• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Neil Blomkamp's District 10

I am interested in Elysium, but the other 2 he has brewing I hold no interest in at all, D10 should come next IMO. But, its up to him, its his life.

I'm curious about chappie. It's such an interesting name. I wonder what it means.

Oh we'll, whatever Neil has cooking ill watch

I'm incredibly excited about Chappie. Concept sounds awfully cool and it's gonna be nice seeing Blomkamp doing something a bit more light in tone.

"District 10" Film Still On The Way?

By Garth Franklin Friday March 6th 2015 01:09PM
Though he's made three films so far including "Elysium" and "Chappie," South African director Neill Blomkamp's "District 9" remains easily his most acclaimed feature so far. So it's of little surprise that there's a fan push for a sequel, a project that has been stuck in development hell for some time as Blomkamp has turned his attention to other projects.
In a recent nterview with IGN, Blomkamp revealed that he does have an idea for a follow-up but can't reveal any specifics just yet:
"I have an idea for District 10, which is really cool. The problem is I feel like Chappie is the end of three films that have a similar stylistic approach to them.
Chappie is the odd one out in that is has no socio-political underpinnings. It doesn't have my experiences as a kid in South Africa incorporated into it. And Elysium - although it doesn't have my experiences as a kid in South Africa, it has the same notion of oppressor in the elites, and the large population base beneath it. And Chappie doesn't, but they are still part of a trilogy.
So moving forward I would love to realize this idea of District 10 - I have every intention to do it, I just need to find the right time to do it - to not go back to Johannesburg and shoot something similar, yet."
The filmmaker confirms he originally saw "District 9" as a stand alone movie, while his new idea for District 10 will be something that fans of the original will want to see.
"It [District 9] was a completely self-contained story about the Nazi becoming the Holocaust victim, basically. It was the oppressor becoming the oppressed. And when it's based on a character like that, it ends on that character.
The inadvertent world creation that came with it, which to me is my perfect kind of thing that I love - having a bunch of weird alien weapons in the back of a shack that you can discover - that's just ripe for creative insanity, so it took a few years to process what that could be.
And I think that the story that I have now is what I would want to see as a fan of the first film, I think. I know I would want to see it - I assume other people would. It's good man!"

I hope he still does it, D9 is one of my favourite movies ever, loved it. But Neills movies have certainly took a dive in quality since that. I liked Elysium and have not seen Chappie yet but it's obvious neither is D9 quality. Hopefully the new Alien movie gets him back on track.

Neill Blomkamp plans District 9 follow-up, Alien 5 dead
In an interview about his new experimental sci-fi shorts studio Oats Studios (more on that here), director Neill Blomkamp tells The Verge that he is planning a*District 9 follow-up.

“With District 9, I plan on making another film in that world,” he said when asked if Oats Studios would work on tie-ins to*District 9,*Elysium or*Chappie.*“To go back and work with WETA, and make the film would be cool, but anything that pre-exists like that may not be the best fit for whatever we’re trying here.”
Released in August of 2009,*District 9 stars Sharlto Copley. It was made for just $30 million and grossed*$210.8 million worldwide.
He was also asked whether he is completely done with his*Alien 5 concept. “I think it’s totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point.*It’s sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it’s gone now, and the way that it all is — it’s just not going to live.”
He clarified he was talking about studio politics. “Ridley [Scott] was one of my idols growing up. He’s so talented and he’s made this film that really set me off in a direction. I want to just be as respectful and not go stamping around in this world that he created. I think that if the circumstances were different, and I didn’t feel like I was getting too close to something that he obviously feels a massive personal connection to, that things that may have played out differently. But I did want to be as respectful as possible.”
This echoes what Ridley Scott previously said about the concept. Scott’s own*Prometheus sequel and*Alien prequel,*Alien: Covenant, opened in theaters on May 19 and has earned just $165 million worldwide on a $97 million budget.*Prometheus grossed $403 million globally.

It's about time if he is getting started on District 10. Though I am not as confident about it being good after his last movie.

Can't say I'm really clamoring for this, and I say that as someone who loves District 9. Even when the first film came out, I never really had a strong desire for a sequel.

Even with Alien 5 dead, I'd still like to see Blomkamp tackle some sci-fi horror. I'm really intrigued by his Oats: Volume 1 project.

After D9 came out I wanted a sequel there and then. But Blomkamp hasn't lived up to his potential since then.

After D9 came out I wanted a sequel there and then. But Blomkamp hasn't lived up to his potential since then.

That's exactly my feelings on this.

I was and still am a huge fan of D9 but it's seeming like one of those too long has passed scenarios unfortunately.

This is probably Blomkamps hail-mary right now to prove he can still be trusted to direct blockbuster type films.

I think he works in short-film format. Also, it was based on circumstances.

After the failing of Halo, he placed all his energy into District 9 because he had something to prove. The movie was Oscar nominated for God's sakes.

Also, he had Peter Jackson as a producer who helped guide the film too.

But then he became complacent creatively.

I hope after the falling of Alien 5, he'll come up with something interesting but I don't think going back to District 10 is the answer.

I like District 9, but I never really wanted a sequel of it. Nor was I a huge fan of the rest of Blomkamp's work afterwards.

Call it sentimental or whatever, but I'd be all-in on a sequel that ends with Wikus getting cured and getting to reunite with his wife. Dude deserves a happy ending.

Yeah, I'd love to see District 10 finally happen. While Blomkamp's post-D9 work has left me disappointed I still think he's a great director with a true gift for photorealistic CGI. It's amazing that he can make robots and aliens that are far more convincing that anything you'd see in a Bay, Snyder or Del Toro production at a fraction of the cost.

Sounds like it's happening.

On one hand, District 9 is one of those films where I feel it doesn't need a sequel. But I'm not opposed to seeing more of that story told. That and hopefully Wikus gets some form of a happy ending.

Also, Neill Blomkamp could really use another hit. Also, moderator, I forgot an extra L in Blomkamp's first name. Would anyone be able to change that?

Wow yeah, I wasn’t sure that this would ever happen. I love the first film and I agree; it doesn’t NEED a sequel. That said, the first movie perfectly sets itself up for one. I just worry that a sequel might not be as good (because they usually aren’t and Neill’s recent output hasn’t been great). But maybe. Maybe.

Wiki says Christopher would come back in 3 years to heal Wikus. I haven't seen the movie in awhile but I thought there was something about ten years in the movie?

District 9 - Wikipedia

I think too much time has passed, and honestly I was never that invested in a sequel anyway. District 9 didn't need one.

I loved District 9, then kinda forgot about it. I'm always rooting for Blomkamp, he's great with visuals and I reckon he has a few gems in him, but I can't say I particularly need to go back to this story.

I agree that District 9 never needed a sequel, but if this is Neill Blomkamps last chance to make a great movie again than I'm willing to give it a chance, because the man does desperately need another hit critically and commercially.

I am glad he has got other people in to help with the script, he needs it after his last coupled of movies IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"