MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything that really distinguishes Fantastic Four from Ultimate Fantastic Four, apart from the age difference, is in the context they're placed in, and that context is largely made of characters and concepts Fox don't have. I'm pretty sure I've seen Feige, when questioned about FF, indicate that there's a list of every character Fox can exploit under the terms of their deal. If they had every character that was introduced as a FF villain or part of the FF supporting cast, they'd have Black Panther, they'd have the Skrulls, they'd have the Inhumans. The only characters we really know Fox can use are the ones they either used already or mentioned as possibilities for Fantastic Four 3. I think that list looks like:
Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, The Thing, Doctor Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Alicia Masters, Puppetmaster, probably the Mole Man.
That may be most of the list. Maybe they have a few others (Dragon Man? Diablo?)
It sounds like they don't have a lot of room to move around in with these characters.

That might be true on cases like Thanos and people like that the FF have encountered, but you're asking if they have the rights to Mr. Fantastic or Mr. Fantastic. Ultimate Reed Richards is still Mr. Fantastic. There is no difference other than the series he is featured in and a different take, but comics are ALL different takes from writer to writer. If this were true, then what about Heroes Reborn FF? Do they count as another entity?

I don't see anyway Ultimate Reed would be seprate rights from 616 Reed. Heck, movie Doom had elements of Ultimate Doom.

Also, Singer WAS in fact involved in the bad X films too, as much as fanboys hate to admit it. We was still a producer on X3 and Wolverine.
I'm no Singer fangirl, but I've seen no evidence that he was involved with those. :huh:

He certainly wasn't a producer at any rate.

I'm no Singer fangirl, but I've seen no evidence that he was involved with those. :huh:

He certainly wasn't a producer at any rate.
The only thing he had to do with those was the fact that he had some ideas for x-3 and wanted it to be made back-to-back with x-4 wich ultimately didn't happen and his plans weren't used, making the last stand a completely different film that he would have liked.

Bryan Singer wrote a treatment for X3 with his friends and when he got tired of being pushed around by Fox and Warner offered him the Superman franchise, he bolted. He did offer to produce the sequel and let Fox use his treatment, but they basically told him to get bent and then did everything they could to beat Superman Returns to the box office. Even Matthew Vaughn gave up, it was such a hopeless rush job.

As to Fantastic Four, who knows what Fox owns... but it ain't much. The deal they signed with the producer of the Corman version, which is who sold it to Fox, was so poor that they didn't get most of the characters associated with the franchise. Tim Story wanted to do Black Panther and then suddenly stopped talking about it, which is when I'm guessing the Fox lawyers realized they didn't have the rights to squat outside a small period of the comic. I mean, really, the best they could do after screwing up Galactus was Puppet Master?

If Fox inherited a deal where they only get access to the first few years of the comic, and they already blew the origin AND Galactus, they're better off selling it back to Marvel. At least with X-Men, they've got like 13,946 characters and 50 years of continuity.

He was uncredited. I just read a 4 page long interview with him and Donner for First Class and he talks about still being very involved with Donner and advising the films, but Rothman didn't want him anywhere near it so he got no credit. I don't think he had much to do with Wolverine though, although he again advised Donner as far as X-Film continuity goes (which was clearly very helpful :p)

Could you link me to the interview? I tried googling it, but it's hard to find exact interviews like that on google.

It was in a weekend newspaper entertainment liftout here in Sydney, sorry bro :(

Edit: Although, I think he may have mentioned it a little in the recent First Class issue of Empire, although not in as much detail. If i had a scanner i'd post it, because it's a great interview. It's by a film buff, so there are a lot of great questions about the failing of the franchise with X3 and Wolverine. Singer defends X3 but is very quiet about Wolverine lol. I'm sure if Donner wasn't there he may have had more to say :p

Singer defends X3 but is very quiet about Wolverine lol. I'm sure if Donner wasn't there he may have had more to say :p
how could he possibly defend that travesy?! especially if he wasnt involved. i guess hes brown nosing.

That's interesting, in my issue of Empire regarding First Class (UK magazine, so it may differ) Donner talked about how she often texted Singer during the later two films, wishing he was directing.

I do remember Singer saying Ratner did a good job on X3, they're friends afterall and Ratner did the best he could with the rushed ten-month production schedule. But this is all really for the X-Men forums, we should get back to discussing the MCU here and the X-Men characters whose connection to the rest of the Marvel Universe I often found tenuous.

Would it be possible for Marvel to buy back some characters from the different franchises? Like, some mutants from the X-Men, some villains from Spiderman etc. Fox still keeps it's X-Men license and we get say Scarlett Witch back.

Would it be possible for Marvel to buy back some characters from the different franchises? Like, some mutants from the X-Men, some villains from Spiderman etc. Fox still keeps it's X-Men license and we get say Scarlett Witch back.
I don't think they'd entertain this idea. It would be far more difficult, legally, and far more expensive to pick a studio's deal apart a la carte than to take everything back at once.

