Superman Returns My over-enthusiastic audience in England....

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
I saw Supes Rets yesterday evening in England, opening night. Huge cinema, don't think there was a single empty seat. Anyway, as you may know, us Brits are very reserved during movies and don't clap or cheer.....usually.

Seeing Superman tonight, there were several guys, one especially, who started cherring and clapping and whoopin' and a-hollerin' when the music started up in the credits. It was really stirring and you could sense the feeling in the audience - but this guy was expecting everyone to join in. No-one did.

So he did it for EVERY Superman appearence, every time the theme tune kicked in.

It was weird, because I could feel the audience all felt the same way as this guy - but it's just manners not to make a lot of noise in the theatre. It was a lot like in 1999, when the music started and everyone realised they were about to see a brand new Star Wars film. The audience I was with were genuinely delighted to see Suprman again.

Not my Cinema, no claps or cheers, all I heard were laughs in the appropriate places and thats about it, the only time people got really animated was when the Snakes on the Plane trailer was shown.

Kevin Roegele said:
but it's just manners not to make a lot of noise in the theatre.

I wish it were like that where I live.:(

I saw the movie twice in 2 weeks in U.K without ever going to the cinema. So no reaction here.

There was no clapping or cheering but after it finished you could hear people saying that they thought it was ace. It was funny when I went to see Batman Begins some guy started clapping on his own at the end, of course I burst out laughing.

Went to the premiere on thursday, singer and spacey were brilliant signing autographs all day long.

Friday, saw the movie I ve been waiting to see for two years. Loved it.
Saturday, saw it again. Loved it EVEN MORE!!!!
As for the audience in London, apart from the odd chuckle here and there, it could have well been a library. NO CLAPPING, NO CHEERING. NOTHING.

BTW.......GREAT MOVIE.

Kevin Roegele said:
I saw Supes Rets yesterday evening in England, opening night. Huge cinema, don't think there was a single empty seat. Anyway, as you may know, us Brits are very reserved during movies and don't clap or cheer.....usually.

Seeing Superman tonight, there were several guys, one especially, who started cherring and clapping and whoopin' and a-hollerin' when the music started up in the credits. It was really stirring and you could sense the feeling in the audience - but this guy was expecting everyone to join in. No-one did.

So he did it for EVERY Superman appearence, every time the theme tune kicked in.

It was weird, because I could feel the audience all felt the same way as this guy - but it's just manners not to make a lot of noise in the theatre. It was a lot like in 1999, when the music started and everyone realised they were about to see a brand new Star Wars film. The audience I was with were genuinely delighted to see Suprman again.
If you catch an evening/late showing on opening night in Odeon or Empire in Leicester Square you'll hear plenty of screaming for most big fan films, although there are probably tourists contributing.

The Game said:
Not my Cinema, no claps or cheers, all I heard were laughs in the appropriate places and thats about it, the only time people got really animated was when the Snakes on the Plane trailer was shown.

That was pretty much my experience. Lots of piss-taking laughs at Snakes trailer. No reaction to the slightly odd Spider-Man trailer. Lots of moaning about Superman when it finished, a rush to leave the cinema (because it was too long).

No one cheers, claps or hollers in cinemas in England. It's just not our style. I've never ever heard that kind of reaction in 40 years of seeing movies here.

yep, no one claps in the uk

although i did hear some laughs at a few jimmy and clark lines

otherwise pretty much silent

the only movies in uk where you get a rowdy crowd are ones like fast and furious and horror movies where people start laughing or shouting

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"