5 Hollywood Secrets That Explain Why So Many Movies Suck

good article, its a shame that they choose to stifle the film industry in order to earn as much money as possible rather than putting out original and quality movies.

good article, its a shame that they choose to stifle the film industry in order to earn as much money as possible rather than putting out original and quality movies.

yeah well, the world isn't perfect.

I find it ironic that the writers strike happened in what late 08- early 09 and since then nothing really original has come out and worth while besides the occasional hits. Sure anyone can take a book and translate it to a screenplay or video game but after all the *****ing they did during the strike then shouldnt they have big ideas? I know it had alot to do with tv show writing but for crying out loud how many sequels/remakes do we have to sit through before we get an inception type of idea. I just want more original big blockbuster movies and less remakes and reboots. Sequels are fine but when we get into fast and furious 5 territory then I have issues.

All im saying is that you can find poorly made films in every decade, its nothing new. Now we are just more aware of the crap that comes out.

Its a bit of an alarmist article though. Every time a fantastic film comes out that's unique (like Inception, The Matrix, Sin City) people always say "they'll never do that again, it's over in terms of creativity".

That said, I do see these these pointers as something that could vastly affect the quality of a film such as 'The First Avenger: Captain America'.

and now if you are crazy you will ask how come Inception was made.

And if you're diligent, and search Cracked, you'll see that Inception was made because even Nolan must worship at the altar of the Almighty Uncle Scrooge.

Wow, Cars 2 has become a huge Internet pariah for a movie that hasn't even come out yet.

All im saying is that you can find poorly made films in every decade, its nothing new. Now we are just more aware of the crap that comes out.

This type of attitude bothers me because the Hollywood system has drastically changed in the last decade, relying on brand name more than ever, hense the reliance of sequel, reboots, or whatever. We have more than 20 sequels in 2011, so it's a different world right now.

I find it ironic that the writers strike happened in what late 08- early 09 and since then nothing really original has come out and worth while besides the occasional hits. Sure anyone can take a book and translate it to a screenplay or video game but after all the *****ing they did during the strike then shouldnt they have big ideas? I know it had alot to do with tv show writing but for crying out loud how many sequels/remakes do we have to sit through before we get an inception type of idea. I just want more original big blockbuster movies and less remakes and reboots. Sequels are fine but when we get into fast and furious 5 territory then I have issues.

It's my understanding that the writer's strike was all about money, not creativity issues.

This type of attitude bothers me because the Hollywood system has drastically changed in the last decade, relying on brand name more than ever, hense the reliance of sequel, reboots, or whatever. We have more than 20 sequels in 2011, so it's a different world right now.
technology is cheaper then ever. its easier today to make a bad huge blockbuster event movie then it was 30 years ago.
30 years ago they would give an event movie only to a guy like Spielberg. and they spend a lot of time because it was super expensive.
today its different. they know teh drill. they know teh technology and they know what the masses will like.

technology is cheaper then ever. its easier today to make a bad huge blockbuster event movie then it was 30 years ago.
30 years ago they would give an event movie only to a guy like Spielberg. and they spend a lot of time because it was super expensive.
today its different. they know teh drill. they know teh technology and they know what the masses will like.

True. Back then, it was more of an event. But now...Just image if you celebrated your birthday 20 times a year; it loses it's magic.

There ARE movies out there that will always be events every year, but you have to get pass the loads and loads BS movies too. Look at "I Am Number 4"; it's James Fray's way of digging into the 'Twilight' market blatantly, while exploiting the book that the author gets no credit for (Fray owns the publishing house). That's just how it is, but it doesn't mean it's right. Hollywood has always been cut-throat but the stakes are higher now than before.

But there's always glimmer of hope, usually during the Awards season or dudes like Duncan Jones and Neill Bloomkamp.

Its a bit of an alarmist article though. Every time a fantastic film comes out that's unique (like Inception, The Matrix, Sin City) people always say "they'll never do that again, it's over in terms of creativity".

That said, I do see these these pointers as something that could vastly affect the quality of a film such as 'The First Avenger: Captain America'.

sin-city.JPG

Oh no! people asked to be paid fairly for work!? The effects of the strike are also still being felt by the way, and then this year GIANT GLUT OF MOVIES! Sure there are a lot of sequels, but there are quite a few new properties being adapted to film. I mean just look at next month. I've heard Rango's actually good, as well as the Adjustment Bureau, then there's Sucker Punch and Battle Las Angeles and Paul, none of these are sequels or remakes, and only one is and adaptation and its of a 4 page short story (something tells me some writing had to have been done there). All of this just in March. The rest of the year, off the top of my head has Source Code in April, Super 8 some time in the summer, and then also Limitless. If you don't deny properties that are getting their first adaptation to film, then you have Green Lantern and Thor, and cant we all disregard the old Captain America movie? Then theirs Hugo Cabret in the fall and at Christmas Spielburg alone has two movies that are neither sequels nor remakes.

I know it was a comic book first. I never said it wasn't. I merely said when something comes out that's artful and clever and different people say "we'll never see something like that again". The way Rodriguez and Miller filmed the scenes had never been done before (or since)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"