• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marvel Solicitions for February 2011

- The Marvel strategy for Daredevil; have Black Panther take over his book, because Black Panther cannot support his own title, in a "stealth take over" much as with INCREDIBLE HERCULES and DARK WOLVERINE. Now, it took INCREDIBLE HULK readers at least a year or so before they figured out the switch wasn't just a gimmick, and to (sadly) leave. It took even less time for WOLVERINE's readers to figure out that they didn't want to pay for Daken. How long will it take DAREDEVIL's readers to ditch T'Challa? Meanwhile, the actual Matt Murdock is being reborn in, well, DAREDEVIL REBORN. When Marvel did this trick with Herc, they got a modest seller for about 2 years before the increase in price helped the sales fall down the chute. When they did it with Wolverine, they accomplished the incredible feat of having what was once Marvel's top character sell at his lowest levels in about 15-20 years. Now they attempt the trick with Black Panther and Daredevil, both C and B list franchises (respectively). If anyone cannot predict how badly this is going to go for both DD and T'Challa in terms of sales, then your lack of common sense, intelligence, reality, and history is so low that you have the perfect stuff to work for Marvel editorial. Betting on BLACK PANTHER: MWOF #515 whatever to dive below DD's normal sales before long and DARDEVIL REBORN to NOT sell as well as DD did is fairly easy. What Marvel has done with DD is create a "jumping off point". DD's readers will leap off it after SHADOWLAND, and not return...ever. Maybe 2/3rds of them will read REBORN, and I doubt they will give T'Challa much chance. I could be wrong, but recent history favors me being right. While comic companies struggle to create "jumping on points" that actually work, they seem adept at creating the opposite.

I'm just baffled that Marvel is still trying to push Black Panther. Seriously, after an ongoing that had a respectable amount of issues due to Civil War, the Initiative, the Marriage, and Fantastic Four boosting the book, but eventually crashed and burned. Then they relaunched it quickly and the public just flat out rejected it. No one really bought Doomwar.

So what we have here is the simple fact that no one wants a Black Panther ongoing right now. Hudlin drove the character into the ground by making the character and Wakanda a Gary Stu, obsessed with gimmicks, and bad, borderline racist, storylines. When the best option would be giving the charcter a rest and have the character appear in books like Fantastic Four and Avengers, Marvel takes the worst option possible by putting him in a book that belongs to a character that he has very little connection to. While it's a bad strategy to begin with, but at least Amadeus Cho and Herclues have connections to the Hulk. At least Daken has connections to Wolverine. And even at DC, at least Mon-El, Nightwing, Flamebird, and Lex Luthor have connections to Superman, while Batwoman and Dick Grayson have connections to Batman. Seriously, WTF.

I'm just baffled that Marvel is still trying to push Black Panther. Seriously, after an ongoing that had a respectable amount of issues due to Civil War, the Initiative, the Marriage, and Fantastic Four boosting the book, but eventually crashed and burned. Then they relaunched it quickly and the public just flat out rejected it. No one really bought Doomwar.

So what we have here is the simple fact that no one wants a Black Panther ongoing right now. Hudlin drove the character into the ground by making the character and Wakanda a Gary Stu, obsessed with gimmicks, and bad, borderline racist, storylines. When the best option would be giving the charcter a rest and have the character appear in books like Fantastic Four and Avengers, Marvel takes the worst option possible by putting him in a book that belongs to a character that he has very little connection to. While it's a bad strategy to begin with, but at least Amadeus Cho and Herclues have connections to the Hulk. At least Daken has connections to Wolverine. And even at DC, at least Mon-El, Nightwing, Flamebird, and Lex Luthor have connections to Superman, while Batwoman and Dick Grayson have connections to Batman. Seriously, WTF.

There's a perfect connection. Black Panther used to operate in the inner city and occasionally have "urban" stories back in the 70's and 80's, and...yeah, I got nothing. It is very bizarre.

