MCU Magneto: Should they update his origin?

Just say all mutants age slower. Its not that difficult. Lol Will also play into why humans hate them vs. regular heroes.

My first inclination would be to keep his Holocaust background, especially since I think there are ways to explain his decelerated aging. But I wouldn't be opposed to updating it to a more recent genocide.

I am intrigued by a civil rights inspired magneto and Charles but I would also be crushed if magneto wasn't Wanda and pietro's old man. So I'm very torn

I am intrigued by a civil rights inspired magneto and Charles but I would also be crushed if magneto wasn't Wanda and pietro's old man. So I'm very torn

Contentious opinions imminent...

For me, there is not much conflict.
To me, Magneto adds nothing to Wanda's character (writers, especially X-Men writers, bend her character to fit around him), and she definitely adds nothing to him, given her disinterest in ideology, while his entire character is ideological. It's the old sexist trope of female characters orbiting around the alpha male patriarch type.

Its alpha male dick worship, basically. Magneto ruthlessly pumped and dumped Wanda's mother, and we are then supposed to think Mag's one night stand with some no-mark **** now has super-important emotional weight.

Looking at the godawful handling of her in the comics, if Wanda were a male character, the focus would have definitely been on Chthon and Set as her antagonists, but because its the men who do the important stuff, she instead got relegated to boring, twee family drama.

I'm always a bit puzzled by the commonly perceived parallel with MLK and Malcolm X.
Beside the fact that it must would have come after the fact, Professor X is the appropriate stand-in for Malcolm X or the Black Panther Party for Self-Defence, while Magneto would be more in line with the Weather Underground.

Malcolm X was as far as one could possibly get from a terrorist, while Magneto for large periods of his comics life has espoused terrorist tactics.
They are vastly different degrees of radicalization, Professor X and Cyclops are the ones espousing self-defense of their community and culture by any means necessary, that's what the training and the strike squad (X-Men) are for.

To me, Magneto adds nothing to Wanda's character (writers, especially X-Men writers, bend her character to fit around him), and she definitely adds nothing to him, given her disinterest in ideology, while his entire character is ideological. It's the old sexist trope of female characters orbiting around the alpha male patriarch type.

Its alpha male dick worship, basically. Magneto ruthlessly pumped and dumped Wanda's mother, and we are then supposed to think Mag's one night stand with some no-mark **** now has super-important emotional weight.

Looking at the godawful handling of her in the comics, if Wanda were a male character, the focus would have definitely been on Chthon and Set as her antagonists, but because its the men who do the important stuff, she instead got relegated to boring, twee family drama.
He said Wanda and Pietro, not just Wanda. Honestly the tension within the relationship of all 3 is an interesting aspects to explore, I think.

I really like the idea of Hydra experimenting on Magneto during WWII and granting him unusually long life

Definitely contentious. See I see it as exactly the opposite. Would could be more feminist than Wanda escaping her bigoted patriarchal father and her overly needy brother.

Plus the drama of having one of the most prominent people on the most prominent security task force with a link to a known terrorist is so appealing

I agree with everything you said. The "relationship" between Wanda & Pietro and Magneto was an unnecessary retcon that happened two decades after they were introduced. During the brief time the twins were under Magneto's sway he treated them like slaves. Wanda was a particular object of his abuse, which often took on creepily sexual overtones. The story that supposedly revealed that Magneto was the Maximoffs' father never sat well with me because of the prior abuse they suffered at his hands.

The retcon of the retcon finally put things right, in my opinion. Wanda isn't related to Magneto in the MCU and she doesn't ever need to be. It should stay that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"