Maybe, just maybe...

Chris Wallace

LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
Reaction score
Marvel should focus on getting characters on the screen whose books are STILL IN PRINT. If their comics still sell, they might have a better chance of making successful movies. Mort the dead teenager, Werewolf by Night, Iron FIst-these shouldn't be such a big priority.

They are probably more of a priority because they are cheaper to make and won't require a whole year of post production.

I get that, but I don't see them being a huge draw. The titles alone don't really sound like something that would inspire a lot of people to spend their $8. If nobody goes to see it, what's the point? And don't throw "Blade" in my face b/c that was an exception.

All comes down to marketing. If enough people see a trailer and like that, they'll see it. Whoever is choosing the books at Marvel (Avi me thinks) is trying to pull a few from the background to add to the variety of it.

Marvel just sees $$$ if a movie company want to buy the film rights marvel lets even if it isn't made.

They'll probably send some of the movies straight to dvd just so they can keep the rights to the characters. Case in point. Man-Thing

Chris Wallace said:
Marvel should focus on getting characters on the screen whose books are STILL IN PRINT. If their comics still sell, they might have a better chance of making successful movies. Mort the dead teenager, Werewolf by Night, Iron FIst-these shouldn't be such a big priority.

Would the same go for the following?

Luke Cage
Black Widow
Deathlok
Shang-Chi
Sub-Mariner

I would add Ant-Man onto the list, but from what I hear he'll be getting a new ongoing series during the epic Civil War.

I think it's better, from a marketing POV, to bring characters who are not in print so that movie fans intreasted in reading more about the mentioned character can catch the newest release of that character. It also brings some dead characters back to life, just look what it did to Blade.

Even with Blade, it was never able to translate to a long running and successful series.

Even the big name stuff disappoints, look at The Hulk.

I question the wisdom in spending $120 million on Ghost Rider.

TheVileOne said:
Even with Blade, it was never able to translate to a long running and successful series.

Even the big name stuff disappoints, look at The Hulk.

I question the wisdom in spending $120 million on Ghost Rider.

And moving it to Febuary, to pretty much die. I still thnik it had a much better shot in this summer than it ever will in Febuary.

Ain't that the truth.:( It'll probably make Daredevil numbers, sure, but it could make sooo much more in the summer. Even AVP is getting a sequel for christ's sake.

In the end it's not about what character is chosen but what is done with said character. The sharp contrast between the box office numbers of a character like Blade and characters like The Fantastic Four (even though I enjoyed the movie) shows that.

Batman said:
Would the same go for the following?

Luke Cage
Black Widow
Deathlok
Shang-Chi
Sub-Mariner

I would add Ant-Man onto the list, but from what I hear he'll be getting a new ongoing series during the epic Civil War.
Yes, but at least Cage is in a title that's still in print.

Chris Wallace said:
I get that, but I don't see them being a huge draw. The titles alone don't really sound like something that would inspire a lot of people to spend their $8. If nobody goes to see it, what's the point? And don't throw "Blade" in my face b/c that was an exception.
But it doesn't have to be the exception. The entire point of Blade was Marvel can then go out and say "Look, even our less well known properties can do well at the Box Office if they're developed right, so even though our big guns like X-Men and Spider-Man are taken, we've got dozens of properties that are already developed ideas ready for any and every studio to take a shot at em"

Why WOULDN'T they do this? it's more money in their pocket

Chris Wallace said:
Yes, but at least Cage is in a title that's still in print.

He's in the New Avengers, you're right. Before last weeks Joey Friday's though, Quesada stated there might be a 50 percent chance Cage would get his own ongoing sometime around or after Civil War.

It's like I've said before, Marvel has their priorities out of whack.

I agree. How is it mort the dead teenager, deathlok, and all these other guys are in active development, whereas we have to wait 4 years to see captain america and iron man on screen? Never mind these movies will probably suck anyway. Marvel should focus on the big guns they havent done yet: Cap, Iron Man, Black Panther, Namor, and the Avengers.

Batman said:
He's in the New Avengers, you're right. Before last weeks Joey Friday's though, Quesada stated there might be a 50 percent chance Cage would get his own ongoing sometime around or after Civil War.

:eek:

Are you serious?! Sweet, thanks Batman.

