• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Avengers Marvel Movie Timeline?

Wow. I don't know how I completely missed this thread. Alright then. Well, I'll just paste what I put in my new thread here:

http://thespenceleyspoileriffic.blog...hronology.html

This is my impression of the order in which the Avengers films should be watched in order to follow a loose sense of continuity. There will be a couple questions raised, I discuss a few of them in the blog post.
Feel free to discuss and debate!

Ordered by U.S. Theatrical Release Date
5/2/08 - Iron Man
6/13/08 - The Incredible Hulk
5/7/10 - Iron Man 2
5/6/11 - Thor
7/22/11 - Captain America: The First Avenger
5/4/12 - The Avengers

Ordered by Chronological Events
1) Captain America: The First Avenger
2) Hulk
3) Iron Man
4) The Incredible Hulk
5) The Consultant
6) A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to Thor's Hammer
7) Thor
8) Iron Man 2

Edited for Chronological Accuracy
Captain America: The First Avenger
---starting with WWII era scenes, stop before modern day
Iron Man
--re-edited so opening flashback happens at the proper point in the film.
The Incredible Hulk
---stop before Tony Stark cameo
The Consultant
Thor
---stop before the scene of people trying to remove Mjolnir from the ground.
Iron Man 2
---stop after Agent Coulson leaves to go on a trip.
A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Thor's Hammer
Iron Man 2
---stop before Coulson returns.
Thor
---remaining scenes
Iron Man 2
---Coulson's return and remaining scenes
---first scene (flashback), followed by Steve waking up in modern world.
THE AVENGERS!!!

The chronology completely ignores that TIH takes mostly place at the same time than the second half of IM2 and THOR

don't forget the big battle and intro to asgard in the beginning of thor. that took place in tonsberg norway 965 a.d.

That chronology is messed up a bit. Coulson leaves for New Mexico half way through IM2 but he never returns to the movie. He shows up next in Thor. Also the Consultant happens after the end of IM2. Other than Cap waking up in modern, the end of TIH happens closest to The Avengers.

Oh, for some reason I thought he came back. Alright then, I'll tweak that.
And I'm just leaning about TIH's place, that has not really been clear to me aside from Iron Man showing up, so I assumed that was after IM1, but it could also be the very last thing before Avengers.
"Getting a team together" does flow better after the last Fury/Stark scene of IM2.

And I was guessing with Consultant. I wrote this during my break at work and keep forgetting to watch it at home. =P
Tweaks will be made. I'm seriously considering making this edit. Aside from the files being ginormous, I don't think it would take me that long once I understand where everything goes.

Also, is the verdict that Cap's modern day scene is the last before the Avengers, or is there evidence that happens somewhere earlier?

Alright, here's version 2.0. It's semi-simple for now, but if you see places for more drastic in-between, definitely mention them.

Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
---stop after the 'blood falls into the bottle' scene
The Incredible Hulk
---stop after Hulk's first encounter with soldiers
Thor
---remaining scenes
The Incredible Hulk
---stop before Bruce/Betty get to NYC
Iron Man 2
---remaining scenes
The Incredible Hulk
---remaining scenes
THE AVENGERS!!!

Last edited:
And I'm just leaning about TIH's place, that has not really been clear to me aside from Iron Man showing up, so I assumed that was after IM1, but it could also be the very last thing before Avengers.
"Getting a team together" does flow better after the last Fury/Stark scene of IM2.

And I was guessing with Consultant. I wrote this during my break at work and keep forgetting to watch it at home. =P
Tweaks will be made. I'm seriously considering making this edit. Aside from the files being ginormous, I don't think it would take me that long once I understand where everything goes.
If you really want to do a chronlogical movie cut, there are great timelines of the MCU online, made by people with an eye for detail. THIS might help you.

Yeah, TIH and Thor run concurrently with the second half of IM2. The question comes in when trying to determine when the movies end. IM2 (Stark/Fury scene) ends right about the same time that the campus scene in TIH is occurring or has just occurred. Thor, which seems to only span 2-3 days at the most, ends shortly after the events IM2. TIH (NY scene) probably takes place 3-4 days after the ending of IM2. However we are shown the Norton cabin scene which takes place a month after the Abomination fight. The Consultant happens after IM2 because we know that Stark has agreed to become a consultant for SHIELD. This short film explains why Stark goes to speak with Ross, which really should be the closest event to The Avengers.

That all makes good sense. It sounds like it'd just be a matter of cutting between scenes at appropriate breaks in the story and getting it as close together as possible so you're not waiting too long to see what happens next for any particular character.
Just like any movie/show with characters that go off and do their own thing for a while. This one would just be quite lengthy.

