Netflix Developing Greek Mythology Anime 'Blood of Zeus'

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
Netflix Orders ‘Gods & Heroes’ Greek Mythology Anime Series

has ordered eight episodes of original anime series Gods & Heroes, set in the world of Greek mythology and featuring Jason O’Mara, Mamie Gummer and Chris Diamantopoulos, among others, in the voice cast.

The series (see the new poster below), from Charley and Vlas Parlapanides, chronicles the illegitimate son of Zeus, a young man tasked with saving heaven and earth despite the interference of a vengeful goddess and her monstrous forces.

“In Gods & Heroes we wanted to tell a wholly original story set in the beloved world of Greek mythology,” said creators Vlas and Charley Parlapanides in a statement. “We are thankful for such an amazing cast and for such great creative partners at Netflix and Powerhouse Animation, who continue to push the envelope and expand the anime genre in a manner we had only dreamed of.”

The Parlapanides (Immortals, Death Note) will serve as writers and executive producers. Powerhouse Animation, the studio behind Netflix’s Castlevania and the upcoming Seis Manos, are leading animation development and creation.

In addition to O’Mara, Gummer and Diamantopoulos, the voice cast includes Derek Phillips, Jessica Henwick, Melina Kanakaredes, Claudia Christian and Elias Toufexis.

John Derderian, Director of Anime for Netflix, said the Parlapanides “have an outstanding track record of telling gripping stories set in fantastical worlds and we are thrilled to bring their unique vision for the Gods of Mount Olympus to Netflix members around the world.”

Gods & Heroes adds to Netflix’s anime slate including Castlevania, Devilman Crybaby, Godzilla: The Planet Eater, Baki, Violet Evergarden, B: The Beginning, Aggretsuko, and The Seven Deadly Sins. Upcoming titles include Pacific Rim, Altered Carbon, Yasuke, Ghost in the Shell, and Trese.

image.jpg

Sounds very cool! Loved Powerhouse's work on Castlevania, so I'm in!

I couldn't get into Castlevania. I mean, I guess I should try. I wasn't feeling the trailer. But this I can get behind. But I hope it sticks to mythology rather than have some convoluted new characters or whatever.

Maybe this was answered a long time ago in one of the threads regarding these shows, but why are they called "anime" when they aren't Japanese?

I honestly thought these shows were animated in Japan after being written somewhere else and Netflix was just the one who happened to release them. Kinda like how The Animatrix or Batman: Gotham Knight were done.

Watched this yesterday and struggled to finish the series.

It just wasn't for me.

It's nowhere near as good as the first two seasons of Castlevania IMO, but I still really enjoyed it overall. I just love this style of animation and there were some pretty EPIC moments scattered throughout the show.

Also, I'm just a huge sucker for anything related to Greek Mythology.

It's nowhere near as good as the first two seasons of Castlevania IMO, but I still really enjoyed it overall. I just love this style of animation and there were some pretty EPIC moments scattered throughout the show.

Also, I'm just a huge sucker for anything related to Greek Mythology.

Did you watched Ulysse 31 ? It's old but very good (and also part produced by French people if I remember so :p )

Did you watched Ulysse 31 ? It's old but very good (and also part produced by French people if I remember so :p )

Never seen it, but it definitely sounds like I'll enjoy it plus its from the 80's which alone was enough to sell me honestly. That era had so many great anime's to come out of it.

Never seen it, but it definitely sounds like I'll enjoy it plus its from the 80's which alone was enough to sell me honestly. That era had so many great anime's to come out of it.

Ulysse 31 is the best (and only I think ) animated version of The Odyssey.
It's rather faithful. I will always remember the first episode with The Cyclops and those with Sisyphus and Atlas (that one is great...Atlas has to literally support The World to prevent its collapse, like in the old statues of him).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"