Michel Godry In Talks to Direct TGH

M.E.H.Z.E.B

Banned Usèr
Reaction score
Back in December, we brought you the news that Stephen Chow would not be directing “The Green Hornet,” a project written by and starring Seth Rogen, but Columbia Pictures now appears to be in negotiations to replace Chow with director Michel Gondry. That’s right — the same man who directed Jack Black and Jim Carrey in comedic sagas of the slightly surreal will now try his hand at a superhero film.

Announced today by The Hollywood Reporter, the choice of Gondry (”Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” “Be Kind Rewind”) could signal a very different direction for the project than initially proposed by Rogen or envisioned by the studio.

Previously, Rogen told MTV that he and co-writer Evan Goldberg wanted to do an origin story similar in tone to “True Lies,” with an emphasis on the characters’ personal relationships.

Chow reportedly stepped down from directing duties for “The Green Hornet,” citing creative differences, but will remain on to co-star with Rogen as the title character’s sidekick Kato. The possibility loomed that Chow might withdraw from “Green Hornet” altogether, but he is apparently still attached to take on the role originally held by film legend Bruce Lee in the “Green Hornet” TV series.

Do you think Michael Gondry is a good choice to direct “The Green Hornet”? What do you think his style will bring to the film? Offer up your thoughts in the comment section below!

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/02/24/michel-gondry-in-talks-to-direct-‘the-green-hornet’/

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about this guy. I'm not real happy with the whole comedy aspect.

^I can live with the comedy aspect. Not every super hero movie needs to be The Dark Knight.

^I can live with the comedy aspect. Not every super hero movie needs to be The Dark Knight.

If this was Plastic Man or Howard the Duck I would agree....but Green Hornet wasn't a comedy.

I personally don't understand why this movie is even being made. Does The Green Hornet even have a fan base anymore? Did he ever, really? I mean, the original TV series got canceled after one season, didn't it?

Hollywood has been trying to get this production off the ground for a decade or two now... I remember back when Greg Kinnear was set to play the character. I personally feel it's time to give it up and put the money behind more interesting and relevant characters.

If this was Plastic Man or Howard the Duck I would agree....but Green Hornet wasn't a comedy.

You're right it wasn't but when the only sphere of reference is a 60s tv series that (aside from giving Bruce Lee his big break) is mostly remembered as being as campy and ridicoulous as the Batman one you can't blame the creative team.

Besides comedy or not Gondry is hardly a hack and one of the most imaginative directors out there. The results should be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"