Spoilers Movie Moments That Didn't Age Well

Spoilers
The whole way Braveheart portrays Prince Edward as this sniveling weakling "sissy" gay caricature is pretty cringey, and the bit where Longshanks throws his (implied) lover out the castle tower window leaves a really bad taste because it feels like it's played for a dark laugh.

Also the super-cringey assassin gay couple in one of the old Bond movies.

Seventies-eighties-nineties thrillers were full of examples of homosexuals, if they appeared at all, either being villains or just complete jokes, or both.

Last edited:
The whole way Braveheart portrays Prince Edward as this sniveling weakling "sissy" gay caricature is pretty cringey, and the bit where Longshanks throws his (implied) lover out the castle tower window leaves a really bad taste because it feels like it's played for a dark laugh.

Seventies-eighties-nineties thrillers were full of examples of homosexuals, if they appeared at all, either being villains or just complete jokes, or both.
Disney villains being played up as gay caricatures like Scar and Jafar.

Scar was a gay caricature?
It's been a while since I last saw Lion King, can anyone freshen up my memory.

Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman fighting "Doomsday" in an abandoned oil rig. Sure, it minimizes casualties, but the lake of overall stakes makes it feel like a reactionary choice rather than an inspired one.

Scar was a gay caricature?
It's been a while since I last saw Lion King, can anyone freshen up my memory.
There's a few essays on YouTube about it. They were given effeminate, gay, or androgynous like characteristics or mannerisms to give the viewer an alien or not quite right quality to them to feed into uneasiness, which is why I say it didn't age well. It's a trend we see that's been phased out in more recent films.

I used to love American Beauty back in my twenties but now that I have a couple of teenage daughters I can't identify with a middle age man that lusts for his teenage daughter's friends.

It's just plain creepy.

Then you have the Kevin Spacey allegations baggage.

There are other cringey aspects the way the film lacks subtlety.

I used to love American Beauty back in my twenties but now that I have a couple of teenage daughters I can't identify with a middle age man that lusts for his teenage daughter's friends.

It's just plain creepy.

Then you have the Kevin Spacey allegations baggage.

There are other cringey aspects the way the film lacks subtlety.
Is that the one with the guy obsessed with the plastic bag in the wind?

The bit in Terminator 2 when John Connor asks the T-800 why Skynet would attack Russia, given that "We're friends now".

Does seem a tad naive 30 years on eh?

Disney villains being played up as gay caricatures like Scar and Jafar.
Jafar was voiced by a gay actor and still wasn't the most flamboyant character in that movie. :o

VG2JJQI.gif

A lot of the old Bond movies pre-Brosnan, I'm talking mainly the 1960-1990 sort of era featuring primarily Connery, Moore & Dalton. Couple of instances with some of the "Bond Women" are quite creepy & cringe, if I recall there are some that Bond comes damn close to nearly forcing himself onto some of them.

Lots of '80s comedy movies I'm sure.

I immediately think of Revenge of the Nerds (which was one of my favorites) where one of the main characters had a crush on one of the jock's girlfriends so he stole the guy's costume and tricked her into sleeping with him. Of course because of the type of movie it was, she was completely fine with it when she found out because it was 'wonderful', lol. Probably lots of examples from those types of comedies back then.

Lots of '80s comedy movies I'm sure.

I immediately think of Revenge of the Nerds (which was one of my favorites) where one of the main characters had a crush on one of the jock's girlfriends so he stole the guy's costume and tricked her into sleeping with him. Of course because of the type of movie it was, she was completely fine with it when she found out because it was 'wonderful', lol. Probably lots of examples from those types of comedies back then.

Also where they're all voyeuring on naked girls.

I thought that portrayal (Diamonds Are Forever) felt intentionally OTT ridiculous, at least not mean-spirited.

Overboard. Dong, Mr. Yunioshi, Chuck and Larry.

A lot of the old Bond movies pre-Brosnan, I'm talking mainly the 1960-1990 sort of era featuring primarily Connery, Moore & Dalton. Couple of instances with some of the "Bond Women" are quite creepy & cringe, if I recall there are some that Bond comes damn close to nearly forcing himself onto some of them.

Dalton films tried to openly 'avoid' this situation and make him more 'human' in his interactions, especially in TLD, but Connery & Moore, yes, absolutely.

Ugh, Chuck and Larry already felt like it should have been made twenty years earlier (or, ya know, never) by the time it actually came out, let alone aging well.
The best part of Chuck and Larry was the Jessica Biel bikini stuff. Sandler and Kevin James trying to play gay will always be unbelivable

Noticed this outdated joke watching the first Raimi movie awhile back... Spider-man insults Bonesaw (Macho Man Randy Savage) during the wrestling match with, "That's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"