And good link Hythlodeus.
I've wanted to do the edit for a while, so I just started writing it up, I didn't even consider looking for someone else's timeline. lol.

And good link Hythlodeus.
I've wanted to do the edit for a while, so I just started writing it up, I didn't even consider looking for someone else's timeline. lol.

I will do that too, as soon as the Cap DVD/BR is released over here.
I have no idea how to edit the music, though.

I'd love to see these movies and shorts cut together. It may be somewhat awkward in places, but it would awesome nonetheless.

Like Hythlodeus mentioned, the music is where it'd get tricky. I have been picking up the scores of these movies, so maybe that'll help it flow if music overlaps from one scene to the next.
It might not be perfect and I doubt anyone will ever watch it in one sitting, but it would be nice to have this to watch for a few days before Avengers comes out.

Avengers: The Mini-Series. I could do it in hour-long blocks.
=)

Last edited:
I'd love to see these movies and shorts cut together. It may be somewhat awkward in places, but it would awesome nonetheless.

Agreed.
If I had the technical know how I'd definitely get to it

The first two scenes of that project will be the most awesome transition of the whole mega movie. from Tonsberg, Norway 900 AD to Tonsberg, Norway 1941...

Last edited:
Mjölnir;21748475 said:
SHIELD recruiting Captain America isn't so much about him being the first known superhero but rather on when they found out that he still lives.

One could argue that finding Steve Rogers at all was what inspired the idea for the "Avenger Initiative"...

Something that interests me is if there is a 2 year gap between the end of IM 2/TIH/THOR and THE AVENGERS, what, if any adventures has IRON MAN had during that time? Have there been any supervillains that he clashed with and defeated? It would be interesting to see if MARVEL STUDIOS MCU continuity people have any definitive events on their timeline.

Sorry...mistake --> correction.

Last edited:
Something that interests me is if there is a 2 year gap between the end of IM 2/TIH/THOR what, if any adventures has IRON MAN had during that time? Have there been any supervillains that he clashed with and defeated? It would be interesting to see if MARVEL STUDIOS MCU continuity people have any definitive events on their timeline.
chances are we probably won't find out until IM3

Perhaps they will tell us in the avengers what has happened in the 2 year gap

I'm still wondering how Thor's going to get out of Asgard. Will they explain that in Avengers, or skip it and leave it to Thor 2?

I think it will be cool to learn that IRON MAN has defeated and imprisoned several supervillains during that time, e.g., Blizzard, Blackout, Titanium Man, etc., etc.

Something that interests me is if there is a 2 year gap between the end of IM 2/TIH/THOR what, if any adventures has IRON MAN had during that time? Have there been any supervillains that he clashed with and defeated? It would be interesting to see if MARVEL STUDIOS MCU continuity people have any definitive events on their timeline.
What two year gap? I thought they all occurred around the same time.

Are you talking about the Avengers?

There's no way to know how much time has passed between IM2/Thor/TIH leading up to The Avengers. Not until the film comes out.

But I'm pretty sure that At minimum, a few months would have passed.

This sounds insanely cool, do you guys plan on adding any of the deleted scenes? Some of them are really good.

Also, is the verdict that Cap's modern day scene is the last before the Avengers, or is there evidence that happens somewhere earlier?

Alright, here's version 2.0. It's semi-simple for now, but if you see places for more drastic in-between, definitely mention them.

Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
---stop after the 'blood falls into the bottle' scene
The Incredible Hulk
---stop after Hulk's first encounter with soldiers
Thor
---remaining scenes
The Incredible Hulk
---stop before Bruce/Betty get to NYC
Iron Man 2
---remaining scenes
The Incredible Hulk
---remaining scenes
THE AVENGERS!!!
still didn't add thor as the first in the timeline. the battle between odin and the frost giants on earth happened way before cap's movie.

also the cap scene in time square happened around the time of the stark expo in IM 2. there is an add for the expo on the jumbo scree in timesquare. i posted about it i think in this thread a long while back.

This sounds insanely cool, do you guys plan on adding any of the deleted scenes? Some of them are really good.
While some of them would certainly add to the experience I don't plan to do so. Most of them look unfinished (or are unfinished). So I'll stick to the movies and the shorts only.

While some of them would certainly add to the experience I don't plan to do so. Most of them look unfinished (or are unfinished). So I'll stick to the movies and the shorts only.
I hope you really do end up doing this project, because it could be seriously awesome! :awesome:

The running time for all five movies (plus the two shorts) is around 609 minutes (though that might be including the credits), so you could edit them into 13 46-47 minute "episodes." (Or just 10 hour-long ones.) It'd be like Season One of the MCU! :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"