NA Console Sales for January 2007

imdaly

- Part 12
Reaction score
Bloomberg said:
Nintendo Co.'s Wii outsold Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 during January as consumers bought 436,000 of the video-game consoles.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 was the second-most purchased machine with sales of 294,000, followed by PlayStation 3 with 244,000, Credit Suisse analyst Heath Terry said today in a report, citing NPD Group Inc. data.

Wii is outselling PlayStation 3 by almost 2-to-1, the report said. Consumers have been attracted to Wii's price, at half the cost of the least-expensive PlayStation 3, and a wireless controller that can be swung like a bat or tennis racquet during play.

Both Wii and PlayStation 3 were introduced in November as competitors to the Xbox 360, which was released in 2005. Wii's $250 price tag compares to $499 and $599 for the PlayStation 3. The Xbox 360 sells for $299 and $399.

Wii sales fell from 604,000 units in December, the smallest drop of the three consoles, Terry wrote. The Xbox 360 had the biggest decline, dropping from 1.13 million units while PlayStation 3 sales declined from 491,000.

PlayStation 3 includes a Blu-ray DVD player that allows users to watch movies in a high-definition format, in addition to playing games. Production snags with the player created supply problems during the holiday shopping season, forcing Sony to concede market share to Wii.

Source

So let's review:

Wii (3rd Month on Market) : 436,000
XBOX360 (15th Month on Market) : 294,000
PS3 (3rd Month on Market) : 244,000

Ouch, PS3...ouch... :word:

I dont think this is any surpise.

I hope the other two machines burry PS3, it's a piece of crap.
Sony's time as the dominant hardware force must be coming to an end,
the tide has got to turn. Let it be done.

I'm amazed that 360 outsold the ps3 by only 50,000, not too bad. But I'm waiting for the (inevitable) better version of ps3 to buy it most likely (unless I just get a bunch of money and really want to play ninja gaiden sigma at the same time).

Thanks for posting...it's an interesting set of figures.

Am I the only one sensing a slight Sony bias in this article? The last paragraph seems to attribute the sales losses entirely to "Player-Created Supply Problems" as oppossed to, you know, higher price points.

Source

So let's review:

Wii (3rd Month on Market) : 436,000
XBOX360 (15th Month on Market) : 294,000
PS3 (3rd Month on Market) : 244,000

Ouch, PS3...ouch... :word:

hm... let's review:

-436,000 wii's, at $250 each? 109mill.

-294,000 360's at $300 each? 88mill. at $400 each? 117mill... so, on average, 100 mill., maybe 110?

-244,000 ps3's at $500 each = 122mill. at $600 each? 146mill. so, somewhere in the 130mill-140mill range, most likely?

yeah, ouch... right? :rolleyes:

hm... let's review:

-436,000 wii's, at $250 each? 109mill.

-294,000 360's at $300 each? 88mill. at $400 each? 117mill... so, on average, 100 mill., maybe 110?

-244,000 ps3's at $500 each = 122mill. at $600 each? 146mill. so, somewhere in the 130mill-140mill range, most likely?

yeah, ouch... right? :rolleyes:
The fact of the matter isn't the money anymore. Sony's lost it's throne and to no one but the old throne leaders themselves. It's about time Nintendo was on top and had a damn good second placer in the 360. I love both my machines, but I'd feel I'd be tainted badly if I touched that overpriced 600 dollar crap machine.

The fact of the matter isn't the money anymore. Sony's lost it's throne and to no one but the old throne leaders themselves. It's about time Nintendo was on top and had a damn good second placer in the 360. I love both my machines, but I'd feel I'd be tainted badly if I touched that overpriced 600 dollar crap machine.

how is the matter not the money? sony made more than both microsoft and nintendo, meaning people were willing to spend more on it's system (at least that month). business is about what? making money... and sony made more what? yeah, money.

kind of simple, really.

how is the matter not the money? sony made more than both microsoft and nintendo, meaning people were willing to spend more on it's system (at least that month). business is about what? making money... and sony made more what? yeah, money.

kind of simple, really.

You're forgetting about how much each system sold COSTS the company that made it. both Sony and Microsoft take hits on every system sold, whereas Nintendo makes a profit. Therefore, your little numbers are effectively meaningless. Also, even IF Sony made more money off the systems, they are still in less houses than Nintendo or Microsoft, and will therefore sell less games, thus leading to lower profits in the long run.

kind of simple, really.

Hardware isn't where the consoles make money, they make money off the software and liscencing fees from third party developers. Numbers like these will scare third-party developers from producing titles on the PS3 (which is where N64 and GC failed), leading to more people choosing the competetion, which will hurt Sony even more. The number of consoles out the door is what matters, most companies either lose money or just break even on the consoles. Went to Best Buy this weekend saw about 15 PS3's sitting on the shelf untouched, Wii's in stock 0. The fact that the one year old 360 is still selling that many more systems than the PS3 has to be distrubing news for Sony as well, especially since they can no longer blame supply problems.

Um, the Wii is by NO means on top. Maybe it was for January, but it is NOT the overall leader.

kind of simple, really.

Oh, forget about manufacturing and assembly costs! Duh! :whatever:

And we now have the Top 10 Game sales of January 2007, so without further ado....

TOP 10 GAMES: December 31, 2006-February 3, 2007: (sales numbers are approximate)

1) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Regular Edition) (Xbox 360) -- 329,000 copies
2) Guitar Hero II (with Guitar Controller) (PS2) -- 224,000 copies
3) Gears of War (Xbox 360) -- 212,000 copies
4) WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii) -- 201,000 copies
5) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) -- 189,000 copies
6) Madden NFL 07 (PS2) -- 156,000 copies
7) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GameCube) -- 144,000 copies
8) Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3) -- 144,000 copies
9) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (Xbox 360) -- 135,000 copies
10) New Super Mario Bros. (DS) -- 125,000 copies

So by console, we see in the Top 10:
XBOX 360 - 3 Games
Wii - 2 Games
PS2 - 2 Games
Gamecube - 1 Game
PS3 - 1 Game
DS - 1 Game

"Lost Planet" sold an additional 79,000 copies of it's Deluxe Edition, too.

I can't wait to see March's numbers, once "Guitar Hero 2" is out for XBOX360. That thing is holding up VERY well for the PS2, should be interesting to see how it fares on the 360 :D

Resistance has some decent numbers, I imagine it will have long terms legs on it. It just broke 500k in America and is over 600k Worldwide. It will definitly be 1 million with the Euro Market. Pretty decent, I imagine Resistance 2 will do much better for them.

Gears continues to be a huge hit.

Harmonix must be making soooo much money. I imagine Konami is pretty pissed at missing out on that market given their dominance with DDR. Guitar Hero is a similar and logical extension of the gnere as it were and is now proving stupidly popular.

I'm amazed that 360 outsold the ps3 by only 50,000, not too bad. But I'm waiting for the (inevitable) better version of ps3 to buy it most likely (unless I just get a bunch of money and really want to play ninja gaiden sigma at the same time).

Just buy Ninja Gaiden Black for Xbox (which plays on 360) and then wait for NG2. NGS is just a revised version of Black were you can play as Rachel and there is an extra couple of sub bosses.

We all know Sony and MS lose money on every system sold, that info is no revelation.

All that these companies care about tho, is who has the most units sold.
PS3 is in last place right now, like the dog that it is.

Lets hope it stays that way, have you seen how crap its online system is?
It defies belief after they claimed it was going ot be just like LIVE.
Hah hahah , god I hate Playstation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"