• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

N.W.A. Straight Outta Compton

Gabe99

Sidekick
Reaction score
From THR:
'World Trade Center' writer joins N.W.A. film
Borys Kit said:
Andrea Berloff, who wrote Oliver Stone's true-life movie "World Trade Center," is tackling the story of seminal rap group N.W.A.

Berloff is writing "Straight Outta Compton," the story of the rise and fall of the Compton, Calif.-based group, whose initials read *****s With Attitude. The members included drug dealer turned label founder Eazy-E, young disc jockey Dr. Dre and the politically bent Ice Cube, plus MC Ren and DJ Yella.

Another member, Arabian Prince, left N.W.A. before the group released the ground-breaking "Straight Outta Compton" album in 1988. The album, which featured the title track as well as "**** tha Police," introduced gangsta rap to the world and triggered sales of 9 million units.

As the group rose, however, egos and jealousies surfaced.

Cube left in 1990 over royalty disputes, went solo and warred with the group via songs. All grappled with violence, charges of anti-Semitism, misogyny and homophobia, and even more infighting, this time between Eazy-E and Dr. Dre.

Eazy-E's death, from AIDS-related causes, set the ex-members on a reconciliatory path. Cube has gone on to a successful career as an actor and producer, and Dre has become a top music producer.

Cube and Matt Alvarez are producing via Cube Vision. Eazy-E's widow, Tomica Woods, who inherited his share of the song rights, also is producing. Michelle Weiss and Dave Neustadter are overseeing for New Line.

Having a white writer on black-themed projects, especially biopics, is a fairly recent trend. Sheldon Turner penned a draft of the Rick James project "Super Freak," while Brad Kane wrote the draft of the Richard Pryor project that attracted director Bill Condon.

Especially noteworthy is that the person tackling the N.W.A. adaptation is a white woman.

However, the scribe, repped by UTA and Benderspink, is known around town for tackling true-life stories. On top of "World Trade Center," she wrote "The Fugees," adapting a New York Times article for Universal, about a group of international refugee soccer kids who settle in Atlanta.

She also is working on an adaptation of Mark Bowden's book "Guests of the Ayatollah: The First Battle in America's War With Militant Islam," about the Iran hostage crisis of 1979, for HBO and producer Bill Horberg.

not too sure about this, I am a huge hip hop fan but have no desire to see movies based on hip hop artist's. LOVED Tupac: Ressurection but it was a documentary, 8 Mile was ok, but I skipped on GRODT and Biggie's movie, might skip on this too

Didn't they already do this.

It was called CB4.

"I'm black ya'll, I'm black ya'll, I black black black blackitiy black black..."

If there are scenes of violence in the movie then you know somehow Sam Worthington will work his way into the cast.

Are they going to get all the way to Ice Cube starring in ****** kids movies?

I want to see how they'll manage it, but usually they tend to make the **** overexaggerated when it comes to hip-hop biopics.

Didn't they already do this.

It was called CB4.

"I'm black ya'll, I'm black ya'll, I black black black blackitiy black black..."

LOL! First thing I thought of.

One of my buddies got Chris Rock to sign a VHS cover for CB4 when he was shooting Dogma in Pittsburgh years ago.

It will be interesting to see who plays Easy E , one of the greatest rappers of all time.

Kokane Says Ice Cube Is "Doing Something Wrong And Foul" With N.W.A Biopic
Exclusive: Kokane says that Ice Cube should talk to Eazy-E children and Above The Law, among others, in order to properly tell N.W.A's story.
Jake Rohn said:
As a member of Eazy-E's Ruthless Records, G-funk pioneer Kokane helped the Godfather of Gangster Rap build a brand that would serve as the prototype for Hip Hop's independent label business model.

But with the buzzed about N.W.A biopic, which is being produced by Ice Cube's CubeVision production company, already in the casting process, Kokane worries that his former boss' legacy is being misrepresented.

In an exclusive interview with HipHopDX, the west coast crooner says he refuses to sit idly by.

"We put a proposal together called 'Protecting the Ruthless Legacy' that we want to get on The Arsenio Hall Show," said Kokane, whose critically new album, Shut da F#@! Up & Cut Da Checc, hit iTunes Jan. 14. "We gettin' it done right now as we speak. Everybody's agreed. And it's gonna be beautiful to see. We'll have all [Eazy’-Es] kids come on, MC Ren, Big Hutch, Yella, J.J. Fad and we're gonna tell the real story because, Ice Cube, I don't fault you for doing this movie. You're a genius, and you show that stereotypes can be lifted off of us, but at the same time you are doing something that's wrong and foul. You're purposely leaving out certain information that is vital to the story."

Kokane said that Ice Cube is making a movie without getting the facts from the people that witnessed it first-hand.

"It's sad cause you see Cube, you see all these people doing this N.W.A movie honoring Eazy, but they're not even getting internal,” Kokane said. "They're lying saying that they're getting in touch with people, but Eazy's children didn't even get a phone call. I didn't get a phone call. Above The Law didn't get a phone call and it's like they're doing it for profit, but they're not doing it authentically from the heart. It's unethical and it's foul. it's like you don't care. You guys care about getting money. But you know the good thing about it: There's always hope out there to have the real story told. It's increments. You gotta go back and touch the people if you wanna get the truth, because there's so much blockage as far as capital. It's a story that if it's told right and somebody can crack open this thing wide enough, everything else is gonna be the prototype for every other story. Trust me."

Kokane is looking to bring the West Coast full-circle with his new label, Bud E Boy Ent., which features a roster of artists and producers from various locations, including one that with ties to the past.

"I'm working with Eazy's son, E3, and he sounds just like his dad," Kokane said. "It's fitting because the way I'm running my company comes from the blueprint that Eric [Eazy-E's given name] started."

They still need to cast MC Ren and DJ Yella.

Disappointed that Ice Cube's son was cast as Cube, but I hope he proves me wrong

After the casting call sheet got out for this movie, I don't think I will even waste my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"