New Ben-Hur adaptation

Morgan is rocking those dreads doe.

This bombed...no shocker here. Didn't even crack top 3.

They were thinking that remakes are the in thing and did not consider whether this was a) worth remaking b) how to remake it and c) if anyone actually wanted a remake.

Obviously the answer to all three is no.

They were thinking that remakes are the in thing and did not consider whether this was a) worth remaking b) how to remake it and c) if anyone actually wanted a remake.

Obviously the answer to all three is no.

Here's what the makers were hoping...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-ben-hur-suicide-squad-war-dogs-1201841498/

Paramount and MGM, which co-financed “Ben-Hur,” had been hoping for a $20 million launch by appealing to faith-based customers, but other trackers were accurate in forecasting a debut in the $10 million to $15 million range.

They made a movie with a 100 million budget to expect a 20 million OW, granted this kind of movies probably never open with big numbers but then it begs the question, why the exorbitant budget and why do it at all? It's just baffling to me.

They better pray for some decent international numbers because the film is ****ed in North America.

You can't do a remake for Ben-Hur on the cheap. It's just not possible. But studios only want to finance existing properties anyway. Even if they are ill-advised.

I think Ben-Hur's very nature makes it hard in today's world. Very few can handle religious themes well, much less a movie that is overtly religious. The only Christian movies made these days are terrible drivel, aimed at the Duck Dynasty Evangelicals like God Isn't Dead.

From what I have read, it wasn't awful, just kind of a mess.

The original wowed audiences by being a massive spectacle unlike most other movies of the times. Big sets, lavish costumes, I think it was also in Cinemascope, and of course the chariot race!

These days you can't pull in audiences with spectacle because they've pretty much already seen it all. Chariot races don't do it any more. Doing huge scale movies just isn't that big of a deal nowadays because thanks to CGI just about anybody can do it. You need something else and apparently this movie didn't have it.

Well, some star power would certainly help. But good writing, as Game of Thrones has shown can go a long way. I have also seen virtually no marketing for this film. I saw the trailer on Youtube. That's it.

I usually don't watch TV but i'm dog sitting and have been watching a lot of comedy central, they play spots for this often.

I just don't think anyone cares about this property.

I think Ben-Hur's very nature makes it hard in today's world. Very few can handle religious themes well, much less a movie that is overtly religious. The only Christian movies made these days are terrible drivel, aimed at the Duck Dynasty Evangelicals like God Isn't Dead.

From what I have read, it wasn't awful, just kind of a mess.

The Duck Dynasty guys being evangelical heroes is pretty funny.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard they ruined the chariot race in this version with excessive shaky cam. A shame if true because the race in the Heston version was and still is phenomenal.

Any film that has Freeman with some sort of wig or thing that is not his real hair is a bad sign.

wonder what bonehead thought it was a good idea to remake this classic especially with the director of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter they got what they deserved

whats next McG remaking Spartacus??

wonder what bonehead thought it was a good idea to remake this classic especially with the director of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter they got what they deserved

whats next McG remaking Spartacus??

Not counting stage adaptations, this was the 6th adaption of the novel Ben Hur so I'm sure this won't be the last time someone adapts it.

And yeah eventually someone will do another Spartacus film. Why wouldn't they? Spartacus is a famous historical figure and the Third Servile War was a monumental moment in ancient roman history. Think about what a group of slaves nearly accomplished. They nearly sacked Rome. The most powerful empire on the face of the earth was nearly brought to its knees by slaves. It's an inspirational very human story. Stanley Kubrick doesn't own that event or Spartacus and eventually someone will do another film about Spartacus.

These are properties and characters that aren't going to be left on a shelf. No matter how revered an older film is.

Last edited:
Michael Bay should adapt Spartacus. That'd rock!!!

Not counting stage adaptations, this was the 6th adaption of the novel Ben Hur so I'm sure this won't be the last time someone adapts it.

And yeah eventually someone will do another Spartacus film. Why wouldn't they? Spartacus is a famous historical figure and the Third Servile War was a monumental moment in ancient roman history. Think about what a group of slaves nearly accomplished. They nearly sacked Rome. The most powerful empire on the face of the earth was nearly brought to its knees by slaves. It's an inspirational very human story. Stanley Kubrick doesn't own that event or Spartacus and eventually someone will do another film about Spartacus.

These are properties and characters that aren't going to be left on a shelf. No matter how revered an older film is.

Spartacus has been done to death. Why not try a period of Roman history that's been neglected? Weirdly enough Hannibal comes to mind. You'd think him crossing the alps with those elephants would be an iconic Hollywood movie, but no one has done it.

Also, Nero hasn't gotten much love since Quo Vadis. Hell, the Flavian Emperors are almost completely ignored by popular culture. Domitian was like a competent Nero. ****ing terrifying.

Spartacus has been done to death. Why not try a period of Roman history that's been neglected? Weirdly enough Hannibal comes to mind. You'd think him crossing the alps with those elephants would be an iconic Hollywood movie, but no one has done it.

Also, Nero hasn't gotten much love since Quo Vadis. Hell, the Flavian Emperors are almost completely ignored by popular culture. Domitian was like a competent Nero. ****ing terrifying.

There was a Hannibal movie in production years ago that's now in development hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"