MST3K Kickstarter

"Who must we kill to slake your anger!!!"

I find myself having a hard time enjoying this, simply because I'm having difficulty telling these guys apart.

Last edited:
I had the same issue back in the day with the old show but when you get used to it you can start to tell them apart. And I did have that issue for the first few episodes but as you go along you start to recognize their voice more and more.

It is jarring getting used to the new voices for Crow and Servo....but just about done with the first episode and it's really funny. I think they'll do OK. :up:

Episodes 2 and 4 are what made me fall in love with the new crew.

And holy cow, Starcrash. I'm surprised Lucas didn't try to sue them.

I will say, the random guest appearances are weird. Like, why?

Well Mark Hamill was a backer for the new season. He said Joel Hodgson contacted him to see if it was really him after the Kickstarter, and asked him if he wanted to cameo in the show.

I don't know, [blackout]Jerry Seinfield[/blackout] showing up was a complete shocker.

I will say, they are doing great with the little music bits that they do.

I finally got around to this just this week.

Full disclosure, I have been a MST3K fan since the old Comedy Channel days, that was before the Comedy Channel and Ha combined to become Comedy Central.

I adore the Joel era on CC, while honestly not feeling the Mike era on Syfy, even while liking a lot of the Mike shows from CC. Hearing about the re-boot even with Joel Hodgson's participation I still was wary. I am sorry but I find Jonah Ray to be a pretty flop sweaty comedian. Also... Felicia Day's participation is a huge WTF? to me. So I took my sweet time getting around to it. Also... I honestly have heard next to nothing about the show anywhere else. Having finally cracked it a few days ago... They pretty much nailed it.

Sure, I think the "host" segments are on the weak side, and indeed Day seems to have zero comic timing, still, the most important part, the in theater riffing is ****ing aces! And no one is more surprised than I. Ray and the other performers do a great job, the film selections are perfect for the show and they did exactly what I was hoping for... Keeping the general DIY aesthetic that the old show was known for only with a slightly higher budget. So far of the ones I watched the stand outs are THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT, AT THE EARTH'S CORE, THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN'T and STARCRASH.

I hope this was successful enough to warrant another season. A tweak here and there (sacking Day, making Patton the main Mad I think would improve those segments) and I and it would be near perfect. Color me wonderfully surprised.

I just got back from the two MST3K Live shows in NYC tonight. It was hysterical!! It had taken me a little time to warm up to the new show (although I do really enjoy it), but they were on fire tonight.

The first show was Eegah, and it was glorious. The second was the "secret" show, which turned out to be:

"Argoman The Fantastic Superman". It was an Italian James Bond/superhero dreck that they made hilarious.

Kinga and Max were on video, but the rest of the crew was on stage live. There was a new Tom Servo, since Baron Yount's wife has a baby on the way soon. I can't remember who played Servo tonight, but he did great.

It was just so funny. Even the show segments worked really well. When "watch out for snakes" finally happened in Eegah, this animated graphic came up and the music went nuts and they were shooting spring snakes at the audience. Then they kept making it come up again whenever anything remotely snake-related happened. They even did it again during the second movie.

It was so awesome to see Joel. And we saw the original TV's Frank too! Frank Coniff was sitting right in front of us during the second movie.

But if get a chance to see it, GO. It was insanely funny!

Last edited:
Sounds awesome. Wish I could see the crew live.

I hope they film the two tour shows and release them at some point. The updated Eegah is hilarious, and the second movie....there are just no words. :funny:

There's so much energy on stage when they're doing the show live too, since they're feeding off the audience reactions. Also, I'm pretty sure Jonah cut himself with a cheese grater during the Invention Exchange. He stopped, and it looked like maybe he cut his hand and was trying not to laugh, and Servo made a joke about laughing at his pain.

The theater was right around the corner from Hamilton, so during a duel joke during one of host segments, Jonah said, "Oh look, they're doing Hamilton!" and Crow said, "Wow, we should have charged more..."

There were a few callbacks to the original show too...besides "Watch out for snakes," there references to "This is where the fish lives" and "Trumpy, you can do stupid things!", among others.

And Joel was everywhere - we saw him helping with the stage setup before the show, and he was working a camera during a few of the host segments. He also pushing the spring snakes they were selling at the merch table, pointing out that it was terrible time for the spring snake industry because they cleaned them all out getting them for the tour. :funny:

There's a really good writeup of the two shows here too:

https://www.geek.com/television/mst...the-new-series-greatest-episodes-yet-1706695/

I SO hope they get another season on Netflix, or anywhere.

If you are having withdrawals, Amazon Prime has some Rifftrax up for streaming.

Well Jonah's back and not dead apparently. I like his new haircut though. Mac and Me should be fun.

They are doing the Turkey Day marathon early. On right now.

Love that ATOR is getting the MST3K treatment. Was a memorable bad movie from when I was a kid.

I have to ask though, is the new season only 6 episodes? Was "The Return" season well received? I am a persnickety Misty and frankly I think Jonah and crew nailed it and I can't say I am all that much of a fan of his stand up.

Well, they don't have that kickstarter money anymore.

Time to start the gauntlet.

Wait, Mac and Me is first, ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"