Purple Kang, Purple Kang
Reaction score
Between the May 5, 2017 opening of Guardians of the Galaxy and yesterday:

Black Panther (2018) $1,334,099,954
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) $880,166,924
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) $863,756,051
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) film currently playing $853,977,126
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) film currently playing $725,538,300

To think they had years where their annual total was under $1 B.

Edit: Thought Guardians came out May 1 last year...turns out it was May 5, by which time, Marvel's 365 day period will be over $5 Billion.

Pretty compelling argument for having Marvel Studios put out four films per year.

Just looking at movies already released in 2018 this is marvels highest grossing year

Technically, the Spider-Man money went to Sony.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (still a silly title:funny:) is Sony's money.

Bob Iger probably reads this types of figures and quietly pats himself on the back for making the deal he did. Talking about a deal that has worked out in spades.

Like taking away SONY's money makes a difference. :funny:

This train will be going for a long time.

I think deep down Marvel are kicking themselves for being bought out by Disney. What are Disney doing for Marvel that Marvel couldn't have done for themselves?

The numbers are crazy over the last calendar year. No studio has ever had a 1-2 combo like BP and IW in cinemas at the same time.

I think deep down Marvel are kicking themselves for being bought out by Disney. What are Disney doing for Marvel that Marvel couldn't have done for themselves?

I've wondered where Marvel would be if it weren't for Disney, and it's tough to say.

The biggest asset Disney provides Marvel is the marketing machine. Disney is second to none, and we can possibly attribute much of their success to their marketing campaigns. I'd also say budgets. Remember, Perlmutter was always trying to limit costs. This cost Feige to go around his boss, Perlmutter, so he could answer to Iger alone. Without Disney, Perlmutter would still be around, preventing action figures of female characters and scaling things back.

The biggest asset Disney provides Marvel is the marketing machine. Disney is second to none, and we can possibly attribute much of their success to their marketing campaigns. I'd also say budgets. Remember, Perlmutter was always trying to limit costs. This cost Feige to go around his boss, Perlmutter, so he could answer to Iger alone. Without Disney, Perlmutter would still be around, preventing action figures of female characters and scaling things back.

It afforded them the opportunity to grow the brand (IP) on a scale that would have taken years to accomplish alone. Disney's footprint and infrastructure is global and already in place. That gives them more leverage across the board. Advertising, expanded retail (Disney Stores), global theme park attractions (in fact a whole wing coming) in the biggest theme parks in the world, a network at their disposal (ABC), a coming streaming service heavily dedicated to their characters which will have more reached packaged with other popular IP's etc.

Don't forget the financial backing (aside from marketing) that comes with being under the Disney umbrella. They can produce as many films they want and not have to lose any sleep over getting financial backing. They don't even have to put up any properties as collateral.

It's really impossible to know for sure if they would have become as great as a juggernaut independently or not. The only certainly we know is the one we've got, and I won't be complaining any time soon. :ilv:

Disney gets none of that?

Yeah that's a part of the deal. They get to use their character in the Avengers films they are the sole beneficiaries of any money made from their solo spidey films.

It's not all bad for Disney though as they get 100% of profits made of the Averagers films Spidey is in.

Yeah that's a part of the deal. They get to use their character in the Avengers films they are the sole beneficiaries of any money made from their solo spidey films.

It's not all bad for Disney though as they get 100% of profits made of the Averagers films Spidey is in.

thats money they would have made regardless of if Spidey was in or not. They dont need the money but Sony is on the winning end of that deal

thats money they would have made regardless of if Spidey was in or not. They dont need the money but Sony is on the winning end of that deal

Sony signed off all of Spidey's merch rights to Marvel a few years ago. So they made a nice profit on that film even without the theatrical revenue.

Marvel never did a movie above $624 M WW before Disney took over. They've only done one below that since. I'd say that helps.

For Avengers Disney bought all the youtube advertising for a month. It was insane. I think left to their own devices, and paramount, Avengers would've been a $1 B film. $400/600 M instead of $620/900 M.

This is true. The Average budget for Marvel movies is now in the range of $200 M. Something that would never have been possible under Perlmutter.

Next year could be a good one too with Cap Marvel, Avengers 4 and Homecoming 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"