Both Marvel and DC have characters who they are very fond of and who they push out again and again and again and again at the populace no matter how many times they bomb. DC's example is Hawkman (or Hawkwoman). Every few years they try a HAWKMAN relaunch, it tanks, they try it again, etc. Of course, fans of these characters don't usually mind. I do agree it would have made more sense that if anyone "replaced" DD as the "man without fear", it was someone at least involved in SHADOWLAND. Black Panther wasn't and it seems random.

The problem may be that Black Panther is never gone long enough for fans to miss him and for that to boost his sales. He had a rest for years after the Chris Priest run before his last volume started with Romita Jr. artwork. But after that he's been around like clockwork. In a way I am amazed that MS. MARVEL hasn't gotten a relaunch yet.

There's a perfect connection. Black Panther used to operate in the inner city and occasionally have "urban" stories back in the 70's and 80's, and...yeah, I got nothing. It is very bizarre.

Both Marvel and DC have characters who they are very fond of and who they push out again and again and again and again at the populace no matter how many times they bomb. DC's example is Hawkman (or Hawkwoman). Every few years they try a HAWKMAN relaunch, it tanks, they try it again, etc. Of course, fans of these characters don't usually mind. I do agree it would have made more sense that if anyone "replaced" DD as the "man without fear", it was someone at least involved in SHADOWLAND. Black Panther wasn't and it seems random.

The problem may be that Black Panther is never gone long enough for fans to miss him and for that to boost his sales. He had a rest for years after the Chris Priest run before his last volume started with Romita Jr. artwork. But after that he's been around like clockwork. In a way I am amazed that MS. MARVEL hasn't gotten a relaunch yet.

Big difference between Hawkman and Black Panther is that Hawkman usually starts off successfully and usually gets a lot of high profile writers like Gardner Fox, Geoff Johns, James Robinson, John Ostrander, Jimmy Palmiotti/Justin Grey, Walt Simonson, etc. His last book lasted almost 50 issues and then really tanked when it became Hawkgirl with OYL. And when DC launches a new Hawkman book (or any book for that matter), they don't cancel it and relaunch it within a matter of months.

Black Panther on the other hand. Whenever Marvel launches a Black Panther book, they end up getting Peter Gillis, David Liss, Reginald Hudlin, and Jonathan Mayberry. Who the **** are these people? The only major Panther writers I would say are Preist and McGregor. Then Marvel has cancelled Black Panther's book so many times in recent years, which shows that there is demand and still puts the character out in a solo book a few months later, you know when the comic public has rejected the book a while ago. At least Hawkman hasn't had a book since 2006.

Big difference between Hawkman and Black Panther is that Hawkman usually starts off successfully and usually gets a lot of high profile writers like Gardner Fox, Geoff Johns, James Robinson, John Ostrander, Jimmy Palmiotti/Justin Grey, Walt Simonson, etc. His last book lasted almost 50 issues and then really tanked when it became Hawkgirl with OYL. And when DC launches a new Hawkman book (or any book for that matter), they don't cancel it and relaunch it within a matter of months.

Black Panther on the other hand. Whenever Marvel launches a Black Panther book, they end up getting Peter Gillis, David Liss, Reginald Hudlin, and Jonathan Mayberry. Who the **** are these people? The only major Panther writers I would say are Preist and McGregor. Then Marvel has cancelled Black Panther's book so many times in recent years, which shows that there is demand and still puts the character out in a solo book a few months later, you know when the comic public has rejected the book a while ago. At least Hawkman hasn't had a book since 2006.

Hey now, Hudlin was from BET! Anyone in TV has to be "big", right? And, uh, hey, John Romita Jr. did the art for a bit on that initial relaunch. Isn't this the era when a hot artist alone can draw a crowd. No? That ended in 2001? Huh.

You have a point. DC has a lower sales threshold for cancellation and most of their launches last at least a year.

I feel like Black Panther is one of those characters thats just waiting for a good writer to come in and unleash his potential. He's a cool character but none of his writers ever do anything interesting with him. Its always the same old "wakanda's in trouble, oh no i've been de-throned as the king, must defend against the racist white men" stories. Although i gotta admit i liked when BP and Storm joined the FF4, i felt like that limitless story potential that was just never reached.

