Spawn Reboot | Blumhouse

I really don’t think Foxx will top MJW. He’s been around a long time and nothing in his filmography says to me he could pull off Al Simmons

I like MJW but… his range is limited. Foxx is a much better actor and I think he could do this part in his sleep but I think they’re both a bit too old for the role now.

When has Jamie shown the gruffness that Al needs? I just don’t really see it

Foxx wasn’t “gruff” per se, but he was great as a layered, egotistical yet sympathetic character in Any Given Sunday. After watching that, I thought that he could pull off lots of different roles.

Todd McFarlane Teases the Spawn Universe's Future Movie & The Scorched

Last month it was announced Brian Tucker is going to take a crack at the movie script. What about his vision for the project impressed you to bring him on board?

Well, it wasn't just my decision. There's a handful of other people working on it that we haven't announced yet. One of the people working on it: that is going to be a big name when we finally get to announce it. I think he said he went through close to a hundred scripts by as many people as he could. We were looking ideally for someone that could bring a voice to the character on two levels: I'm just a white, Canadian kid. I haven't lived the life of a man in America of someone with dark skin. We thought it was important to get the perspective of somebody who has, someone with that perspective coming in and adding a slightly different bent to what you and I, as comic book readers, already know as to what Spawn is about.

I didn't want to do the comic book origin story from Issues #1-3 in the movie. We were looking for people, without even telling them that, to give something a little bit different. Unfortunately, 80-90% of them, according to the other person involved who was interviewing most of them, were falling into the trap of retelling the comic book story in the movie. We saw that movie, that movie came out 20+ years ago from New Line. So what haven't we seen that would be interesting and relevant today, both in terms of filmmaking and social content.

Sorry to bump with no update but had just been thinking about Spawn lately and was reading up on if there was any news.
I for sure think that Macfarlene wanting to direct is holding this up. If he wants this to get made, I think he needs to give up control and just stay on as a consultant. He even says comic book accuracy isn't necessarily the most important thing to them. So as long as they don't make Spawn like idk Spongebob I think it'll be fine.
Brian Tucker as a writer doesn't inspire confidence either. Broken City was bad.

When has Jamie shown the gruffness that Al needs? I just don’t really see it
Jamie Foxx is an Oscar winning actor and also been nominated for bunches of other high profile awards. And he's shown a lot of range over his decades of working.
If he can do Ray, Collateral, Just Mercy, Ali, Django Unchained, Any Given Sunday, The Tookie Williams Story, The Soloist (bad movie, good performance), hell even his voice work in Soul...he can down Spawn. Even if they aren't gruff roles, Jamie Foxx has shown range for years and for sure can do whatever is required of Spawn

Last edited:
I like MJW but… his range is limited. Foxx is a much better actor and I think he could do this part in his sleep but I think they’re both a bit too old for the role now.
Yeah Foxx could be great. I love MJW but never in a million years would I pick him over Jamie Foxx for a role. Any role.

Foxx does look good for his age. Doesn't look 50 at all, but I see what your saying
Aldis Hodge would be a good Spawn if they want to go younger. Really liked him in Supernatural, Friday Night Lights, Leverage, and Invisible Man.
Daniel Kaluuya would be dope. Corey Hawkins (Dr Dre from Straight Outta Compton) too. Hawkins needs more big lead roles. His bit part in BlackKklansman was great

McFarlane’s script was awful according to everyone who read it.
Did it leak?

I mean look at Collateral if you want a very grounded, serious role for Jamie Foxx. I could see Foxx as a lead in a Spawn reboot. It's a big if though. We'll see if it ever gets off the ground.

If Foxx was in it, I'd hope they'd put a little more money in it.

Yeah Foxx could be great. I love MJW but never in a million years would I pick him over Jamie Foxx for a role. Any role.

Foxx does look good for his age. Doesn't look 50 at all, but I see what your saying
Aldis Hodge would be a good Spawn if they want to go younger. Really liked him in Supernatural, Friday Night Lights, Leverage, and Invisible Man.
Daniel Kaluuya would be dope. Corey Hawkins (Dr Dre from Straight Outta Compton) too. Hawkins needs more big lead roles. His bit part in BlackKklansman was great

Did it leak?

Hodge is playing Hawkman but if he’s up for another superhero role then I agree he would rock this. Kaluuya too; he’s a bit player in the MCU so he might be down to take on a lead superhero role. Hawkins is also a great suggestion.

This also make me wonder who they might get to play the Clown if they bring that character back. I know some people hated Leguizamo’s performance in the old movie but to me, he was the only thing interesting in it. MJW was kinda stiff and Martin Sheen seemed to think he was playing a guy with throat cancer.

I think Spawn would actually make for a great movie. It's just finding an actual writer who could turn the edge-lord source material into a workable script and pulling off all the insane concepts on a budget that would likely be a fraction of what most big-budget comic book features are right now.

It's sort of like how the original Crow worked. But you also need giant supernatural demons, super-powers, and Spawn to have a convincing costume.

Plus you need to beat back the perception of the 1990s B-movie cheese of the original.

Yeah, overcoming the silliness of the 90s movie might be a bit of a challenge but I’m not sure how many people remember it now. And probably most of the ones that do are fans who would be willing to give it another shot. You just need some talent behind it… a good screenwriter, a good director and a good lead. If they do have Foxx, well, that’s one out of three. But Broken City guy writing the script and Todd in the director’s chair give me no confidence.

