Danny Elfman vs Junkie XL: Score Rivalry

Discussion in 'Justice League' started by Spider-Aziz, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

Or the Theatrical Release vs the Snyder Cut, which score did you enjoy more? Which one is better?

I'm sure Tom Holkenberg made more tracks and recycled less of his tracks, that should make it a fairer comparison now.

:oldrazz:

2. Calvin Ellis Retired

Junkie XL is better because it fits what came before and the style of the movie. Elfman score would've been great if it was meant for Reeve & Burton's Superman and Batman.

Tyler77, Spider-Aziz and chintai80 like this.
  3. chintai80 oh hi.

no contest. junkie xl's soundtrack all the way!

i don't remember anything about elfman's.

i think elfman's peaked. doesn't take away from his legacy though. he made a lot of great music back then, but i think his time has passed. it comes to everybody.

4. Chip Chipperson the big guy

I'll say this, I would have much preferred Zimmer come back for JL. Junkie XL was too heavy handed in a lot of places and I feel like there were some big moments where his score fell flat. The Flash speed force scene he did well with, gotta give credit there.

Elfman I can't even give a grade to, its an incomplete. Uninspired, reliant on the nostalgia factor in little places and he probably had what? a few weeks/months to put something together for Joss?

Zimmer coming back and bringing a lot of the MOS motifs with him would've elevated this thing considerably. His score in MOS definitely elevated the movie for me.

5. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

At this point I don't think a poll will be necessary, Tom Holkenberg will definitely dominate it.

Most of what I remember of Elfman's score is his use of some notes from his Batman theme on the GCPD scene.

6. Rick190293 Registered

I love Elfman, but his JL score sucked so much. Only liked the Rooftop meeting with Gordon, and this because of the old Batman theme... everything else was bland and forgetable.
    Junkie XL's JL is great, loved his main theme.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  7. Pennywise Registered

Junkie

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  8. kguillou Registered

Junkie XL and its not a contest. This track alone from the tunnel sequence trumps all of Elfman’s work on the movie.

This music gives the entire tunnel action sequence a completely different vibe and energy than Elfman’s whimsical strings from the Whedon cut. I remember i was nodding my head throughout this entire sequence thanks to how energizing the music was.

9. Rick190293 Registered

Yeah, million times better than theatrical ost! This and the Batman vs parademons in the Batmobile. They feel like completely different scenes just by the soundtrack.

10. chintai80 oh hi.

love this part of the soundtrack and how it enhances the scene.

it reminds me of nine inch nails.

it's like the official theme for when the JL bout to beat some parademon ass!

Spider-Aziz and Calvin Ellis like this.
  11. kguillou Registered

I LOVED Junkie's revamped Batman theme for this too. His theme in BvS was a little too...generic? It fit the tone of the movie and the way Batman was in that movie but I love how Batman's score in this is much more badass and heroic.

The suite here is just everything, it is 100% classic BATMAN:

12. Micromind Registered

Tom Holkenberg's best score followed by Mad Max Fury Road.

As for different DCEU sores, my order for preference...

MoS, ZSJL, BvS, WW, Aquaman, Shazam, WW84, BoP, SS.

13. kguillou Registered

Lowkey even though the movie was disappointing Zimmer’s WW84 score is fire. I have it in constant rotation and it keeps making me wish the movie was better :(

Spider-Aziz and Rick190293 like this.
  14. Gieferg Registered

Elfman's score is better. Period.

I have Elfman's on CD and enjoy it outside of the movie - I cant even imagine I could do that with Junkie's score.
    In my edit of ZSJL I've got rid of 95% of Junkie's music.

mclay18 and Spider-Aziz like this.
  15. Spider-jedi Registered

both were forgettable imo. Elfman was too nostalgic and Junkie XL was just beh. it was the first ZS movie where the soundtrack left no impression. i cant even hum it

J.Drangal and Spider-Aziz like this.
  16. mclay18 Registered

While people like to throw shade at Elfman's JL score because he reused his Batman theme and brought back Williams' Superman theme, the Snyder Cut leaves in several cues used in the temp track from MOS and BvS.

And while Holkenborg showed MAJOR promise with his score for Alita Battle Angel, he went back into the RC moody phase for the Snyder Cut. It's nice to see him revisit the Superman motif Zimmer introduced in MOS (and rarely used in BvS) as well as the WW war cry, but the underscore gets boring after a while.

But Elfman's score gave the Josstice Cut energy and emotion. Holkenborg botches the scoring for the Superman resurrection scene, while Elfman captured the suspense, uncertainty and awe of what was happening.

Gieferg and Spider-Aziz like this.
  17. Gieferg Registered

Junkie and Elfman can't beat that:

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  18. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

Elfman is a legend but his JL score simply wasn’t, give Holkenborgs any day.

Spider-Aziz, Micromind and Rick190293 like this.
  19. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

I love Elfman but yeah this was his worst score I’ve heard

Spider-Aziz likes this.