• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MCU's second "arc"

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
Feige was recently quoted in saying that Phases 1-3 of the MCU constitutes one "arc" of the MCU. Starting with Iron Man and ending with Avengers 4.

"This original 22-movie arc ends with the untitled Avengers in May of 2019 and then two months later it will be Peter and Spider-Man (on July 5, 2019) that usher us into the aftermath and how things proceed from there.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/01/spider-man-star-tom-holland-says-no-to-venom

Describe your ideal second "arc" of the MCU. If Thanos was the big bad of the first arc, who will be the big bad(s) of the second? How will it progress

Galactus would be an obvious choice if he were available. But perhaps someone else in the interim (next 5-10 years) until the third arc. Kang? Korvac? Masters of Evil? Sinister Six?

Kang is a more obvious choice, since he's an Avengers villain, and is also capable of socializing and building in threat in a way that Galactus cannot.

Ideally:
Phase 4:
Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel all get outings
[Edit: Final of Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy, also would be end of Ant-Man Trilogy, now that I think about it.]
Thunderbolts and Black Widow as the new properties
Masters of Evil as the Avengers villain
Avengers still features Cap, IM, Thor, and Hulk as normal, though in limited capacities.

Phase 5
Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy all finish their trilogies.
Thunderbolts and Black Widow have additional entries
Hulk and Namor are the new properties
Avengers deals with a Secret Invasion and a Kree-Skrull War

Phase 6
Thunderbolts and Black Widow finish their trilogies. Hulk and Namor have their additional entries.
Cap 4 with Bucky and Spider-Man 4 with Miles and Fantastic Four are the new properties.
Avengers deals with Kang and traveling all through the entire MCU timeline.
The big Arc-ending event deals with Galactus coming to Earth, and everyone together dealing with the inevitable end of the world. As a point of reference, this would be the year 2030. RDJ would be 65, and this is where he would officially hang up the mechanized suit and be replaced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, aged 49.

Last edited:
It would be cool if Iron Man got a Logan-style sendoff after Avengers 4. Call it The Invincible Iron Man.

Only hero I can see getting a Logan-style sendoff would be Hulk.

Kang is a more obvious choice, since he's an Avengers villain, and is also capable of socializing and building in threat in a way that Galactus cannot.

Ideally:
Phase 4:
Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel all get outings
Thunderbolts and Black Widow as the new properties
Masters of Evil as the Avengers villain
Avengers still features Cap, IM, Thor, and Hulk as normal, though in limited capacities.

Phase 5
Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy all finish their trilogies.
Thunderbolts and Black Widow have additional entries
Hulk and Namor are the new properties
Avengers deals with a Secret Invasion and a Kree-Skrull War

Phase 6
Thunderbolts and Black Widow finish their trilogies. Hulk and Namor have their additional entries.
Cap 4 with Bucky and Spider-Man 4 with Miles and Fantastic Four are the new properties.
Avengers deals with Kang and traveling all through the entire MCU timeline.
The big Arc-ending event deals with Galactus coming to Earth, and everyone together dealing with the inevitable end of the world. As a point of reference, this would be the year 2030. RDJ would be 65, and this is where he would officially hang up the mechanized suit and be replaced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, aged 49.

Vol. 3 will be the end of this iteration of the Guardians, so Phase 5 would likely kick off something different.

I'd also hope the rights issues with Universal gets resoved with the Hulk and we can see Grey Hulk on the big screen. David's run in general would be a gold mine.

Hopefully an off the board Guardians-type property be given a shot, I'm partial to Hit-Monkey myself.

And of course the MCU-inspired Korvac Saga

It's really hard to come up with an compelling comparable second arc, since most of villains big enough to be thread throughout 3 phases or provide themes that can be explored arc-wide are either held hostage by Fox or were used already.

The only ones remaining are the Celestials, but I think that's too close in theme too Thanos and the Infinity Stones

Kang would be a good one if they could actually use him. Galactus would be another one, but of course...

I don't think the Celestials would work as compelling villains though.

Depending on how things go with Sony, they could go the Norman Osborn route and do Under Siege basically.

