Movies About Your Job

redhawk23

Wrestlin'
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a movie that is about your job?

Whenever a big space movie comes out there is always talk about how the movie compares to real life but do movies properly present other occupations? Have you ever called shenanigans on something because it is at odds with what you do 40 hours a week?

Recently I finally got around to seeing the film Short Term 12. The film is about the workers and residents of a group home for teenagers in the foster care system.

I've worked in a similar facility for the last 2 years. I've known about the movie for most of that time but I'd held off because I expected to hate it due to it being sappy or unrealistic.

I finally sat down and watched it, and I have to say, while some of my suspicions were proven correct I love the film. The reason being is that the while the film leans towards the overtly dramatic, it balances this by getting so many of the smaller details scarily right.

The film is the most honest presentation I've seen of how kids in those kinds of facilities can be. I was taken aback by how the film reflected my own experiences working with kids, the way things can go from totally fine to having to restrain some one in a matter of seconds.

Even the films more unrealistic aspects speak to realities of the job because so many of the scenes are essentially wish fulfillment. I related to so many of the character's frustrations with the foster care systems failures to protect kids but unlike me, the protagonist of this film got to outright scream at her boss and latter take a baseball bat to a car belonging to an abusive parent.

Much of the film is based around the adult characters relating to the kids' trauma and while that dynamic can certainly be true, in my experience you would never, ever actually tell a kid those kinds of things about yourself. It just gets in the way and can be used against you in ways you can never expect. You learn to self edit, even as you share stories and wisdom. For instance, if you found a reason to mention a story or a memory involving your sister or a girlfriend in order to make a point, it is better to just change it to being just about a "friend" because almost invariably some kid will store that small bit of personal info away. Later when they decide they want to lash out, a months old mention of your family can lead to a 14 year old screaming that they will rape your sister. They'll throw anything at wall that they think might stick and info is ammo.

Among the best elements of the film is a subplot involving a new staff members first few days on the job. I have to say those parts of the film could have been pretty much a documentary of my early experiences on the job: Showing up over dressed the first day, saying something to accidentally offend the kids, advice to just say no to any request, being completely unprepared for the reality of **** hitting the fan when kids have a break down.

The set for the film is accurate even down to the kinds of signs on the walls and pill dispensers they use. It was kind of surreal.

Looking into the film's backstory, the writer/director himself had a few years working in a residential facility before going to film school. His experience really shows.

So Short Term 12 is the only movie that I've seen about my job. How well has Hollywood portrayed your gig?

Commando is a pretty accurate portrayal of my job.

Kidding, I don't think I've ever seen a movie based on my job. It has been featured here and there in various movies, and in those scenes they never show people how hard it really is.

Office Space and The Office is my daily work life. Yes my boss is even like Michael Scott. He wants to be everyone's friend and does not know how to actually manage and does not want to because he's afraid to hurt someone's feelings. True Story here lol. I'm a Engineering Drafting Designer.

What do you do for a living?

Warning! Disturbing content.

I clean up other people's garbage, blood, crap, vomit and slime. Cleaning business. I've seen some movies where it looks like a relaxing job:hehe:, but it's really not. You see a lot of sick and depressing stuff.

I've not experienced it yet, but some of my collegues had to clean up blood splatter and pieces of flesh after a crazy woman tried to kill herself in a public toilet. Another time they had to clean up "leftovers" from a corpse. Horrific stuff.

"Luckily" the most disgusting thing I've experienced was cleaning up after a guy who crapped all over the walls in a mall. Brown fingerprints everywhere...and the smell. I had nightmares for days (not really. But I had a long shower). People crapping on the floor, smearing it all over...sometimes I wonder if people stand on their heads when they're taking a crap...you find it on the ceiling.

Like I said, sick and depressing stuff. Some people behave like animals when there's no one else around. It's a stressful and frustrating (and extremely dirty) job sometimes, but I'm glad I have it.

I bet there a lost Laurel and Hardy movie out there somewhere, where the guys are cleaning up other people's crap in a public toilet.

Stan (high pitched voice): "Ollie, there's **** everywhere *starts crying*"

Oliver: "This is a other fine mess you've gotten me into! Just scrape it off, you idiot."

Stan (hysterical): "I got it on my hands! Oooooh *freaks out*"

(Oliver looks into the camera, upset)

I like scenes in movies and television shows when characters are working in grocery stores. I used to work at a grocery store for three years. Those scenes are a reminder of how mundane the job was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"