Luke Cage & Iron Fist - HEROES FOR HIRE movie thread

A Luke Cage solo movie is more important to me.

I'd rather see an Iron Fist solo film. Immortal Iron Fist was just too cool and awesome not to use as a source. They could do a Heroes for Hire movie partnering Luke Cage with the Daughters of the Dragon or Shang-Chi or something.
A Luke Cage solo movie is more important to me.
I bet they could make both, and a Heroes for Hire movie, all for less than Avengers' total budget, and release all three within two years.

I'd rather see an Iron Fist solo film. Immortal Iron Fist was just too cool and awesome not to use as a source. They could do a Heroes for Hire movie partnering Luke Cage with the Daughters of the Dragon or Shang-Chi or something.

Luke Cage and Shang Chi? No thanks. Part of the appeal of Heroes for Hire is seeing Power Man and Iron Fist working together. Those two are like the buddy movies of comics. That type of dynamic hasn't been seen in any comic book movie yet as a major premise. Those two were always more interesting together anyway than on their own. As separate movies, each could easily go the way of Elektra or Ghost Rider.

Since Shane Black has worked on Lethal Weapon and on Iron Man 3, he could be a potential director for Heroes for Hire.

Luke Cage and Shang Chi? No thanks. Part of the appeal of Heroes for Hire is seeing Power Man and Iron Fist working together. Those two are like the buddy movies of comics. That type of dynamic hasn't been seen in any comic book movie yet as a major premise. Those two were always more interesting together anyway than on their own. As separate movies, each could easily go the way of Elektra or Ghost Rider.

Since Shane Black has worked on Lethal Weapon and on Iron Man 3, he could be a potential director for Heroes for Hire.

I think the way to go about it would be to introduce each seperately via SHIELD. Both Luke Cage and Iron Fist could have a focus episode and then that would open up the possibility of spinning off both into their own Heroes for Hire TV show or film.

Absolutely.
Power Man and Iron Fist were the original Heroes for Hire, and they continued (continue) to be inseparable long after the origiinal series. And there's absolutely no reason at all that Danny *and* Cage's origin stories can't be part of the same movie.

It's "Lethal Weapon" with superheroes.

I bet they could make both, and a Heroes for Hire movie, all for less than Avengers' total budget, and release all three within two years.

I think that would be underwhelming to go from an Immortal Iron Fist to a buddy cop version of a superhero movie.

I don't really care if they are buddies or not, Heroes for Hire has just as much a chance to end up like Ghost Rider as Cage and Iron Fist solos. I would very much rather see an Immortal Iron Fist story.

Iron Fist solo is just another kung fu flick; doesn't matter how much window dressing you put on it. We've seen it literally thousands of times, and somebody else has probably already done a better job of making the same movie many times over.

With HFH, you get a genuine superhero flick, as opposed to just another chop sockey.

I think a HFH movie would be amazing. Whether it would do well at the box office is another question.

Iron Fist solo is just another kung fu flick; doesn't matter how much window dressing you put on it. We've seen it literally thousands of times, and somebody else has probably already done a better job of making the same movie many times over.

With HFH, you get a genuine superhero flick, as opposed to just another chop sockey.

Exactly. And what is more, Iron Fist's "power" isn't really all that unique to him. In other Kung Fu movies or even in shows, people have been able to effectively channel their chi force so that their fist (or other parts of their body) becomes as hard as iron. There's that movie "Invincible Iron Armor" (no, not an Iron Man flick :cwink: ) where that's pretty much the premise of the film, albeit with the villain having that ability. Even in the very final episode of Martial Law, Sammo Hung did what Iron Fist does and smashed through a wall or door with his bare fist.

Immortal Iron Fist might be interesting as a comic, but as a movie, it's pretty much been done thousands of times before albeit with variations on the details. It's nothing new. A HFH movie, on the other hand, is new and fresh to the superhero genre because everything up until now has been either a solo hero or about a team. I can't think of anyone else who would also better suit the buddy movie formula transplanted into a comic book setting than Cage and the Fist.

I think a HFH movie would be amazing. Whether it would do well at the box office is another question.

That's why the casting would have to be dynamite. It would depend on that and their chemistry together as much as the action scenes. That's why having someone like Ray Park (who used to be suggested for the role) would be awful casting. He has little acting ability and is just more of a stunt guy really. It's better to have an actor learn the choreography (as was done for the Matrix movies) than to simply get a caucasian martial artist with no acting ability.

