• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MCU Captain America vs Chris Reeve Superman

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
This should be a fairer match-up.
Which one do you like more?
Third choice won't be included.

It's an even tie.

Reeve delivered a spectacular performance and really captured the essence of the character.

Sadly his films went downhill, but he still elevated the bad material, unlike wooden Cavill.

Evans captured the essence of Captain America as well and has become the definitive portrayal, just like Reeve.

But Evans' films just keep getting better and better!

Reeve was fantastic, and he embodied the character. Unfortunately he only had two good movies, with his last two films being mostly terrible with a few good scenes.

It doesn't matter who has more good movies, the fact remains Reeve is magical. He is the best realization of a superhero onscreen ever.

It doesn't matter who has more good movies, the fact remains Reeve is magical. He is the best realization of a superhero onscreen ever.
RR as Deadpool gives him a run for his money.

So does RDJ as Tony Stark. I think he'll keep doing cameos as long as Stan Lee did.

And it sounds like many of the MCU characters may be considered iconic portrayals a decade from now.

first, let me say that Civil War is an utter triumph, although it's more of a Avengers film than a Cap film, still it's on a par with the Dark Knight.

Evans is good as Cap, there's no denying that.
But he has the benefit of being in very good films, with great directors and is surrounded by good actors.

Reeve was brilliant as Superman, even in terrible films. His performance wasn't just good or even great, it was flawless and has remained the definitive version of Superman for nearly 40 years.

So Reeve, but ask me in 40 years and I might call it a tie.

Last edited:
Do you want to keep the knife in my back or should I pull it out for you, Aziz. :p

Christopher Reeve is probably still more famous than Chris Evans.

Chew on that for a second.

Eh, that's definitely not true. Ergo, nothing to chew on.

Be honest, how old are you.

Because I would say Reeve is a household name to almost anyone over the age of 25.

I think a lot of this poll, so far, is coloured by the fact that Evans is extremely current, as he's the main character (well, sort of) in a very successful (and deservedly so) and popular film series. CW is brilliant but I don't think it does as much for Cap as it does for other characters, Tony Stark in particular. He's still good, but he doesn't add any complexity or charm to Cap.

Don't get me wrong, I think Evans is a very good Captain America, and has grown into the role, but the thing is Reeve was something special in the role of Superman from the very first moment - so much so that a lot of the success of the film was based on two things, his performance and the special effects (because if you think about if for a moment Superman the movie has one of the worst endings of all superhero films, yet is ranked among the very very best, 93% on RT - and it deserves it, if you saw that movie as a child chances are you came out feeling like you could fly).

People remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hy6S7urCZM

There are a bunch of other actors who could pull of Cap convincingly (Chris Pine leaps to mind immediately !) but Cavill has found himself on the wrong end of comparisons with Reeve - and yes, he's not as charming, but I feel like he's immensely hampered by a terrible characterisation of Superman and terrible storytelling. I think he could be an excellent Superman - but will still fall short of Reeve.

This is more than just nostalgia, because Reeve's performance continues to influence the character. Hell, why did they bother with Brandon Routh in 2006 ? Because he can almost pass himself off as Reeve.

Also, has Captain America in the comics changed or been influenced by Evans' performance ? I ask because Reeve had so much of an influence on Superman that a number of important Superman stories feature Reeve's appearance as the Man of Steel:

supermanbrainiac.jpg

latest

latest

Captain America. Reeve's Superman isn't even my favorite version.

I'd say I like Reeve's Superman better, although I think Evans' Cap is probably more consistently realized and not hampered by an ever-increasing drop in quality in subsequent movies by filmmakers who really didn't give a crap the way Reeve was. As it stands, Cap's my favorite MCU character thus far.

Be honest, how old are you.

Because I would say Reeve is a household name to almost anyone over the age of 25.

Bringing up age proves you have no argument. To which I'll note I am 22 & literally grew up watching the Reeve Superman movies as outside of Batman '89 they were my introduction to the world of superheroes. Still, that doesn't change anything at all.

