Miles Morales is Coming to the 616!

blalex620

Comics, Books, Games
Reaction score
http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...n-miles-morales-headed-to-the-marvel-universe

So it looks like the time is here. Miles Morales is making the move to the 616 universe. Now I've never read a Morales Spidey story before but I see the potential of having him in the main U. Especially now that Doc Ock is Spider-Man (still hate it).

The only problem I forsee with bringing Morales into the 616 is that he could get lost in the a thousand and one characters Marvel has in the 616. Hopefully they do some great things with him and don't relegate him to background status.

What do you guys think will happen to him in the 616?

Just like how Peter Parker died in the Ultimate Universe, I'm hoping a similar situation is in place for Miles in the 616 Universe. The last page of Spider-Men #5 seems to suggest something bad has happened to 616 Miles anyway.

If I were making the decisions I would have 616 Miles been one of the children killed in the explosion in Stamford, Connecticut at the beginning of Civil War. A kind of cruel twist that his 616 counterpart was killed by costumed superhumans while his Ultimate self became one of them.

It would also mean Ultimate Miles would have a home and a family to go to without having to awkwardly share his room with his 616 twin. :D

Hope he stays as Spider-Man, and gets with the Mighty Avengers, as rumored. Nice to have an alternative to SpOck.

The Amazing Spider-Man-style costume in the Inhumanity poster is probably Miles.

The Amazing Spider-Man-style costume in the Inhumanity poster is probably Miles.

That kinda goes against why he changed his costume in his universe? I went to red and black out of respect for his dead predecessor.

So there'll be two Spider-Men in the 616 comics, neither of whom will be Peter? That'll be kind of trippy. Not really interested in either, personally, but if Miguel O'Hara were to stick around in the present for his own ongoing series... now that I'd start buying in a New York minute. :up:

Miguel might stick around. I have a feeling he gets stuck in the 616.

Yeah, the way everyone at Marvel is talking about how the timeline is "broken" after Age of Ultron, that's what I'm hoping for. But I'd need him to have his own series. I'm picking up the Superior arc he's in, but I'm not gonna keep doing that if he just starts guest-starring in Superior now and then. Too much to keep track of.

I have to admit I am disappointed the Ultimate Universe is going to be canceled (or so this news and other rumblings from Marvel suggest.)

I have to admit I am disappointed the Ultimate Universe is going to be canceled (or so this news and other rumblings from Marvel suggest.)
I agree it will be sad to see it go but when you think about it the Ultimate universe has kind of run its course. It was created as a sort of clean jumping on point for new readers to pick up and as a place where writers and artists could do things they would otherwise not be allowed or able to do with 616 titles.

Marvel NOW! is doing what the Ultimate line did back when it was in its infancy so more new readers are jumping on into 616 continuity rather than Ultimate.

There's only 3 active titles right now anyway isn't there?

I agree it will be sad to see it go but when you think about it the Ultimate universe has kind of run its course. It was created as a sort of clean jumping on point for new readers to pick up and as a place where writers and artists could do things they would otherwise not be allowed or able to do with 616 titles.

Marvel NOW! is doing what the Ultimate line did back when it was in its infancy so more new readers are jumping on into 616 continuity rather than Ultimate.

There's only 3 active titles right now anyway isn't there?
There were allways 3 active titles in the line, i haven't been following Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates since around issue 15 but it was a pretty good title, with an interesting plot. If the Ultimate Marvel universe ends then they better make the Maker AKA Reed Richards an active villain in the 616 universe

I wish Marvel just pulled a New 52. I'm enjoying that more than any series in Marvel Now!

Well at the moment Bendis doesn't want to speculate on "unsubstantiated rumors." So it just might be that the Ultimate line is not being discontinued. However like many have said the new Marvel NOW is doing what the Ultimate line was intended for so it might defeat the purpose of having both.

That's been true for a while now. Like it or not, Marvel's string of events has rendered the 616 universe more compelling to new readers, judging by sales of the big 616 comics compared to sales of Ultimate comics. So the Ultimate line has lost its relevance and is now just another random alternate universe that has 3 ongoings dedicated to it for basically no reason. Personally, I think it's well past time they shut down that particular experiment and moved back to focusing 100% on great 616 comics, but I haven't been interested in reading anything from the Ultimate line since Ultimate Carnage ate Ultimate Gwen Stacy.

Is there anyone else who is taking great joy in the fact that you can essentially blame Wolverine's irresponsible actions for destroying the Ultimate Universe?

Not really because only a few guys at Marvel know how to write Wolverine well instead of a stab happy dolt.

That's been true for a while now. Like it or not, Marvel's string of events has rendered the 616 universe more compelling to new readers, judging by sales of the big 616 comics compared to sales of Ultimate comics. So the Ultimate line has lost its relevance and is now just another random alternate universe that has 3 ongoings dedicated to it for basically no reason. Personally, I think it's well past time they shut down that particular experiment and moved back to focusing 100% on great 616 comics, but I haven't been interested in reading anything from the Ultimate line since Ultimate Carnage ate Ultimate Gwen Stacy.

That's pretty much when I dropped Ultimate Spider-Man, as well. How did they explain her coming back to life?

Is there anyone else who is taking great joy in the fact that you can essentially blame Wolverine's irresponsible actions for destroying the Ultimate Universe?
Well I like that they're actually having something happen as a result of what Wolverine did. For a while now they've always said messing with the timestream can cause major repercussions and now we're seeing them happen in a whole different universe. Plus I like how they brought in Gaiman's character Angela into the Marvel U using this too.

Makes you wonder if the events in New Avengers somehow stemmed from this.

Wolverine may have been the one who finally broke the timestream but it is far from his fault alone. Time travel has been abused by nearly every group in the 616 universe for so long that it was only a matter of time. Between the Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men (I'm lookin' at you, Cable), and Dr. Doom, the timestream was already weakened significantly. If it hadn't been Wolverine in AOU it would have been someone else and probably not much later.

It's like if a plane crashes 'cause it's overweight (pretend that can happen, okay?). Is it the last passenger to board's fault? I know that's a poor example but the point remains the same.

Random question here: when you guys read "Marvel/Earth 616" do you read/say it as "six-one-six" or "six-hundred-sixteen"? Is there a "proper" way? I have always been a "six-one-six" guy myself.

I've always said it and heard it as "six-one-six". Saying "six-hundred-sixteen" or "six-sixteen" just doesn't flow like "six-one-six".

I've heard it pronounced "six-one-six" in interviews/podcasts that were semi-official but I don't remember where. :huh:

That's what I figured it was supposed to be. I have been saying it that way for years (like it's basically an area code as opposed to a whole number), then one day thought "hmm... I wonder if that's right."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"