MCFARLANE VS KIRKMAN at SDCC, CBR article

MyPokerShirt

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=7939

Kirkman vs McFarlane, aka Good vs Evil (with a capital[ist] E)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]During the Q&A, McFarlane was taken by surprise by the remarks of a particular fan. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"I don't really buy toys and stuff, but I'm a big fan of your comics," the fan began. "You were really successful with Spawn, but what's next? When are you going to do another comic? You've got to have other ideas, right?" [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]When the laughter and hissing subsided, McFarlane replied. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"I always sort of felt if you could create your own Mickey Mouse, it's a pretty good living. You don't need to do a Donald Duck and a Goofy and a Minnie Mouse. That would have gotten Disney far wouldn't it??Arguably, [I've done that] with Spawn ..." McFarlane stuttered on for a moment about having introduced numerous new characters within the confines of the Spawn series before finally stating, "My life is very complicated. Who's isn't??I have three kids. [I make] the toys you don't buy. I mean, yeah, I do have some ideas, but I can only spread myself so thin."[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]At that point, Brian Haberlin outed the rabble-rousing audience member as none other than Robert Kirkman, writer of Image's "Walking Dead" and "Invincible" comics.I love this guy even more now. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]There is but one word to describe the look on Todd McFarlane's face: pwn3d. HAHA[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"I know Marvel has tried to get you to do stuff and other people have tried to get you to do stuff," Kirkman continued. "You're here because of the comics. I don't want to say you 'owe' it (He does), but why can't you help on a comic book? Why can't you do a new comic book? I think everybody here will agree they'd love to see you work on a new comic!"Damn straight [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Everybody did agree, and when the applause died down, McFarlane answered Kirkman, "You write comic books. You should try drawing one some day, pal." Bit touchy, isnt he?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"I can do layouts!" Kirkman declared.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Yeah," McFarlane responded. "You and my mom."Kirkman's a legend, Sell-out McFarlane should have more respect
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Even behind the "ooohs" and applause, a lone voice was heard in the crowd. A single fan stood up in his seat, held his hands in the air and screamed, "SHAKE HANDS! YOU ARE BOTH MY HEROES! SHAKE HANDS! HUG!"Hippy.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]McFarlane approached Kirkman. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"You wanna do stuff? You wanna do a book with me? How good is Robert Kirkman's stuff?" The crowd went wild, including members of McFarlane's panel.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]*goes wild*
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"How cool would it be for Todd and Bob to do something?" Haberlin yelled.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"OK," McFarlane relented. "If you convince Haberlin, [and if] he convinces me ... me and you."So won't happen, but it'd be cool.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Cue thunderous applause as the pair of creators shook hands. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"And I'll give you some free toys," McFarlane added.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]MyPokerShirt (pretending to be Kirkman): "I'll pass." [/FONT]

Any thoughts? I just love Kirkman more and am more annoyed at McFarlane to be honest.

There's a link like this one on Newsarama, but like all Newsarama stuff it doesnt make it sound so edgy, more like friendly banter. So if there's already a thread dedicated to that one, feel free to merge it or whatever it is you guys do in that situation (flame this one?:o)

Yeah, heard about that. Kirkman rocks. I also hear that McFarlane said: "Thanks for making money for Image." (something along those lines) and Kirkman responded with: "Somebody has to."

yeah newsarama said that. i dont understand how certain points can be left out/ disputed. i mean wasnt the room fulls of journalists?? those journos not exactly earning their money here...

Its a compliment. I didnt mean it like Stan Lee-legend. Just he has become legendary in my eyes for what he's been doing - Walking Dead, Invincible are amazing and i've been asking about McFarlane and his comic-laziness lately so this was good to see.

I know it's a compliment, but I hardly think the term "legend" is appropriate.

so when a friend did something especially cool you never called him a "legend" before? maybe its a cultural thing. plus it is still a matter of opinion. can you try sticking on-topic leaguer. i know you find it hard... :p

No, I've never referred to a friend as a legend. And no, I don't think I will stick on-topic.

dont think i could sit through 10min of mcfarlane to be honest

then skip half way to when kirkman appears.

hehe, i DID. took an age to load stoopid internet. i forget what american accents sound like sometimes. we get so much on TV it usually sounds natural, but that movie hurt my ears. and the corniness of the guy shouting out "You're my heroes! hug!" Urgh.

but yeah it was cool to see kirkman put mcfarlane on the spot.sings: *go kirkman, go kirkman*

The video pretty much shows the newsarama article is a lot more accurate.

It was a lot cooler to read about than to see, I'll say that.

yeah kirkman seemed to be taking a bit of punishment with those sarcy jokes mcfarlane thew at him. i think mcfarlane acted as if he'd had that conversation so many times before, just maybe not from somebody so high profile or in front of that many people.

there was one point where kirkman was talking and mcfarlane started strolling back to the stage with his back turned and looking at the floor. i thought that looked kinda rude, as if he was ignoring rob, despite the fact he was probs just thinkin bout how he was gonna answer he next question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"