Will Marvel finally do three films a year to compete with DC?

Dasher10

I'm like Deadpool IRL
Reaction score
Since DC is doing three films a year, will Marvel finally up their production schedule? I mean, they have nothing coming out in late 2015 when they could theoretically do a Hulk sequel, Black Widow sequel or a new franchise like Black Panther or Captain Marvel. They could even move the release date for Doctor Strange forward. It's the same with 2016 and 2017 where Marvel appears to be abandoning Holiday releases altogether.

So why is Marvel studios completely abandoning Q4 in the first place? It's not like films during that time of the year are unprofitable or anything.

Honestly, here's what I'd do with Phase 3 considering that Marvel has only claimed one 2017 release date.

The mostly confirmed plans right now are

Ant-Man (summer)

Captain America 3 (spring)
Doctor Strange (summer)

Thor 3 (spring)

Avengers 3 (TBA but probably spring)

Here's what I'd expand them to, particularly considering that 2017 is when DC will attempt to completely dethrone Marvel.

Ant-Man (summer)
Ms. Marvel (holiday)

Captain America 3 (spring)
Doctor Strange (summer)
Black Panther (holiday)

Thor 3 (spring)
Hulk 2 (summer)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (holiday)

Black Widow (spring)
Avengers 3 (summer)
Inhumans (holiday and kicks off Phase 4)

That is how you keep up with DC's three films a year. That and creating more Netflix series like Moon Knight and Punisher. Phase 4 would also involve Blade and Ghost Rider while breaking the Avengers into two teams because there will just be too many characters by this point. Even with making the street level characters The Defenders, there will simply be too many Avengers.

Interesting concept and lineups. I would prefer Marvel to not do that, simply because I don't want to feel overloaded with comic book movies that are being pushed out right after one another. I just feel like it'd make them less special, kind of like the whole, "what if Christmas was everyday" allegory, I could eventually see me getting burnt out. But interesting thought. I love that Marvel is expanding their universe on TV shows and Netflix which I think will be just as effective.

That's not a reason for Marvel Studios to make more movies.

I hope not, DC seems to be the one desperate to catch up here. I like the idea of leaving the audience wanting more and not having the tomatoes thrown. Plus remember that with Sony and Fox in the mix, Marvel films will be a plenty. Frankly I think DC's entry could very well burst the bubble sooner rather then later. Great for the fans but the GA will likely get sick of the genre.

To just remind EVERYBODY: As of this date, there is no confirmation that the supposed film slate that's been put out for WB/DCE is anything more than a rumor. At this point. Maybe it's true. Maybe not. We should all keep our powder dry and wait for an actual announcement.

Interesting concept and lineups. I would prefer Marvel to not do that, simply because I don't want to feel overloaded with comic book movies that are being pushed out right after one another. I just feel like it'd make them less special, kind of like the whole, "what if Christmas was everyday" allegory, I could eventually see me getting burnt out. But interesting thought. I love that Marvel is expanding their universe on TV shows and Netflix which I think will be just as effective.

Agreed, their current output along with Sonys and Foxs is more than enough. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Marvel is already making 3 movies a year; in fact, this year we have 4 Marvel movies. Just because they aren't being made by Marvel Studios doesn't mean they don't belong to Marvel Universe.

Marvel is already making 3 movies a year; in fact, this year we have 4 Marvel movies. Just because they aren't being made by Marvel Studios doesn't mean they don't belong to Marvel Universe.

Quite right.

But that being said, Marvel Studios are handling 2-3 movies a year, plus a TV show, plus the upcoming TV shows on Netflix. I bet the could easily handle another 2 movies a year from their own camp, not counting Sony and Fox.

Bingo.

What we need is more of a range of comic films and properties. Not just more of the same. GOTG is a good start for the new breed, as would be Doc Strange, Sandman, Wonder Woman, Ms Marvel, Deadpool, Runaways etc. As long as these comic films are different from eachother, the audience will not look at it being the same thing over and over.

Fatigue comes from the same property being mediocre to bad for a few films. Comic films ( be it Marvel, DC, Image or whatever) are too diverse to be looked at as the same nowadays. Can't lump them all into one simple category.

If Marvel Studios can chuck out 3 solid and different properties in a year then go for it. They already basically are. GOTG, Avengers and Ant Man all come out less then a year of eachother. Each one of those flicks will be looked at completely differently.

Last edited:
Frankly I think DC's entry could very well burst the bubble sooner rather then later. Great for the fans but the GA will likely get sick of the genre.

We've been living with 2, 3, 4, 5 superhero films every year for over 35 years. Hell, in 2005 we had 11 comicbook/superhero films.