Geoff Johns did a nice job with Panther during "Red Zone" in Avengers years back.

Hey now, Hudlin was from BET! Anyone in TV has to be "big", right? And, uh, hey, John Romita Jr. did the art for a bit on that initial relaunch. Isn't this the era when a hot artist alone can draw a crowd. No? That ended in 2001? Huh.

You have a point. DC has a lower sales threshold for cancellation and most of their launches last at least a year.

While it's true that DC does indeed have a lower sales threshold for cancellation than Marvel, but that's not the reason why DC's lower selling titles last so much longer than Marvel's. The main reason is that DC's lower selling titles are far more stable than those of Marvel's. Take a look at R.E.B.E.L.S., Jonah Hex, Secret Six, Power Girl, Doom Patrol, and Booster Gold, the readership of those titles are very, very stable.

But if you take a look at Marvel's lower selling titles like the Punisher, Black Panther, Young Allies, unnecessary Deadpool titles, Hawkeye & Mockingbird, Iron Man: Legacy, Agents of Atlas, Moon Knight, and Black Widow, the drops on those titles are just horrific.

While retailers order small amounts of DC's lower selling titles, they are at least able to sell them because of a loyal readership because Tony Bedard, Justin Grey/Jimmy Palmiotti, Gail Simone, Judd Winick, and Keith Giffen are delivering fantastic stories. Retailers are giving up on Marvel's lower selling titles because readers just don't give a damn. After cancelling Doctor Voodoo and S.W.O.R.D. after 5 issues, readers just aren't willing to try Black Widow and Hawkeye & Mockingbird, especially since they debut at a $3.99 price point. Characters like the Punisher and Black Panther have been taken in piss poor directions. Deadpool has been oversaturated to the point where I think that I am the only person who buys everything Deadpool. And nobody is asking for books like Young Allies, Agents of Atlas, etc. (and before anybody says anything here you go: http://comiccritics.com/2010/06/17/agents-of-atlas-anonymous/).

I feel like Black Panther is one of those characters thats just waiting for a good writer to come in and unleash his potential. He's a cool character but none of his writers ever do anything interesting with him. Its always the same old "wakanda's in trouble, oh no i've been de-throned as the king, must defend against the racist white men" stories. Although i gotta admit i liked when BP and Storm joined the FF4, i felt like that limitless story potential that was just never reached.

Black Panther has always struggled in sales, though. Even the much heralded Christopher Priest run didn't sell as well as Internet reviews would lead one to believe. He's rarely had his own series for as long as other franchises. He's similar to Namor in that way. He actually had a long rest before the Hudlin/Jomita Jr. relaunch, and after that Marvel has done everything to keep him in print. Taking over DD's book is the latest stunt. It won't work, but it's at least something unexpected. Like juggling eggs naked in a crowded subway car - unexpected, at least. But effective?

Panther and Storm on the Fantastic Four was okay for a short term gimmick, but I never saw it as having much lasting power. At the very least, it reminded people that he debuted in an issue of the Four.

I do agree that there are some predictable aspects to many of his stories. TV Tropes has a term called "Positive Discrimination" that sometimes applies to many Panther stories. Personally, I always had difficulty accepting how Wakanda was presented. They're supposed to be a near perfect society because they had a metal no one else had and they were never conquered or successfully invaded by imperialists. The result is a society that has all sorts of hi-tech advanced gadgets and so on, but for a long time everyone ran about with spears and loin cloths anyway. It's like how Namor's Atlantis is a society under the water, yet everyone just walks and computers work normally down there, etc. But I could be off.

While it's true that DC does indeed have a lower sales threshold for cancellation than Marvel, but that's not the reason why DC's lower selling titles last so much longer than Marvel's. The main reason is that DC's lower selling titles are far more stable than those of Marvel's. Take a look at R.E.B.E.L.S., Jonah Hex, Secret Six, Power Girl, Doom Patrol, and Booster Gold, the readership of those titles are very, very stable.

But if you take a look at Marvel's lower selling titles like the Punisher, Black Panther, Young Allies, unnecessary Deadpool titles, Hawkeye & Mockingbird, Iron Man: Legacy, Agents of Atlas, Moon Knight, and Black Widow, the drops on those titles are just horrific.