Last edited:
hmm... If the two are paired for a team film, I say skip the solo origins, they'll inevitably get the short-shrift. Just jump right into the partnership. Solo spinoff films can deal with the respective origins.

(on a side note-- considering the overall atmosphere in Marvel Film continuity, how is K'un L'un going to be explained? In the comics it functions as this Shangri-La pastiche, which hasn't been hinted at all yet in the films..)

hmm... If the two are paired for a team film, I say skip the solo origins, they'll inevitably get the short-shrift. Just jump right into the partnership. Solo spinoff films can deal with the respective origins.

(on a side note-- considering the overall atmosphere in Marvel Film continuity, how is K'un L'un going to be explained? In the comics it functions as this Shangri-La pastiche, which hasn't been hinted at all yet in the films..)

The MCU has already gone full-blown comic-book with Chitauri, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Asgard as well. I don't think anybody's gonna balk at the concept of K'un L'un as a hidden mystical place in the MCU.

Here's a thought: whatever style the actual H4H movie has, it should have origin flashbacks for both Iron Fist and Luke Cage. . . that are done in distinct stylization. Iron Fist gets kung fu movie flashbacks, and Luke gets blaxploitation flashbacks.

Searched for an Iron Fist movie related thread, of which there are a few, and saw this, which is more appropriate anyways for what I wanted to discuss.

Now that we're going to get Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows on Netflix, what are your thoughts?

Disappointed that we wont get movies?

After collecting and following the entire run of the Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker I'm a bit heartbroken. I'll never see the mystic city of K'un-Lun in it's full glory, probably never see the Immortal Weapons, probably never see Danny face off against a dragon... Not sure what Netflix budget will be for the 13 episodes, surely better than Agents of SHIELD, but it'll doubtless be focused on him kicking ash in the city.

No origins. That's what the netflix shows are for. It's either a team up aka Hero's for Hire or nothing.

I sort of hope Marvel is planning a Heroes for Hire movie if the Netflix shows are popular enough, but I guess Defenders might just be the MCU version of HFH.

I sort of hope Marvel is planning a Heroes for Hire movie if the Netflix shows are popular enough, but I guess Defenders might just be the MCU version of HFH.

I think Defenders is going to be more like the MCU version of New Avengers ;)

Yeah, two totally opposite origins in a movie would be total crud, especially origins as lengthy, time wise, as Iron Fist and Luke Cage.

But it's all moot, Marvel is making the wise decision of giving each their own separate series, so each can get a proper origin and stand on their own so their team-up matters instead of getting rushed into it.

I want to see the chain belt being used as a weapon.

I would love to see that too, but right now I'm just happy we have some Iron Fist coming our way soon at all, tbh.

Exactly. And what is more, Iron Fist's "power" isn't really all that unique to him. In other Kung Fu movies or even in shows, people have been able to effectively channel their chi force so that their fist (or other parts of their body) becomes as hard as iron. There's that movie "Invincible Iron Armor" (no, not an Iron Man flick :cwink: ) where that's pretty much the premise of the film, albeit with the villain having that ability. Even in the very final episode of Martial Law, Sammo Hung did what Iron Fist does and smashed through a wall or door with his bare fist.

Immortal Iron Fist might be interesting as a comic, but as a movie, it's pretty much been done thousands of times before albeit with variations on the details. It's nothing new. A HFH movie, on the other hand, is new and fresh to the superhero genre because everything up until now has been either a solo hero or about a team. I can't think of anyone else who would also better suit the buddy movie formula transplanted into a comic book setting than Cage and the Fist.

While the kung fu action flick has been done a lot, have we ever seen it done on a big budget level like Immortal Iron Fist might get? The most recent examples I can think of is 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' or I guess you could include some of Jackie Chan's moves - If Marvel Studios is making that movie, it's going to get a lot of attention. On top of that, the kung fu movies that have been done a thousand times are primarily a niche product, maybe except for its heyday with Bruce Lee in the 70s. I think it might actually be a good thing to revive a familiar genre on a blockbuster level. Pop culture is cyclical, and I feel that we're far enough removed from the kung fu flick's highest popularity that Immortal Iron Fist would feel different in the "summer action movie" space.

...except that Iron Fist has been "doomed" to t.v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"