• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Massachusetts court says 'upskirt' photos are legal

SV Fan

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/05/us/massachusetts-upskirt-photography/

Massachusetts' highest court ruled Wednesday that it is not illegal to secretly photograph underneath a person's clothing -- a practice known as "upskirting" -- prompting one prosecutor to call for a revision of state law. The high court ruled that the practice did not violate the law because the women who were photographed while riding Boston public transportation were not nude or partially nude.

"A female passenger on a MBTA trolley who is wearing a skirt, dress, or the like covering these parts of her body is not a person who is 'partially nude,' no matter what is or is not underneath the skirt by way of underwear or other clothing," wrote Justice Margot Botsford of the state Supreme Judicial Court.

CNN legal analyst Sunny Hostin said the law has not caught up to technology and called it an assault on a woman's right to privacy. "I think the courts got it wrong," Hostin said. "The spirit of the law makes it clear it is about the person's privacy." The ruling stems from the case against Michael Robertson, 32, who was arrested in 2010 and accused of using his cell phone to take pictures and record video up the skirts and dresses of women on the trolley, according to court documents.

Two separate complaints were filed against Robertson with the transit police. Authorities then staged "a decoy operation" to catch Robertson, who was eventually arrested and charged with two counts of attempting to secretly photograph a person in a state of partial nudity. Police observed him point a cell phone video camera up the dress of a female officer, court documents state.

Wednesday's ruling reversed a previous decision by a lower court, which had denied a motion by Robertson seeking the dismissal of the case, said a statement from the Suffolk County district attorney's office.

"In sum, we interpret the phrase, 'a person who is ... partially nude' in the same way that the defendant does, namely, to mean a person who is partially clothed but who has one or more of the private parts of body exposed in plain view at the time that the putative defendant secretly photographs her," the high court ruled.
The ruling that state law "does not apply to photographing (or videotaping or electronically surveilling) persons who are fully clothed and, in particular, does not reach the type of upskirting that the defendant is charged with attempting to accomplish on the MBTA."

Prosecutors had argued that the current statute, which prohibits secretly photographing or videotaping a person who is "nude or partially nude," includes upskirting, according to documents.

But Robertson's lawyers argued that the female passenger on the trolley was not "nude or partially nude" and was not in a place where she had a reasonable expectation of privacy, according to court documents.

"Every person, male or female, has a right to privacy beneath his or her own clothing," Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said in a statement Wednesday. "If the statute as written doesn't protect that privacy, then I'm urging the Legislature to act rapidly and adjust it so it does."
Robertson's lawyer, Michelle Menken, did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Robertson faced misdemeanor charges punishable by up to two and half years in prison.
Free at last, Free at last, finally we free at last to take upskirt photos

an assault on a woman's right to privacy.
Although I don't condone people being creepers I feel that women travelling in public in short skirts and no panties have relinquished their rights to privacy to some extent.
It's at least an invitation to peek.

Although I don't condone people being creepers I feel that women travelling in public in short skirts and no panties have relinquished their rights to privacy to some extent.

There is a difference between someone seeing it by accident, and someone taking a picture of your nethers and putting it online or ******* to it later.

And frankly a person should be able to go commando without having to worry about pervs shoving a camera up their cooch. In the summer when it's 100 degrees with 90% humidity no one wants to wear jeans and underwear.

Like I said I'm not advocating a perverts rights to upskirting but if you're a girl I am sure there is any number of panties made of light materials you can invest in that'll keep your cooch ventilated and free of prying eyes. I've got these bamboo fiber boxers that are simply wonderful!

Shoving cameras in cooches should be a definite no-no as well as getting in someones personal space and angling the camera for a money shot.
On the other hand if you're on a park bench and you're on display and the person takes advantage of that it's as much your fault as his. It's rude and creepy but it isn't illegal for someone to take a picture of you in public without your consent.

Same applies for down blouse.
You want to leave your house without a bra and have a low cut blouse you can't expect the pervs not to take the perceived bait.

Personally I'd never be so boldly repugnant as to take a picture but honestly I've leered. I'm aroused by the sight of a bare breast and it really is no fault of my own if the woman in question has put herself in that position and I don't feel I should be shamed for it.

No. No it isn't. End of conversation.

Thank you, finally some damn sense.

Absolutely no excuse to do it. Hopefully this asinine decision will lead to the overall law being changed.

Fine, then make it legal to kick someone's ass if you catch them taking upskirt photos.

Uhm, no it isn't. If they feel better by wearing those clothes then let them have the liberty to do so without having to worry about males looking at them as if they were food.

tumblr_lvo8nlaWRA1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

matador.gif

anchorman-celebration-gif.gif

It's attitudes like this that cause the horrid rape culture scene that we have right now.

DJ as usual beats everyone to the punch. Almost as quickly as it was deemed legal under the law they passed a law making it illegal.

You really ****ing are. I have no idea how you and Teelie maneuver around the interweb like its the house you grew up in. Knowing every nook and cranny, you could walk through it with your eyes closed.

Not true. There are some nooks and crannies of the web I will never touch. They're too icky.

You just said icky.....that made me lol

That's the best word to use. I also try to avoid the cootie sector.

What if someone wants me to take a picture of their cooter? :huh:

From the phrases I've read in the bill it only applies to unwanted or unknowing targets of the would-be photographer.

Uhm, no it isn't. If they feel better by wearing those clothes then let them have the liberty to do so without having to worry about males looking at them as if they were food.

Yeah, I phrased that bad.
I don't mean that a woman doing this is non-verbally saying, please oh please look at my vagina.

But if they are struck with moral indignation over the fact that I look, because golly I like vagina, they can **** off over shaming me because honestly it isn't so hard to cover up. As I said there is any number of materials that don't suffocate your parts.

If I walked around with my zipper down and my shaft is shuffling in the open air I'd be to blame if people saw and would most likely get harassed by a cop.

It's attitudes like this that cause the horrid rape culture scene that we have right now.

She asked for it?
I suppose me saying it's an invitation to look, when it isn't can draw a parallel but I'm still offended that my poor phrasing leads to me being an implied rapist.

It doesn't imply you are a rapist but it does imply that it allows a permissive attitude towards the "she asked for it" mentality where clearly she must be wanting it because she wasn't wearing underwear.

To be clear here, I'm not defending anyone's actions. If you dress in a way that's going to get attention, expect attention. That does not mean it is acceptable attention for someone to touch or verbally assault another person.

In this case she would be wearing a skirt taking the most basic precaution of not exposing herself (even if she were that is not an invitation to assault, just an indecency charge from the police) and therefore not expecting someone to be looking up her skirt by nefarious means (not normal behavior like mirrors or cameras). That's different than walking around with absolutely nothing covering the genitalia like you "flopping" about (see the indecency charge) and being unable to avoid seeing everything exposed.

Or basically, if she's wearing a skirt and it isn't one that's incredibly short which intentionally exposes her, you should not be attempting to see anything at all in the first place.

Last edited:
I never realized that upskirting was ever illegal.

Frowned upon by many, but didn't realize it was illegal anywhere.

It is a violation of privacy. It's like trying to peak past someone's curtains in their bedroom. Clearly they took the effort to cover the window but if you find an opening or a way around those curtains you are trying to breach their privacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"