While retailers order small amounts of DC's lower selling titles, they are at least able to sell them because of a loyal readership because Tony Bedard, Justin Grey/Jimmy Palmiotti, Gail Simone, Judd Winick, and Keith Giffen are delivering fantastic stories. Retailers are giving up on Marvel's lower selling titles because readers just don't give a damn. After cancelling Doctor Voodoo and S.W.O.R.D. after 5 issues, readers just aren't willing to try Black Widow and Hawkeye & Mockingbird, especially since they debut at a $3.99 price point. Characters like the Punisher and Black Panther have been taken in piss poor directions. Deadpool has been oversaturated to the point where I think that I am the only person who buys everything Deadpool. And nobody is asking for books like Young Allies, Agents of Atlas, etc. (and before anybody says anything here you go: http://comiccritics.com/2010/06/17/agents-of-atlas-anonymous/).

Marvel's low sales threshold is what it is. For all we know, YOUNG ALLIES might have had a loyal audience of 13k. That's too low for Marvel. Yet many DC titles have survived on that level. JONAH HEX I think sells worse. The only titles Marvel has low sales expectations for are their MARVEL ADVENTURES line. Even X-MEN FOREVER 2 is getting the axe.

There could be the sense that DC is more reasonable with initial print runs and re-orders if a book manages to be more popular than a retailer expects; Marvel doesn't do so. There also is a sense that DC tends to keep many of their smaller DCU books around longer than a year. Whereas with Marvel, they know they tend to axe things before issue #11, so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

"Oh, this looks interesting. But, it probably won't sell and get canceled soon, so I won't buy it. I'll wait for the trade." That's what most fans with even passing knowledge of the industry tend to do.

Marvel's answer? Release a hardcover first, for an extra $5 in price, and make that trade waiter wait. That's the most dumb-**** answer possible, but they do it. They have no respect for the intelligence of their fans, and could simply be ignorant to their own market realities.

Black Panther has always struggled in sales, though. Even the much heralded Christopher Priest run didn't sell as well as Internet reviews would lead one to believe.
Nothing sells as well as internet reviews would lead one to believe. The more interesting ideas are usually in lower-tier titles but the masses just want more of the big stars. Same reason indie films are critical darlings but usually make peanuts at the box office.

Black Panther has always struggled in sales, though. Even the much heralded Christopher Priest run didn't sell as well as Internet reviews would lead one to believe. He's rarely had his own series for as long as other franchises. He's similar to Namor in that way. He actually had a long rest before the Hudlin/Jomita Jr. relaunch, and after that Marvel has done everything to keep him in print. Taking over DD's book is the latest stunt. It won't work, but it's at least something unexpected. Like juggling eggs naked in a crowded subway car - unexpected, at least. But effective?

Panther and Storm on the Fantastic Four was okay for a short term gimmick, but I never saw it as having much lasting power. At the very least, it reminded people that he debuted in an issue of the Four.

I do agree that there are some predictable aspects to many of his stories. TV Tropes has a term called "Positive Discrimination" that sometimes applies to many Panther stories. Personally, I always had difficulty accepting how Wakanda was presented. They're supposed to be a near perfect society because they had a metal no one else had and they were never conquered or successfully invaded by imperialists. The result is a society that has all sorts of hi-tech advanced gadgets and so on, but for a long time everyone ran about with spears and loin cloths anyway. It's like how Namor's Atlantis is a society under the water, yet everyone just walks and computers work normally down there, etc. But I could be off.

Marvel's low sales threshold is what it is. For all we know, YOUNG ALLIES might have had a loyal audience of 13k. That's too low for Marvel. Yet many DC titles have survived on that level. JONAH HEX I think sells worse. The only titles Marvel has low sales expectations for are their MARVEL ADVENTURES line. Even X-MEN FOREVER 2 is getting the axe.

