The Dark Knight Rises Michael Caine as Alfred Thread

I am not sure there is food under there. Perhaps when he lifts the lid it is a warning of some-kind.

It's definetely food, you can see some carrots and what seems to be cucumber.

Does anyone else get the sense that Alfred might be quitting in the scene in the trailer? It would fit perfectly with Batman Begins. Instead of Alfred trying to convince Bruce to stay as they go up the stairs, maybe this time, Bruce is trying to convince Alfred to stay as they go down the stairs.

I could definitely see Alfred quitting over Batman. Whereas at first, Alfred was in it to protect Bruce.... now, he realizes that the only way to truly protect Bruce is to try to stop him from being Batman. And the only way to do that is to leave.

It also makes sense in terms of storytelling structure. Most heroes usually have to lose their guide, and then journey forward to defeat evil on their own. If The Dark Knight rises on his own, without any help, it'll be much more impactful in terms of Bruce's character development.

I rewatched Begins the other day and the Bruce/Alfred scenes are just so emotional. My favorites are the scenes with Alfred and young Bruce and the one of him and Bruce at the Batcave after Bruce was stabbed and Wayne Manor was burned down.

munchie64 said:
In a BIG "What If" story in the compilation comic "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader" Alfred was the one behind ALL of Batman's villains. He wanted Bruce to have a more exciting time as Batman and stop his depression, so he dressed up as theatrical styled villains. Anyone else remember that?

He hired his friend to play some of them and the guy went crazy and started killing people. Also I think Alfred pretended to be the Joker so Batman would have an arch rival.

A little "spoilers" warning would've been nice, my lad. I started that story but never got to the end, where I suppose that Alfred twist was revealed. Oh well.

I saw a tangerine in there too.

:funny:

A little "spoilers" warning would've been nice, my lad. I started that story but never got to the end, where I suppose that Alfred twist was revealed. Oh well.
It was like in the middle of the book, and at the start of that particular story. All the stories in that book aren't real anyway.

I don't think Alfred quits. I think Bruce fires him, more like disowns him. Somehow the truth about Rachael choosing Harvey over Bruce has to come out, and in a fit a rage Bruce kicks Alfred to the curb. Alfred of course sets out one last meal for his young master before leaving.

in the trailer it more looks like Alfred has a hard time being next to Bruce .because he is batman for 8 years.

I don't think Alfred quits. I think Bruce fires him, more like disowns him.

That's an interesting idea. Whether Alfred quits, dies, or is fired, it seems likely that he won't be around for the entire movie. However Alfred exits, that's going to be an emotional scene, for sure.

I don't think Alfred is going to quit. Alfred is 300% devoted to protecting Bruce, so what's the point in quitting? It could be that Bruce lets him go (or fires him, however you want to put it) to prevent Alfred getting hurt.

A part of me wants Alfred to die. I love the character, but just that would give it a huge emotional load for me personally.

I don't see Bruce firing Alfred unless it's to get him out of harm's way. Hey maybe Alfred quits pre-Bane chaos and then when Bruce got his back broken and was imprisoned by Bane, it's actually Alfred and his friends that break Bruce out of prison!

99fA6.jpg

If Alfred does die in this one, this is how that scene should go:

Bruce has just escaped from the prison, and Bane is interrogating Alfred about his whereabouts.

BANE (choking Alfred): You know where he is, old man. I know you do. Now tell me while I allow you to.

ALFRED: Nevah.

BANE: Ah, loyalty. An admirable sentiment. Very well then. (snaps Alfred's neck with one hand.)

Alfred should die like a boss, staring Bane in the eye and sticking by Bruce through everything.

I don't think Alfred is gonna die but isn't it rumored that
Fox
is the one to bite the dust?

Yes, it seems that character will bite the dust. Or crust.

I'm going to be bold and predict that neither of them will die. :D

I'll take a stab with Talia's sword and guess Fox dies and Alfred lives.

Speaking of which, I really want to see Tatelia with a sword. :hrt:

I don't think Alfred is going to quit. Alfred is 300% devoted to protecting Bruce, so what's the point in quitting? It could be that Bruce lets him go (or fires him, however you want to put it) to prevent Alfred getting hurt.

A part of me wants Alfred to die. I love the character, but just that would give it a huge emotional load for me personally.

Alfred has quit more than once in the comics canon the first being, coincidentally, during the whole KNIGHFALL saga when he expresses frustration at Bruce, now in a wheelchair, still putting his life at risk.

^ I was one of the very first people to ask the question of Alfred possibly quitting when the trailer was first released. A lot of people hadn't thought about that maybe being the scenario, but the scene where he quits in Knightfall was the first thing that came to my mind. I think the dialogue he says to Bruce in the 2nd trailer is the same scene as the dialogue from the third. I can see this Alfred getting so upset and devastated at seeing that Bruce is beyond help now because he refuses to let himself heal. And also blaming himself for not stopping Bruce when he started his crusade or not convincing him to stop after Rachel died.

I can see the scene being along the lines of this:

"You are as precious to me as you were to your own mother and father. I made a promise to them that I would protect you, and I haven't. I've stood by while you have ruined yourself and your life. Non-stop self inflicted torture. And then this happened. I have tried to help you heal, but with your refusal to let yourself I can't help you anymore. Nor can I stand by and watch you die. I won't bury you. I've buried enough members of the Wayne family. It breaks my heart to say this to you, but I hereby tender my resignation. Goodbye, Master Bruce. I love you."

I'm going to baw my eyes out like a little baby during this scene.

As more and more footage keeps coming in from the film, I'm starting to get increasingly worried about Alfred.

Formerly it was rumored that Fox would die, but now we've seen him in a lot of footage after Bruce comes back from Bane's prison.

But what worries me is that, as far as I can recall, there haven't been any footage of Alfred post-prison. And now that clip of Bruce screaming in agony while in prison as if he's seeing a loved one in distress...

And now that clip of Bruce screaming in agony while in prison as if he's seeing a loved one in distress...
If lives are at stake each time Bruce climbs the tunnel, I actually hope Alfred's life is at stake the time Bruce last climbs out. It would be unreal.

As for Lucius, it strikes me how tragic he could be in TDKR. Building toys and tempting Bruce to come back. Bruce does come back, and Fox is under the impression he died a violent death at the hands of Bane. Trying to do something out of desperation and guilt, he gets the Camo Tumblers ready but is is double crossed by Tatelia. Then killed.

^ I'm starting to think that Team post-Prison in the "I need you to get me back in the game" is correct. Fox looks so relieved to see Bruce (hand on Bruce's shoulder). That would alleviate some of his guilt.

The only person I really couldn't handle getting killed off is Alfred.

If he died after all that it would be heartbreaking and a grim way for the character to go out. It would be very tragic. However we do see Fox in the TDK bunker in the TV spots, and we see him in WE as well. So he's made a switch in location at some point and we discussed it possibly being because they're hiding away from Bane. And then there's the clothes they're wearing. Good cases for team post prison.

Well, to me, the biggest mystery is what happens to Alfred while Bruce is in prison. Or just before. We don't see him in prison with Bruce, and there's no clips of him that seems to be post-prison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"