I'd like to see Marvel get Fantastic Four and Daredevil back from Fox (both of these properties are fairly useless to Fox right now, even if they can't officially acknowledge it.) With X-Men, Fox have more characters than they could ever exploit and a self-contained superhero universe concept. If they let Bryan Singer run that series, they could keep going for a very long time.
I'm assuming there will be no Ghost Rider 3, in which case that property will revert to Marvel a few years after the next movie. Like X-Men, Spider-Man is pretty much gone for good. I doubt we'll soon see an end to Sony recasting, "rebooting" it like it's the Bond franchise.

See, my theory a while back was eventually Fox would realise people accept the MCU as canon filmic Marvel. Think about it, after avengers, when they've done all the solo films, that's 10 different franchises all connected. X-Men would seem so insignifcant in comparison. We can only hope then they would see it's in their interests to cut some kind of deal. Let Marvel use the characters, make the films but they take percentage or something. They'd still make money, especially if they weren't dealing with the production costs.

See, my theory a while back was eventually Fox would realise people accept the MCU as canon filmic Marvel. Think about it, after avengers, when they've done all the solo films, that's 10 different franchises all connected. X-Men would seem so insignifcant in comparison. We can only hope then they would see it's in their interests to cut some kind of deal. Let Marvel use the characters, make the films but they take percentage or something. They'd still make money, especially if they weren't dealing with the production costs.
If they manage X-Men correctly, they've got an insane number of characters to deal with. They haven't even scratched X-Factor, X-Force, X-Statix, New Mutants, etc. They might be able to rebound from First Class and start rebuilding to the momentum they had after X2 again.

It was in a weekend newspaper entertainment liftout here in Sydney, sorry bro :(

Edit: Although, I think he may have mentioned it a little in the recent First Class issue of Empire, although not in as much detail. If i had a scanner i'd post it, because it's a great interview. It's by a film buff, so there are a lot of great questions about the failing of the franchise with X3 and Wolverine. Singer defends X3 but is very quiet about Wolverine lol. I'm sure if Donner wasn't there he may have had more to say :p

No offense, but I'll believe you when I see the article.

If they manage X-Men correctly, they've got an insane number of characters to deal with. They haven't even scratched X-Factor, X-Force, X-Statix, New Mutants, etc. They might be able to rebound from First Class and start rebuilding to the momentum they had after X2 again.

They need to get somebody like Duncan Jones and stop hiring guys like David Slade for Wolverine. Then they need to put Singer back on the main franchise and get the balls to do Deadpool right.

I have no faith in any of this happening, but I would like to be wrong.

Terrence Hill said:
No offense, but I'll believe you when I see the article.

None taken, as long as you don't take offense to me not caring. :p

He told Ratner X3 was good at a screening for it, so I believe he would defend it.

My mistake, I meant to say after the Avengers...I could see IM3 and maybe Dr. Strange in 2013, with Iron Fist coming out in 2014, although 2013 is also a possibility. Found this awesome Iron Fist movie logo. :awesome:

34sjts4.jpg
While I'm super excited for an Iron FIst film, I'm actually a lttle more excited for a new Daredevil filmas well as a Doctor Strange film. :up:

While I'm super excited for an Iron FIst film, I'm actually a lttle more excited for a new Daredevil filmas well as a Doctor Strange film. :up:
The next Daredevil movie you'll see is probably a remake from Fox. This is probably also the last Daredevil movie anyone will try to make for a very long time. The character will enjoy the same status as The Punisher: too "damaged" to carry a feature film series, possibly suitable for a supporting role in another character's movie (or, maybe more likely, development for television.)

I have every confidence that Marvel will do something interesting with Doctor Strange, though.

^^ Which is sade considering how much I (atleast) loved the directors cut of Daredevil. Alot of people did, actually.

I'm also a big fan of the Daredevil: Director's Cut, as is Jon Favreau. Any Fox remake of the movie is going to hit the same creative snags as Fantastic Four, because the first Daredevil movie adhered a lot closer to the comics than people would think.

That leaves them with the choice of either making the same movie again (not gonna happen) or try to make something based on the later material like Ann Nocenti and Bendis' stuff. Judging by what they did to Nocenti and Miller's material in Elektra, they're probably screwed.

http://collider.com/kevin-feige-interview-thor-avengers-iron-man-3-ant-man-doctor-strange/88459/

Collider claims that Feige revealed what's in the vault, but he didn't really at all. He couldn't even clearly recall the objects he did name, though I'm glad they cleared up that it wasn't the Eye of Agamotto.

What Collider *MISSED* as news in their interview is that Marvel has seemingly given up on a second summer 2012 film. They talked about announced more films for 2013, but Avengers will be filming through September leaving no time to rush another film out by the summer. Most films of that size need to start a year and a half early at the minimum, so they're already in a mad rush just to meet their May release date. If they hit any production snags and need some re-shoots or pickups, their entire Marvel cast may need to assemble (sorry!) at any point between October and March for those shots.

ALSO, Feige pretty much confirmed a Namor film is being developed at Marvel Studios. Avi Arad had tried to make it at Universal for years and it only recently reverted to Marvel. If you watch the SHIELD map at the end of Iron Man 2, they even hint at something Avengers-related going on in the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"