There could be the sense that DC is more reasonable with initial print runs and re-orders if a book manages to be more popular than a retailer expects; Marvel doesn't do so. There also is a sense that DC tends to keep many of their smaller DCU books around longer than a year. Whereas with Marvel, they know they tend to axe things before issue #11, so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

"Oh, this looks interesting. But, it probably won't sell and get canceled soon, so I won't buy it. I'll wait for the trade." That's what most fans with even passing knowledge of the industry tend to do.

Marvel's answer? Release a hardcover first, for an extra $5 in price, and make that trade waiter wait. That's the most dumb-**** answer possible, but they do it. They have no respect for the intelligence of their fans, and could simply be ignorant to their own market realities.

Except it isn't just the higher threshold. We do know that Young Allies did not have a loyal readership because the sales just kept dropping horrifically. Sales weren't dropping at 1 - 2%. It was dropping around over 5% per issue.

Yeah, Marvel wouldn't have kept a book at 13K, because I do agree with you that Marvel does have a rather high sales threshold. But if Marvel's titles that were selling at 20K and maybe even 18K, if the sales were stable and they weren't losing money on the title (the real reason why DC cancelled Unknown Soldier), maybe they'd have a similar threshold to DC's.

So the main question we should be asking is: Why are the sales stable on DC's lower selling titles while they drop horrifically on Marvel's lower selling titles? If you ask me it is because of higher quality, lower prices, and DC allowing those titles to thrive for a while as long as DC is not losing money on those titles. Marvel introducing books at a $3.99 price point, putting out books that no one wants (Young Allies, Doctor Voodoo, Franken-Castle, 5 bajillion Deadpool ongoings), and the high sales threshold is what is ruining Marvel's lower selling titles.

Nothing sells as well as internet reviews would lead one to believe. The more interesting ideas are usually in lower-tier titles but the masses just want more of the big stars. Same reason indie films are critical darlings but usually make peanuts at the box office.

True. It does suck, though. The shame of it is why some of those better titles can't just hang in there instead of sinking like a stone.

Except it isn't just the higher threshold. We do know that Young Allies did not have a loyal readership because the sales just kept dropping horrifically. Sales weren't dropping at 1 - 2%. It was dropping around over 5% per issue.

Yeah, Marvel wouldn't have kept a book at 13K, because I do agree with you that Marvel does have a rather high sales threshold. But if Marvel's titles that were selling at 20K and maybe even 18K, if the sales were stable and they weren't losing money on the title (the real reason why DC cancelled Unknown Soldier), maybe they'd have a similar threshold to DC's.

So the main question we should be asking is: Why are the sales stable on DC's lower selling titles while they drop horrifically on Marvel's lower selling titles? If you ask me it is because of higher quality, lower prices, and DC allowing those titles to thrive for a while as long as DC is not losing money on those titles. Marvel introducing books at a $3.99 price point, putting out books that no one wants (Young Allies, Doctor Voodoo, Franken-Castle, 5 bajillion Deadpool ongoings), and the high sales threshold is what is ruining Marvel's lower selling titles.

You're being modest about the drops for YOUNG ALLIES. It had a low debut of over 20,800 copies, which meant the huge drops took a bite out of that quick. The sales drop for issue two was 22%; for issue three was 13%. Even the sales drop from September to October, which are the last sales available, are over 10% an issue. I enjoyed the book, but, yes, it crashed out of the gate.

The problem is that Marvel's sales usually outdo DC's overall every month because many of their B and C list titles across the Top 100 or 150 tend to sell better in every particular month. The titles that are canceled are replaced with mini's or new series almost faster than they are canceled. Marvel claims they're tightening the belt next year, but winter months in a new year usually see a draw back of titles, as editorial preps for the summer deluge. All Marvel seems to care about is the month to month game, not on having more titles with sustainable sales.

I looked at JONAH HEX this week, and it was past issue 60. SIXTY. I can't for the life of me remember too many Marvel launches or relaunches that lasted over five years without a renumbering or a few relaunches, or being axed outright. It sold over 11k in October, BTW.