Hodge is playing Hawkman but if he’s up for another superhero role then I agree he would rock this. Kaluuya too; he’s a bit player in the MCU so he might be down to take on a lead superhero role. Hawkins is also a great suggestion.

This also make me wonder who they might get to play the Clown if they bring that character back. I know some people hated Leguizamo’s performance in the old movie but to me, he was the only thing interesting in it. MJW was kinda stiff and Martin Sheen seemed to think he was playing a guy with throat cancer.
Yeah I realized that when I suggested them but my thinking was
-I don't see Hodge staying as Hawkman for long. I doubt Hawkman has a huge future in the DCEU anyway
-Kaluuya doesn't seem to be in BP 2 so I think he might be done.
-Neither of their roles are starring roles in a rival company's movie and Spawn is an independent thing. Ex. it's not like Anthony Mackie going to play John Stewart for DC the same time he's playing Falcon for Marvel. So I don't mind/I think it'll be fine.

For Clown I have no idea. I think Seth Rogen would be cool. He's never played a villain I don't think. I wanna see if he can pull it off. Dan Fogler maybe

EDIT: You know who would've been dope though? Mahershala Ali. Damn he would've been really good. Better than a (i'm assuming) watered down Blade. Perfect acting wise and he's a recognizable and respected enough name that could've gotten butts in seats.

Last edited:
Yeah, overcoming the silliness of the 90s movie might be a bit of a challenge but I’m not sure how many people remember it now. And probably most of the ones that do are fans who would be willing to give it another shot. You just need some talent behind it… a good screenwriter, a good director and a good lead. If they do have Foxx, well, that’s one out of three. But Broken City guy writing the script and Todd in the director’s chair give me no confidence.
I think everything would be fine despite the 90s movie. I don't think many saw it or care about it.
I think we nerds/fanboys inflate how much the GA cares about certain movies that are deemed bad. Like when Dredd flopped I read a lot of people said "It was because of the 1995 movie" when really I just think that the marketing that wasn't great.
I think that even Green Lantern would be/would've been forgotten if Ryan Reynolds didn't bring it up all the time like "Remember how much this sucked"

As long as the marketing is there and if they keep the budget relatively low (under 100M, maybe even under 75m), it could be fine.

Last edited:
Yeah I realized that when I suggested them but my thinking was
-I don't see Hodge staying as Hawkman for long. I doubt Hawkman has a huge future in the DCEU anyway
-Kaluuya doesn't seem to be in BP 2 so I think he might be done.
-Neither of their roles are starring roles in a rival company's movie and Spawn is an independent thing. Ex. it's not like Anthony Mackie going to play John Stewart for DC the same time he's playing Falcon for Marvel. So I don't mind/I think it'll be fine.

For Clown I have no idea. I think Seth Rogen would be cool. He's never played a villain I don't think. I wanna see if he can pull it off. Dan Fogler maybe

EDIT: You know who would've been dope though? Mahershala Ali. Damn he would've been really good. Better than a (i'm assuming) watered down Blade. Perfect acting wise and he's a recognizable and respected enough name that could've gotten butts in seats.

Yeah, Ali would have been great as Spawn. But I absolutely love that he’s playing Blade so that’s that. True, that version might be watered down from the Snipes version but if I’m being honest, I only thought the first Snipes movie was good. I’ll settle for less gore and cussing if the movies are higher quality. Blade Trinity in particular was a POS but I didn’t even think the second one was very good.

Anyway, that’s off topic but your suggestion of Rogan for Clown is interesting. I guess the character would be all CG, though maybe not? I’m not sure what the best option is for him.

I don’t really think the 1997 movie will affect anything. I mean, people switch so fast now. And that was 25 years ago. Even 8 years between Batman Begins and Batman & Robin, people forgot pretty quickly as long as the quality is there.

Exactly this, make a quality movie and the 25 year old original gets forgotten.

I mean look at DREDD 3D, which I was also very skeptical about before seeing it. I really dug that film. But the problem with DREDD 3D? No one saw it in theaters and it was promoted terribly. The trailers were just terrible.

I do also think there's a market for more adult, grim and gritty comic book fare that Marvel doesn't always scratch which could work for Spawn. It's just can they tap into it?

I don’t really think the 1997 movie will affect anything. I mean, people switch so fast now. And that was 25 years ago. Even 8 years between Batman Begins and Batman & Robin, people forgot pretty quickly as long as the quality is there.

Batman Begins actually had a lot of problems with its marketing in 2005. The movie did OK but people were confused. They didn't know if it was a remake or prequel to Batman 1989. It also took Heath Ledger's Joker to really open up that franchise's popularity again.

Batman Begins actually had a lot of problems with its marketing in 2005. The movie did OK but people were confused. They didn't know if it was a remake or prequel to Batman 1989. It also took Heath Ledger's Joker to really open up that franchise's popularity again.

No one beyond loyal fan-base new we were getting a Batman film in that summer of 2005. The GA knew zero about it coming out.

No one beyond loyal fan-base new we were getting a Batman film in that summer of 2005. The GA knew zero about it coming out.

My point is, the franchise struggled early on, and it still had to struggle to overcome the stink of Batman & Robin, even eight years later.

Also, Spawn is nowhere near as popular as he used to be in the 1990s or as popular as Batman.

He never said it'd be good news.

ni5MOp.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"