• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Need some book recommendations...

GNR

Avenger
Reaction score
Recently picked up Soon I Will Be Invincible by Grossman and American Gods by Gaiman.

SIWBI has been surprisingly entertaining only 2 chapters in.AG is something I read a while ago and never finished.

Sticking with the theme of superheroes/sci-fi/super science/gods(excluding anything Harry Potter,Star Trek,Star Wars,Marvel/DC adaptions,LOTR),what other books would you guys recommend?

Looking to pick up Nobody Gets The Girl next.

Thanks.

Some Robert Heinlein books I've read- Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Job: A Comedy of Justice

Song of Kali by Dan Simmons

Snow Crash and The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson

The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

Last and First Men by Olaf Stapelton

While not a fiction book, The Other God: Dualist Religions from Antiquity to the Cathar Heresy by Yuri Stoyanov is a good read.

If you're into fantasy, The Dark Tower is a great series to get into. Its..different, to say the least. Are you an Anne Rice fan? If so, look into The Dragon DelaSangre by Alan F. Troop. Its classified as "Urban Fantasy" and there are currently four books out. A great read, and they are written in the 1st person. Collaborations by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child are also favorites of mine as well. Lately their books have started building off of each other. This is the recommended reading order:

Still Life with Crows
Brimstone
Dance of Death
Book of the Dead
Wheel of Darkness

-Morzan

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series makes for good reads, but can be a bit preachy at times.

It's fantasy, but I think is more realistic fantasy

Fight Club. The book is 10x better than the movie and thats saying something.

The classics are some of the best. I LOVE H.G. Wells: The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, The Time Machine, etc.

I've heard some good things about E.E. Smith's Lensman Series, but I can't find them in stores :csad:

Ever Broten. The author's name escapes me at the moment. It's a weird novel, kinda looking back at our civilization from a future North America where Native Americans have retaken the land after a polar shift changed the world. :cool:

If you liked American Gods, you should read "Anansi Boys." It's the kind of/sort of sequel to American Gods, focusing on Anansi's two sons, Fat Charlie and Spider. While Spider takes after his father, being slick and cool and an amazing grifter and posessing all these amazing mystical powers, Fat Charlie takes after his mother, and is very much a mundane, slightly depressed office worker. It's much more of a comedy than American Gods.

Pretty Much Anything From Crichton, King, Barker, Patterson, are all good.

read the John Raine novels by Barry Eisler

Snow Crash and The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson

Seconded. Anything by Stephenson is gold, but start with Snow Crash.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet

Any of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchet

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"