I liked and enjoyed YOUNG ALLIES, but even I admitted it was a bit of a daft move releasing it the same week as AVENGERS ACADEMY (whose sales from Sept. and October are actually rock solid around 31k - October even saw a gain of like 60 copies). I think in addition to the problems you cite, that Marvel simply throws out too many launches at once without any effort to promote them. Instead of one or two launches a month, we see that per week with mini's and all that. They launch titles that are lost in the shuffle with the rest of the Marvel line.

I do think with Marvel, as I said earlier, any reader with even a modest understanding of the market is aware Marvel is very trigger happy with anything, and that titles that are apart from Avengers/X-Men/Thor/Iron Man/Deadpool/Wolverine/Spider-Man are not going to last very long, so they wait for the trade and that all but ensures it doesn't last long.

To be fair, I am sure DC spits out a few of those "do we really want this" series pretty often, just perhaps not to the extent that Marvel does. Marvel has clearly been flooding the market, usually out-publishing DC by another 10-30 comics a month, and crushing them by sheer volume. When you have a 3 to 1 number advantage over an enemy, simply throwing canon fodder to wear them down works, and Marvel's business strategy seems to be that. The shame of it is that many of those smaller titles aren't actually half bad, but Marvel have created a market where importance, not quality, is why people buy. Few buy AVENGERS/NEW AVENGERS because it is exceptional. They buy it because it's important to the line.

I also agree, vastly, that making the #1 issue of an ongoing series the most expensive for short term profits is terribly short sighted. The problem is that all the big titles also being $3.99 limits spending power. Combined with the fact that everyone knows how trigger happy Marvel is, it leads to a perfect storm that kills small titles.

NOVA is the example I like to use. It's sales were rock solid steady at no less than 26k a month for TWELVE WHOLE MONTHS. These days, a calender year where sales never hit below a certain point is very solid. But then the end of 2008/2009 came along, and Marvel started jacking up prices for many of their books to $3.99. Suddenly, NOVA's sales started dropping to the point where it ended at around 20k or below. I don't believe the story suddenly got worse; I believe the retailers and readers had to adjust their budgets and trim things. The $3.99 price tag also seemed to break INCREDIBLE HERCULES' back in terms of sales. The $3.99 price tag combined with the mentality that Marvel has beaten into their fan base is to only stick on a book that is important or you are already invested in, and not to bother trying anything new. And that the best time to leave a book you were middling about is, ironically, a relaunch. I doubt DAREDEVIL REBORN will sell as well as DAREDEVIL for long, and I doubt Black Panther will be able to keep those DD fans any longer than Daken kept those original WOLVERINE fans who split and haven't returned.

Internet piracy might actually go down if the prices went down and quality went up. But nobody at the big two would dare consider that possibility.

Last edited:
I swear, Marvel's tricks for milking sales is becoming ridiculously absurd. I'll be dropping Fantastic Four (for the first time in 5 years) after 3's over due to the price point changing, and pretty much the only 3.99 Marvel book I'll be staying with will be Cap simply because Ed Brubaker is, well, phenomenal.

Outside of that, it just doesn't make sense to buy Marvel in floppies anymore. Their trade's come out 2-3 months after the story arc is over with in the monthlies anyway, and you're usually saving 1-3 dollars per issue when you by in trade.

I've always thought you were paying a nickle more for the trades. Eh, I don't buy them so I could be wrong.

Well, that FF issue is a double sized issue, so hopefully the price won't hike to $3.99 permanently.

Last edited:
I've always thought you were paying a nickle more for the trades. Eh, I don't buy them so I could be wrong.
Depends. On the HCs, you've only saving a couple cents per issue. But if you go with paperbacks, the savings's is really quite substantial.

Like if you bought the first 6 issues of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, you'd end up playing $24 bucks total with its $4 dollar price tag. But if you wait for the paperback, and purchases it off of Amazon (or anyplace that discounts trades), you end up playing only $14.
Well, that FF issue is a double sized issue, so hopefully the price won't hike to $3.99 permanently.
Both January and Feburary's issues are 3.99...which worries me.

Both January and Feburary's issues are 3.99...which worries me.

Is it in January? The price isn't listed in the CBR solicits, and Marvel's website is ****** as all hell, can't find anything on there.

