is This? LONGMONT, Colorado (AP) -- A man who said he bought a device that allowed him to change stop lights from red to green received a $50 ticket for suspicion of interfering with a traffic signal.

Jason Niccum of Longmont, Colorado, said the device, which he bought on eBay for $100, helped him cut his time driving to work.

"I guess in the two years I had it, that thing paid for itself," he told the Daily Times-Call on Wednesday.

Niccum was issued a citation March 29 after police said they found him using a strobe-like device to change traffic signals. Police confiscated the device.

"I'm always running late," police quoted Niccum as saying in an incident report.

The device, called an Opticon, is similar to what firefighters use to change lights when they respond to emergencies. It emits an infrared pulse that receivers on the traffic lights pick up.

Niccum was cited after city traffic engineers who noticed repeated traffic light disruptions at certain intersections spotted a white Ford pickup passing by whenever the patterns were disrupted.

City traffic engineer Joe Olson said engineers plan to update the city's Opticon system this year to block unauthorized light-changing signals.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/18/traffic.changer.ap/index.html

So cool and easily worth a $50 fine

- Whirly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"