The Batman said:
I agree. How is it mort the dead teenager, deathlok, and all these other guys are in active development, whereas we have to wait 4 years to see captain america and iron man on screen? Never mind these movies will probably suck anyway. Marvel should focus on the big guns they havent done yet: Cap, Iron Man, Black Panther, Namor, and the Avengers.

Umm...according to Avi Arad, they already are focusing on Cap and company...

Even if Deathlok isn't in print anymore, it can be kinda cool if done right.

well, they arent focusing on them enough, are they? Because we still havent gotten anything close to a greenlight.

The Batman said:
well, they arent focusing on them enough, are they? Because we still havent gotten anything close to a greenlight.

Wow, are you behind. Arad gave details on what the Captain America script would be based upon, and the script is currently being written by David Self. Iron Man, is in the process of getting a director and could have one with in the next few months. The script is now done as alot of us know. Black Panther could be in theaters by 2009, and Namor was supposed to be directed by Chris Columbus he dropped out and now a new director is in talks for it. Also with a script and date. Arad also stated there'd possibly be an Avengers movie with alot of the key heroes having films and could be out in 2012.

They're always in development. My point is, how many of those movies have actually been greenlit? How many of those movies are definetely gonna film in the near future for sure? For all we know, those same screenwriters and directors could leave, just like all the rest, and we're right back where we started

Iron Man&#8482 said:
Wow, are you behind. Arad gave details on what the Captain America script would be based upon, and the script is currently being written by David Self. Iron Man, is in the process of getting a director and could have one with in the next few months. The script is now done as alot of us know. Black Panther could be in theaters by 2009, and Namor was supposed to be directed by Chris Columbus he dropped out and now a new director is in talks for it. Also with a script and date. Arad also stated there'd possibly be an Avengers movie with alot of the key heroes having films and could be out in 2012.

Where did you read Black Panther would be in theater by then? As far as I'm concerned, the film won't be picking up for another two years or so. Out of all the movies you've listed, Captain America and Iron Man seem to be the only ones moving along. As for the others, they're in the same department as Panther and I also recall Arad never stating the process of an Avengers movie in the near future. Where ever you read or saw that is completely false, nothing has been confirmed.

If Marvel is going to focus on their C-list characters, they could at least pick the cool ones. I mean, Werewolf by Night? Give me Cloak & Dagger.

Elijya said:
But it doesn't have to be the exception. The entire point of Blade was Marvel can then go out and say "Look, even our less well known properties can do well at the Box Office if they're developed right, so even though our big guns like X-Men and Spider-Man are taken, we've got dozens of properties that are already developed ideas ready for any and every studio to take a shot at em"

Why WOULDN'T they do this? it's more money in their pocket
Okay-it's not more money if the movies flop. And I agree, they can make money without mutants & spiders. Let's be real, they're a lot more daring when it comes to their lesser-known properties than DC/WB. But some characters, IMO, just aren't that deserving of the big-screen treatment. "Mort the Dead Teenager"? Like people are really clamoring for another zombie comedy. "Werewolf By Night"? The last werewolf that had mass appeal was Michael Jackson! Let Marvel's mistakes rest in peace.

Marvel Entertainment has only one priority. Make as much money in any way possible from the properties they got from their buyout of Marvel Comics. Period. That includes any and ALL licensing deals they can get from anyone with the bucks to try and make a success of it. They build-in time limits to their deals so that if you don't have something ready, they take it back and sell it to someone else. That's why Iron-Man is taking so long.
They didn't create these characters. They BOUGHT them. There is no emotional investment. So you'll get whatever they decide pays THEM the most money. Granted, they have a vested interest in making sure everything is as successful as SPIDER-MAN, but that's hit or miss. That movie was made by someone who was emotionally invested in the character and got a great bunch of actors. The new Ghost Rider has a lot of promise. I'd like to see the finished product. Nic Cage is a fan and is not fond of making bombs. This should be a good movie. The effects would be worth the money anyway.
A Luke Cage movie would be a great "Shaft" type of series to develop, but could bomb big-time. Iron Fist? Forget it. A one-trick special.
Fans don't get these movies made.
Investors looking to make quick big bucks do.
If they did Captain America right, it would be the best memorial to WWII you ever saw. It's a shame Spielberg wouldn't do something like this. He'd get it right.
What would happen if all of the fans pooled their money, made the decisions about script, actors, etc. and paid to make the movie of their choice, their way?
Would anybody else want to see it?
(Maybe. Look at what happened with Sandy Collura's Batman: Dead End.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"