HeavyInk.com (which is where I get my comics from) lists it as $3.99, but doesn't have a page count. I've never known them to be wrong before.

I guess it'd make sense if that's double-sized, too, since it's the end of this thing. I don't know, I hope it's not a permanent hike

I guess it'd make sense if that's double-sized, too, since it's the end of this thing. I don't know, I hope it's not a permanent hike

Since Marvel seems to be dead set on pricing themselves out of most people's pockets, it probably is.

BUT, it'll be interesting to see if DC's 2.99 strategy ends up working for them. If DC's lower prices brings in more readers and sales then you can bet your ass Marvel's gonna follow suit. Yes Marvel just like any other business is greedy, but at the end of the day, they're trying to get readers. It'll be interesting to see if DC"s price drop strategy ends up prevailing.

I think it's likelier that we'll see DC creeping back up to the $3.99 price point before too long, personally. New readers, in any significant quantity at least, are a fairy tale print media likes to tell itself to pretend it's not becoming obsolete.

Last edited:
November 2010's initial sales figures are in, and DC was THIS CLOSE to tying Marvel in dollar and unit share. Sales for monthly comics overall are down (sales on trades are up), and DC owns 8 of the Top 10 selling comics, 4 of which are $2.99. If DC starts to see more of a boost, Marvel could get serious about price cuts on books besides INCREDIBLE HULK.

Is it in January? The price isn't listed in the CBR solicits, and Marvel's website is ****** as all hell, can't find anything on there.

Isn't that a shame? Marvel's website has been an terrible site to navigate for about as long as they've had a website, and after they just finished redesigning it and releasing it to the public, their search engine is STILL terrible. The one place you would expect to be able to look up Marvel comics easily is the hardest. And I think this is symbolic of Marvel not having a clue when it comes to the meat and potatoes details that make the bigger stuff come together.

November 2010's initial sales figures are in, and DC was THIS CLOSE to tying Marvel in dollar and unit share. Sales for monthly comics overall are down (sales on trades are up), and DC owns 8 of the Top 10 selling comics, 4 of which are $2.99. If DC starts to see more of a boost, Marvel could get serious about price cuts on books besides INCREDIBLE HULK.

Despite me being a much larger Marvel fan than a DC fan (character-wise) I'm super excited to hear that DC is starting to do so well. I'd love to see them jump to the top company again. Not to mention the possibility that the price drop announcement has been heard and people are actually giving DC more of their money.

And Marvel can't even say it's just due to one event or another.

Despite me being a much larger Marvel fan than a DC fan (character-wise) I'm super excited to hear that DC is starting to do so well. I'd love to see them jump to the top company again. Not to mention the possibility that the price drop announcement has been heard and people are actually giving DC more of their money.

And Marvel can't even say it's just due to one event or another.

The thing is that Marvel often outsells DC not by dominating the Top 10 sellers, but because Marvel comics often outsell DC comics from the Top 11 on down through to the bottom of the Top 100. As in, their B and C list titles tend to outsell the DC ones, at least in the short term. Marvel does so many relaunches and have so many mini's that it gets hard to tell.

The last time I recall DC actually outselling Marvel in dollar and unit share was one month in 2005 or 2006.

For the record, DC's 8 books in the Top 10 are BRIGHTEST DAY (two issues), BATMAN: THE RETURN, BATMAN AND ROBIN, GREEN LANTERN, and something else Batman/Lantern/Brightest Day related. Their much ballyhooed JMS run on SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN, even before it was announced he was leaving, have not jazzed up sales much. And while the importance of Green Lantern to DC's bottom line was something they took years building, Batman being their bread and butter is old news.

Still, it is interesting that in another month where comic sales overall continued to fall by over 5%, that DC narrowed the gap.

For the record, Marvel's two Top 10 sellers for Nov. 2010 were AVENGERS, which was the #3 book, and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (I believe the first BIG TIME issue), which was #8. It is the first month where neither NEW AVENGERS or SECRET AVENGERS sold in the Top 10 lately.

I remember when Thor used to be in the top 10. Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"