My computer at home seems to be kaput

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
So, my computer at home seems be quite ill.

Yesterday, I was watching some vids on youtube, when all of a sudden my computer decided to restart itself. When it came on, my Norton Goback program had a message that said something along the lines of "Norton GoBack has switched off your computer to protect your disks from corruption. This is possibly because of a bug on your system", and it said some other stuff. Then Windows gave me the option of selecting Safe Mode, 'the last settings known to have worked properly, and 'run normally' or something. It recommended I select last settings to have worked properly, so I selected that. But each time I do this, it gets to the next screen (like a "windows is loading" screen), and then it just restarts again.

The next time it restarts, Norton GoBack has a message like "internal error". So, I'd try again, select something different, like Safe Mode or normal settings, and the same thing happens again, it just restarts.

I tried resetting the settings to previously saved settings on Norton GoBack. While in the process of doing this, it restarts itself.

So it alternates between having those two error messages, and I can never get beyond the loading screen. I've tried this about 30 odd times. I'd run a virus check, but I can't because the computer won't ****ing load.

Any suggestions?

Go back is **** to be honest. Id say remove it and see if it boots up?

Got this on another site

You can uninstall GoBack from your computer, to disble to GoBack in your computer press space bar at the GoBack screen and select the option to disable. Follow the steps below:

1. Restart your computer.
2. When the Norton GoBack boot screen appears, press the Spacebar.
3. On the Norton GoBack boot menu, click Disable.
A message informs you that disabling Norton GoBack will clear the history and you will not be able to run Disk Drive Restore or Advanced Disk Drive Restore until Norton GoBack is turned back on.
4. Click Yes.
5. Click Continue.
Your computer automatically restarts and Norton GoBack is turned off.

As soon as the computer restarts I suggest you to use the following set of key once again in your computer i.e. CTRL + ALT + G.

-- Immediately press and hold down the Ctrl+Alt+G keys after you computer restarts.

Note that some computers require that you hold down the Ctrl+Alt keys while rapidly tapping the G key.

-- A message will appear that gives you the option to force the removal of GoBack from the master boot record. Press F to force the removal of GoBack from the master boot record.

If Ctrl+Alt+G keys fails in first time then try this again for three or four times till get the prompt to remove GoBack from the master boot record.

-- Restart the computer.

Thanks black_dust! Disabling Norton GoBack worked a treat!

Should I go ahead and do the control + alt + g to remove GoBack altogether?

I'm now running a virus check, see if I can't find something wrong with my computer that caused GoBack to constantly restart it.

So, reckon I'll need to defrag my computer? What does defraging do exactly? I know it, like, scrunches down all the stuff on your computer. But would my files be safe?

Well ive got Norton system works on my pc and have never bothered with go back (i tend to keep all my important stuff off the pc anyway) and heard nothing but crap of go back
So if you want to get rid its upto you.

Yeah run checks for viruses (use AGV 7.5 to be sure), spyware/adware.

Defrag is where you computer looks at the files on your hard drive and puts them back where they should be, because over time they can move and you pc has to look for them and it slows it down. Should be done every few months or so really, the longer you leave it, the longer it takes to defrag the system if it has to move alot around. and your files should be 99.9% safe running that.

If you do have anything mega important on your pc its best to either wack it all on dvd/cd or a slave drive or external hard drive.

Never trust computers they suck balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"