Plus most sci-fi or action films (in the eye of the GA) are 'superhero' films. Central characters, banding together, (or one character in kind of an origin story), facing impossible odds, throw in a love interest, some action, a few explosions, a macguffin, an arch villain, etc. They really don't care if it comes from a comic book. Star Wars is a Superhero film to the GA. Harry Potter is a Superhero film. As is LOTR and the James Bond series. Hollywood is mostly bereft of original ideas and comic books are just another source.

Also, most of the GA don't even know where to buy a comic book if they tried and are only aware on the peripheral that Comic films are actually from Comics. 99% of X-Men fans around the world right now only know them from the cartoons and films and have never read a comic in their life. Comics take picking up a book and reading, and good lord we can't have that in 2014. :)

And it also depends on how the comic book/superhero movies are told. Punisher is a far different film to Spider Man. Daredevil would be a far different film to Doctor Strange. Fantastic Four is a far different film to the Avengers....and so on. So, if 'they' put out 4 Superman films a year, yeah, I can see people getting sick of that. But the current and future film slates from all studios are all unique in some way.

So we are a long, long way from the bubble bursting. If ever. Believe me, if there was any chance the bubble would burst in the near future, Sony wouldn't have been such ***** about the Oscorp building appearing in Avengers, and Fox would finally give up the ghost and stop beating the dead Fantastic Four horse. Fox and Sony see the value in these properties, and unless someone forks out some serious cash for them, they will have them for life.

Hence, no bursting bubble.

Last edited:
Since DC is doing three films a year, will Marvel finally up their production schedule?
three films a year from DC? That would mean two Batman trilogies in the next three years with a couple of Superman reboots in between? Sure, why not. Everything else I'll believe as soon as it opens in theatres anywhere.
WB has no concept, no vision, no idea how to do these kind of movies and the latest rumors just prove that.

With the current saturation of comic book movies, I think I don't want them to release three movies a year
Although all I the new movies I care about these days are almost strictly comic book movies

When a lot of us read this thread, I think we all were under the impression of "Marvel doing three films a year" meaning just Marvel Studios. Thats overkill. I rather them take their time and pump out quality movies.

The bubble always bursts. That's why it's called a bubble.

Universal monster movies. Westerns. 80's fantasy flicks. Space opera. Screwball comedies. Disaster movies. Every single genre peaks and then tails off - doesn't die completely, but tails off. Superhero movies will always be around - I'd bet money that Batman movies will be evergreen in the same way James Bond is - but this situation of three, four or even five tentpole blockbsuters a year being superheroes? That won't last.

Marvel Studios DOESN'T NEED TO, why?

1. They're not the one who's catching up.

2. They have a plan up to 2028!

3. Like the others stated above, Marvel has Fox and Sony to do the deeds for them to release other properties and both of those studios have plans already for the future of their franchises and have already put out release dates, 3 Cinematic Universes VS 1 PRE-MATURE Cinematic Universe, you do the math.

4. A lot of hypocrites are crying for a Quantity over Quality bids against MS, now some people wants them to release more???

5. One-shots, considered as shorts which are becoming more relevant than ever before and a lot of easter-eggs will be used for the future of the MCU.

6. They have TV Series up their sleeves within the MCU, AOS and Agent Carter (this is in their own grasp because ABC is also owned by the house of mouse unlike the DC TV series that are scattered across diff. networks (CW, FOX, etc.) and are not all connected with their premature cinematic universe.

7. Netflix series, they have 4 now also connected to the MCU, probably this will expand more and more if these series are huge hit within the Netflix Community.

8. They are heading to their 3rd phase with 9 films released, 2 more to be release for the 2nd phase and 2 are officially announced for the 3rd phase (with a lot of rumors regarding the other films for phase 3).

9. Kevin Feige, master of the universe (MCU), add up the various directors for diff takes on their films (can be also said as their own genres, i.e. IronMan = Techno Thriller, Thor = Fantasy, Cap = Political Thriller, GOTG = SciFi, Space Opera and soon to be added Ant-Man = Heist Comedy and Dr. Strange = some mesh of horror / psychedelic (hopefully) approach, etc. you get the idea).

10. Disney. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Universal monster movies...........

But that's where comic book movies differ, they transcend all those genres. If the bubble was going to burst (if there is a bubble), it would have done it in 2005 with almost 1 new superhero film a month.

It didn't and we're still here almost 9 years later.

