• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Vampire - Part 3

Famously, Buffy had a particular balance of drama/horror and comedy which, in a very intrinsic sense, defined the series. And we’ve all seen other shows that attempted to replicate this formula — with limited or dubious success. So it’s probably a safe bet that any Buffy reboot or sequel would, likewise, fail to capture the original, “Whedon-esque” sensibility. Therefore… don’t even try? I’m thinking that a successor series would be better off taking a more dramatic/darker approach. Not necessarily because “dark” is cool or trendy. But because comedy is hard; and getting the right “comedic balance” is especially tricky.

What might that look like? :shrug: Arguably, Angel took a slightly more “serious” tack to the very same universe. So perhaps something in that direction could serve as a rough template.

i liked Angel's tone a little better, but it still had its comedic moments.

Buffy is popular, but apparently not so popular that there is any real momentum to a reboot. Fine by me really.

I'd love a video game personally. I liked that old Buffy Xbox game quite a bit. Or even an Angel game set in 'Hell-A' after the finale. Rip off Bloodborne for that one, instant win.

Buffy is popular, but apparently not so popular that there is any real momentum to a reboot. Fine by me really.

I'd love a video game personally. I liked that old Buffy Xbox game quite a bit. Or even an Angel game set in 'Hell-A' after the finale. Rip off Bloodborne for that one, instant win.

They cant even give us an actual remaster so...doesnt matter how popular it is or isnt....Disney is fine with it collecting dust.

Now you're talking my language. The first game that was the Xbox exclusive is criminally underrated.

Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-Xbox-2002.jpg

^ There are actually quite a few Buffy games. There were at least 3 handheld ones (mostly trash) and two 3D action games back in the 6th gen. Most of the cast provided voices too. They were fun.

Now you're talking my language. The first game that was the Xbox exclusive is criminally underrated.

View attachment 81832

Hell yeah. It was a surprisingly solid tie-in game for the time. In leiu of a new title, chuck this on the pile of remakes. I'd buy it.

Some recent thoughts I've had since Disney isnt giving me more Buffy at the moment...likely never while Im young.
  • Throughout Buffy we were introduced to various Watchers (not part of the inner Council) and especially in Season 5, it would've been nice to encounter 1 or 2 that actually had been paired with a Slayer and hear about their experience of teaching them and losing them. Esp as Buffy is on her journey to understand her Slayer self more.
  • Faith was always in competition with Buffy and the one thing she was able to beat her at...even if its kinda a cheat...is being the longest living "activated" Slayer. The Slayer line runs through her. Thank you coma, jail, and Buffy for picking up majority of the work lol.
  • If the world is down a Slayer and your other Slayer is in jail......
    • Would the Scoobies have tried to get her out of jail?
    • Would the Watchers Council try to get her out of jail?
    • Would they have tried to kill her so the next Slayer could be called?
    • The fact that TWC even allowed their "active" Slayer be put in prison for that long was kind of marvelous and....honestly unrealistic when we really look into it given how important The Slayer is to keeping the world going and keeping TWC relevant.
  • I always found it weird that Zabuto was Kendras Watcher since she was a child....and then sends her to Sunnydale....alone? Isnt part of the whole "Watcher" part is to...watch your charge?
    • It would've been nice to be introduced to him and see him interact with Buffy/Giles. The more I think about it...they probably should've made him into Wesley.
  • The Watchers Council vs. Wolfram and Hart: This is definitely one piece of Buffyverse lore that I'm sad we never really got.
    These two very opposing forces being at odds with one another and kind of playing chess.
    Always wanted to have a scene with Buffy/Lila and the snark off that could've been after Buff fumbles one of their plans/clients.

Gonna pitch you my Buffy reboot! Inner city school in New York. An Afro-Latina Buffy Summers is in trouble for accidentally setting her school gymnasium on fire after the school dance gets crashed by a local gang. Luckily, she doesn't get charged with arson as it was one of the members' Molotov cocktails that set it ablaze but eventually gets expelled. Her parents enroll her in a private school in the suburbs where her bad past follows her. Meanwhile, in a nice suburban home, a blonde woman is sending off her kids to school. As she closes the door she gets attacked by a gang of demons. She fights off the demons and when she pins one to the ground the camera pans up to see Sarah Michelle Gellar's Buffy Summers asking why they're here. He tells her they're here to kill Buffy Summers. She quips that they obviously failed, but then he tells her not her to which Buffy is confused. Enter the main title theme!

Okay, this one stings…

Oh sure everyone loves Willow until they remembered the ill-conceived story line in the sequels comics where she charms Buffy in an awkward lesbian romance. :o

Gonna pitch you my Buffy reboot! Inner city school in New York. An Afro-Latina Buffy Summers is in trouble for accidentally setting her school gymnasium on fire after the school dance gets crashed by a local gang. Luckily, she doesn't get charged with arson as it was one of the members' Molotov cocktails that set it ablaze but eventually gets expelled. Her parents enroll her in a private school in the suburbs where her bad past follows her. Meanwhile, in a nice suburban home, a blonde woman is sending off her kids to school. As she closes the door she gets attacked by a gang of demons. She fights off the demons and when she pins one to the ground the camera pans up to see Sarah Michelle Gellar's Buffy Summers asking why they're here. He tells her they're here to kill Buffy Summers. She quips that they obviously failed, but then he tells her not her to which Buffy is confused. Enter the main title theme!
I genuinely want to know more!

I genuinely want to know more!
Long story short: Willow messing with the Slayer line in the series finale had consequences. A temporal paradox was created where the anomaly of the Slayer line being disrupted starts to repeat itself. Essentially Willow accidentally rebooted Buffy as she was the last Slayer before it was tampered with in the first season. So Willow and Buffy try to figure out how to fix this and save New Buffy from getting killed by her Big Bad as similar events play out but are not exactly the same. Pretty much this is a parody of reboot and sequoots. Buffy becomes New Buffy's mentor and essentially her Giles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"