At one point Reeve was a household name but he's been dead 12 years and in that time Evans has been in TWO going on THREE billion dollar movies. When it's all said and done, he'll have probably appeared in about six or so movies that all grossed over a billion dollars. Reeve didn't ever see numbers like that, even in his heyday.

If you seriously think Reeve, a guy known only as Superman & who didn't have nearly as successful a career as Evans is more popular or well known at this juncture, you're insane/a massive fanboy. Beyond Captain America, Evans is still going to have a successful career....the same cannot be said for Reeve. So no, he's not more popular.

Hell, Superman himself isn't even a more popular character than Captain America overall right now.

Reeve's performances were as good as possible given the circumstances, but that was just about all the Superman films had to offer. I feel the modern incarnation of Supes with Cavill is superior.

I go back and forth on whether Evans as Cap or Snipes as Blade is the best casting ever in a CBM, but it's easy for me to say that the MCU Cap has been the most consistently epic character in a pop culture-changing universe.

Chris Evans is a fantastic Captain America.

But Christopher Reeve IS Superman.

I think a lot of this poll, so far, is coloured by the fact that Evans is extremely current, as he's the main character (well, sort of) in a very successful (and deservedly so) and popular film series. CW is brilliant but I don't think it does as much for Cap as it does for other characters, Tony Stark in particular. He's still good, but he doesn't add any complexity or charm to Cap.
Can't say he doesn't add charm, everything else you said is pretty much spot on.

This post is glorious. :applaud

Captain America is not suppose to be charming.

And in terms of complexity, seeing a character who went from total Government Support in the First Avenger, and the Avengers, to taking down Shield/Hydra in TWS to being an outlaw in Civil War shows just how far his character went and growth.

I think it's a little unfair to compare the quality of movies, because Evans is pretty untouchable in terms of quantity.

I do think that Reeves is Superman but to downplay how good Evans is, especially since we've had how many different Superman since who I feel haven't measured up. Evans character is inspiring to others and again, it's not hard to follow how easy that all these characters in these movies believe in him. It's not a hollow performance. I've said it before doing the goody goody boy scout is a lot harder than doing the anti-hero bad ass.

It's hard for me to vote on this because I think it's not an easy pick, personally

At one point Reeve was a household name but he's been dead 12 years and in that time Evans has been in TWO going on THREE billion dollar movies. When it's all said and done, he'll have probably appeared in about six or so movies that all grossed over a billion dollars. Reeve didn't ever see numbers like that, even in his heyday.

There's one very important detail you forgot to mention: those two, going on three billion dollar films have one common factor: Robert Downey Jr, AKA the most beloved MCU actor by far.

Evans' Cap has never seen a billion dollars when he had to carry the film by himself. Even with the post-Avengers bump, great reviews, and an April release date, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" made $714 million.

IM3 dropped in a competitive May 2013, and made a billion dollars.

If you asked most people, I doubt they'd claim Evans is the highlight of The Avengers, Age of Ultron, or Civil War.

There's one very important detail you forgot to mention: those two, going on three billion dollar films have one common factor: Robert Downey Jr, AKA the most beloved MCU actor by far.

Evans' Cap has never seen a billion dollars when he had to carry the film by himself. Even with the post-Avengers bump, great reviews, and an April release date, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" made $714 million.

IM3 dropped in a competitive May 2013, and made a billion dollars.

If you asked most people, I doubt they'd claim Evans is the highlight of The Avengers, Age of Ultron, or Civil War.

So...in a thread that asks - which actor do you like more - for some of you the answer is the one who generates the most box office.

Sorry...but having personally been a Captain America fan for over 50 years....Chris Evans is who I prefer the most simply because he personifies Captain America to me. Just barely below him is Chris Reeve....because he too personifies Superman to me, but I was not a Superman fan until his first movie was released. He made me a fan of Supes....I had already been a fan of Cap for years.

Christopher Reeve can travel through time and suck out your memory with the power of kissing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"