Universal monster movies. Westerns. 80's fantasy flicks. Space opera. Screwball comedies. Disaster movies. Every single genre peaks and then tails off - doesn't die completely, but tails off. Superhero movies will always be around - I'd bet money that Batman movies will be evergreen in the same way James Bond is - but this situation of three, four or even five tentpole blockbsuters a year being superheroes? That won't last.

Exactly. I don't want it to happen anytime soon but eventually some other genre will take it's place as the next big thing.

Not bursting in terms of zero films, more in terms of being box office heavy weights or studios being as eager to invest like they are now. The diversity of characters and different platforms going forward is a benefit though.

But that's where comic book movies differ, they transcend all those genres. If the bubble was going to burst (if there is a bubble), it would have done it in 2005 with almost 1 new superhero film a month.

It didn't and we're still here almost 9 years later.

:huh: Your logic is bizarre. There is no specific time for a film genre to be popular. It's popular for as long as the public (not fans) will pay to see it. It's popular until something else comes along which is more popular - which will always happen.

This superhero boom is in so many ways similar to the Universal monster movie craze, even down to the fact that we are now getting team-ups of popular characters/franchises. The Universal horror genre began in 1931 with Frankenstein, peaked in the 1940s, and then declined towards the end of the decade.

Marvel Studios DOESN'T NEED TO, why?

1. They're not the one who's catching up.

2. They have a plan up to 2028!

3. Like the others stated above, Marvel has Fox and Sony to do the deeds for them to release other properties and both of those studios have plans already for the future of their franchises and have already put out release dates, 3 Cinematic Universes VS 1 PRE-MATURE Cinematic Universe, you do the math.

4. A lot of hypocrites are crying for a Quantity over Quality bids against MS, now some people wants them to release more???

5. One-shots, considered as shorts which are becoming more relevant than ever before and a lot of easter-eggs will be used for the future of the MCU.

6. They have TV Series up their sleeves within the MCU, AOS and Agent Carter (this is in their own grasp because ABC is also owned by the house of mouse unlike the DC TV series that are scattered across diff. networks (CW, FOX, etc.) and are not all connected with their premature cinematic universe.

7. Netflix series, they have 4 now also connected to the MCU, probably this will expand more and more if these series are huge hit within the Netflix Community.

8. They are heading to their 3rd phase with 9 films released, 2 more to be release for the 2nd phase and 2 are officially announced for the 3rd phase (with a lot of rumors regarding the other films for phase 3).

9. Kevin Feige, master of the universe (MCU), add up the various directors for diff takes on their films (can be also said as their own genres, i.e. IronMan = Techno Thriller, Thor = Fantasy, Cap = Political Thriller, GOTG = SciFi, Space Opera and soon to be added Ant-Man = Heist Comedy and Dr. Strange = some mesh of horror / psychedelic (hopefully) approach, etc. you get the idea).

10. Disney. Simple as that.

This is insane overkill.

I would say Marvel are drowning their own market, but it's clear that, post-Avengers, Fox and Warner Bros are trying to get maximum money out of the superhero genre while it's hot.

But to think that we're going to get Spider-Man movies every year (Amazing Spider-Man 3, Venom, Sinister Six), new Fantastic Four movies, more X-Men movies, more Wolverine movies, Captain America 3, Thor 3, more Avengers movies, Dr Strange, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Flash/Green Lantern movies, Shazam, as well as the Green Arrow, Gotham, Flash and SHIELD TV shows, and on-demand stuff like Daredevil...all in the next four/five years...is ridicuous.

Marvel have realized this, hence Guardians of the Galaxy which isn't a superhero movie, it's Star Wars. If Marvel Studios is going to survive, it can't just make superhero movies.

Quality over quantity guys.

How about both? We've certainly been getting that since the turn of the century.

This year alone has seen two of the genre's very best, and we're not even half way done yet.

People talk about these two concepts as though they're mutually exclusive by default, but I'll take more quality over one or the other any day of the week. So long as the talent and good intentions are there, there's no reason why we can't continue to have both. The genre certainly isn't on the level of rom coms and slasher flicks, not yet anyway.

Marvel have realized this, hence Guardians of the Galaxy which isn't a superhero movie, it's Star Wars. If Marvel Studios is going to survive, it can't just make superhero movies.

Well, it looks to me like Feige & Co. are two steps ahead you, with several tv/netflix shows in development, along with Guardians, as you mentioned.

What I don't think we'll ever see are biopics and love stories, but they do seem to have a sustainable, solid plan going forward.

I hope not, i think it would be overexposure, and Marvel has created the game, they need to keep setting trends, not following on others. If these rumors are true, WB may easily fall on their heads, since they don't look near as well prepared to do a Cinematic Unvierse as Marvel in 2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"