Mark Wahlberg & Rupert Wyatt Plan The Gambler

Octoberist

point blank
Reaction score
Although the project was said to have been eyed by Todd Phillips last year with Leonardo DiCaprio tentatively interested in starring, Variety is now reporting that Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt is in talks to take over the remake of Karel Reisz's The Gambler. Mark Wahlberg (himself an Apes franchise veteran) is said to be interested in starring.

First announced just over two years ago, the update of the 1974 film was, at that time, targeted by Martin Scorsese with The Departed's William Monahan providing the screenplay.

The original film starred James Caan as an English professor with a gambling addiction who falls into debt with the mob for $40,000. In over his head, his mother gives him some money, which he quickly tries to increase in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, the odds never allow him to win or fully recover, so his future stays in the mob's hands.

Caan received a Golden Globe nomination for best actor for his performance. Lauren Hutton and Paul Sorvino co-starred.

Wahlberg, who starred earlier this year in Pain & Gain and 2 Guns, can be seen coming up in Lone Survivor before re-teaming with Michael Bay next summer for Transformers: Age of Extinction.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108821

What I got from this?

Wahlberg ain't no James Caan, and Rupert Wyatt is the new G. Del Toro and Matthew Vaughn: Attached to a million projects, and drops out when he has the chance.

I betcha all the tumblr 'Gambler' fans are going nuts. (sarcasm)

Brie Larson Cast in Gambler
short-term-12-brie-larson-slice.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brie-larson-talks-star-opposite-649260

Jessica Lange Joins Paramount’s ‘The Gambler’ Remake With Mark Wahlberg

Lange will play the rich and ostentatious mother of Mark Wahlberg’s in-debt character in the Paramount remake of the 1974 pic. Wahlberg will reprise the role James Caan played in the original of a college professor whose gambling addiction takes over his life even after his debts lead to some nasty new friends. Talks for two-time Oscar winner Lange to get on board with the movie have been going on for a couple of months, as I reported back in October. Brie Lawson is also in the Rupert Wyatt-directed pic from a script from William Monahan. Joining The Gambler comes at the end of a high profile month for Lange. On a career second life rarely seen in Hollywood, the actress recently received both Golden Globes and the SAG Awards nominations for her role as the Supreme witch Fiona Goode on the current AHS: Coven season of the FX horror franchise. Lange, who also published her first children’s book It’s About A Little Bird in October, has previously won an Emmy plus GG and SAG awards for the performances on past seasons of the show. And there could be more – last month FX reupped AHS for a fourth season with Lange. The actress is repped by WME and Untitled Entertainment.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/jessica-lange-the-gambler-mark-wahlberg-paramount-american-horror-story/

Wasnt impressed by the trailer. But I still am looking forward to this

Really looking forward to this. Love gambling films. And this has a great cast put together with an awesome director.

New trailer makes it look like a mediocre drama rather than the dark thriller the first trailer made it out to be. But then again they did the same with Flight...which I think also used Gimme Shelter in the trailer and both had John Goodman in the film.

I hope the tone is more in line with the first trailer

Marky Mark looking about 15 years old in the new poster.

hD9aBBi.jpg

This has been getting mixed reviews so far, but I still wanna check it out

While that's a cool poster holy crap, Mark looks like a tween.

Pretty disappointed in this.
Had a lot of good actors, but other than John Goodman I wasnt impressed by any of them.
It was too pretentious and philosophical. Most of the dialogue were just these rants, which Im sure were supposed to be good monologues. I understand that this is a remake (I never saw the original) and the original was based on ideas in a Dostoyevsky story but still. I didnt like the dialogue at all

Wahlberg's character wasnt that likeable and the performance was meh.
Larson was wasted. Her whole character felt silly.

It's not terrible. But I have no desire to ever watch this again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"