Neil Blomkamp's District 10

District 10: Neill Blomkamp Teases "Stripped-Down, Bare Bones" Sequel

With director Neill Blomkamp's latest film on the way the District 9 filmmaker is making the rounds online and has offered another update on the much talked-about sequel to his 2009 Academy Award-nominated movie. Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, the South African director was asked if he thought the follow-up would be made in the same scale as his original film, which was produced for a reported budget of $30 million, basically saying, yes. "I think the approach of the first film is correct," Blomkamp said. "It’s just really a question of the script."

He continued, "If there’s slightly more stuff happening in the script, then you need slightly more money. But I think it would still be as stripped-down and bare bones as we could make it. That becomes more nimble and more creative, and personally, I like that." Blomkamp also reflected on the use of visual effects budgets in modern movies and how costs have ballooned in the time since District 9 was first produced, noting that perhaps those costs could be done more efficiently but he thinks costs will only continue to rise.

"There’s no question that you don’t need the expenditure that the big franchise movies use," the director said. "But as everything shifts towards at-home streaming with fewer and fewer theatrical releases, I think that the theatrical releases that happen are probably going to be more event-driven, giant spectacles to get people to go to theaters. So I think it actually is economically justifiable to go really big on the stuff that people are going to watch in movie theaters, as a reason to differentiate it from what you’re getting at home. So, yes, it could be more efficient, but I also understand why it’s happening, economically."

I'll believe it when I see it. But I also don't know if Blomkamp has it in him anymore. He's like 1 for 4 with good movies.
And honestly District 9 doesn't need a sequel.

But we'll see

EDIT: Actually you know...I'd be more interested if they get another director to handle it. Like Kosinski taking over the reins with Top Gun (rip Tony Scott) or Villaneuve with Blade Runner 2049

Yeah it feels like the momentum behind this is less about genuine desire for a continuation at this point, and more about reaching for something appealing from a struggling director.

Not to be super harsh to Blomkamp. District 9 was a great little movie. I'd love to see him back at full power. I thought Elysium had its moments. Chappie was horrible. Might have been interesting to see his take on Alien and/or Robocop, but he's not a safe bet as a film-maker.

This sequel will have taken longer than the Avatar sequel did, which is pretty funny.

I wasn't even that interested in his ideas for Alien or Robocop (Robocop should be brought back tho. I know they tried like 8 years ago. But I think Robocop could have a lot to say in today's world)

I only saw it once but I remember really enjoying District 9 but I really haven't had to urge to watch it again and honestly I still don't see it spoke about much anymore for whatever reason. Like when the 10 year rolled around it wasn't really even brought up

I remember in 2009-maybe 2013 everyone, including myself thought that Blomkamp and Duncan Jones (director of Moon) were gonna be the next big voices in genre filmmmaking. Sad to see it didn't work out for either really

Don't think the situations are similar at all. At least Avatar has a whole world and different stuff to explore. While it doesn't NEED a sequel, Avatar at least lends itself to one.

The world of District 9? I don't feel the need to explore any further.

Last edited:
I was desperate for a D10 for a good decade after D9, which is a great movie that still holds up.

But yeah each Blomkamp movie has just got worse since. Elysium was good but not as good as D9. Chapped was just awful. He needs to be careful with this sequel.

I'd rather he not come back to do a sequel because at this point, it just seems desperate since his last few films have either been crap or mediocre while also seeing separate projects not getting off the ground so he's going back to what made him popular.

He just did a movie too during quarantine called Demonic. Didn't see it but it didn't get good reviews and it doesn't seem to be making much noise

Not to be mean, but I think dude is just cooked. Might be a one hit wonder. Which is better than a lot of people but still. Hope he can turn it around but I'm skeptical

Not to be mean, but I think dude is just cooked. Might be a one hit wonder. Which is better than a lot of people but still. Hope he can turn it around but I'm skeptical

Some directors struggle in the industry, we always hear about compromises and studio meddling; but watching 'Chappie' especially it is really hard to imagine the bad ideas in that were anything but Blomkamp's own. Dude makes some weird decisions.

I hope I'm wrong, but this can only be disappointing. It can't just be a coincidence that every movie he did since D9 turned out to be bad. Now it kind of seems like he just got lucky with his first big movie.

He seems to have good ideas. Just boring execution outside of D9.

He just did a movie too during quarantine called Demonic. Didn't see it but it didn't get good reviews and it doesn't seem to be making much noise

I watched most of Demonic and it was awful.

If Blomkamp indeed directs Gran Turismo. With his resume it's far more likely that he'll be replaced. He's infamous for abandoning projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"