Or they could bring back Ultron or Dormammu, I guess

Kang, Korvac, Ultron and the Leader are the ones who could be massive threats. Assuming they stick to the same playbook. They may not want the overarching Thanos-type threat for awhile.

Maybe they wont do an another arc, instead making more stand-alone movies. At least, maybe not another 10 year arc.

Ultron for a second arc would be dope.

Zemo or Norman Osborn would be cool, particularly if they get weird and make it as if they are good guys at first. This could be tied into a Masters of Evil/Thundbolts plot. Red Skull or Mandarin could step up. Mayyybeee a Sinister Six arc... but eh idk.

I'd also love to see Korvac. But similarly to Galactus I'd say he's more like an all out force of nature than a several phase master plotter. And I also think that it doesnt have to get larger in scale. It can even go smaller. Just still world ending.

I'd be totally fine if they wait til "Arc 3" for Doom and Galactus though (please someday though...)

Last edited:
It would be cool if MCu got FF then you could do:

Avengers 5 - Skrulls

Avengers 6 - Skrulls pt. 2

Avengers 7 - Masters of Evil

Avengers 8 - Kang

I'm also thinking they should take a break from doing Avengers movies phase 4-6.

Then bring back the franchise with a vengence with a new Cap, IM and Thor for phase 7.

Masters of Evil would be awesome, or the Thunderbolts.

But I think they wouldn't be called the Masters of Evil. You can't have bad guys in an MCU movie calling themselves the Masters of Evil.

I'd like to see Ultron return. I loved his character and they can definately build upon Whedon's version.

I'd like to see Ultron return. I loved his character and they can definately build upon Whedon's version.

I'd rather see new characters that return to previous ones. Sure you can build on it, but will it add anything significant or just add more details into what we've already seen? Bring in something different to keep it fresh.

They could reuse Ultron and make it different in every way. Design, voice, characteristics, tone, everything. Another option at least.

reuse Ultron and make it different in every way. Design, voice, characteristics, tone, everything.
This is the only way I'd want to see him return. Nothing against Spader, but he just wasn't Ultron.

This is a tough question.

Without the FF especially, it's hard to imagine anything topping Thanos. All this buildup, and so many characters done so well. I know people are hyped for the future but a Captain Marvel, Wasp, Black Panther and Vision lineup just does not excite me nearly as much as Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Cap. For villains, Galactus sorta overlaps with Thanos in a lot of ways, but Doom would feel unique and he's certainly worthy of many, many films. Wish we had him.

Kang is a fine choice for a single film. Earth's Mightiest Heroes did a terrific arc with him, but time travel plots are risky. Not something to build fifteen films around.

Red Skull would be interesting.

I get the sense they'll adjust their approach slightly. By all accounts the next two Avengers films will be two of the biggest productions in cinematic history, with both films having massive budgets and shot exclusively on IMAX cameras. The massive culmination of 10 years of films. How do you get any bigger then that? Do you even want to? They may not want a Thanos level threat hanging over the MCU for the next few Phases. That's what's exciting to me, the sense that they'll change their approach and come up with something just as compelling.

However if they were to go that way, then I agree that DOOM is the obvious choice.

I think Kang and time travel could be something special as well. Risky perhaps, but I'd put my money on them delivering something great and epic.

Right now Doom and Kang are not options.

Just go with the High Evolutionary.

I'd rather it be Dark Reign/Seige.

Phase 4 is the breather Phase where hopefully a deal can be worked out with Fox for the Kang rights where we'll see little bits of time itself being messed with before a massive finale.

Phase 5 is where the aftermath of Phase 4 puts Norman Osborn in control of SHIELD. He kills Gwen Stacy and then conquers Asgard. Green Goblin needs to be the big bad for an entire phase who managed to have conquered the world for multiple films.

1) Adam Warlock

2) Possible Avengers Vs Fantastic Four vs Defenders vs Inhumans

3) Avengers vs Fantastic Four vs X Men

4) Kingpin + Red Skull + Loki + Norman Osborn + The Real Mandarin Vs The Avengers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"