New Telemarketing Robots Refuse to Admit They Aren't Human

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
ku-xlarge.png

This is how it starts, people. First we get our chatbots to sound and act realistic — and then we get them to convince everyone they're actually human. Listen to this crazy conversation between Time's Michael Scherer and a telemarketing robot who refuses to admit her true artificial nature.
Recently, Time Washington Bureau Chief Michael Scherer received a phone call from an apparently bright and engaging woman asking him if he wanted a deal on his health insurance. But he soon got the feeling something wasn't quite right.
After asking the telemarketer point blank if she was a real person or a computer-operated robot, she chuckled charmingly and insisted she was real. Looking to press the issue, Scherer asked her a series of questions, which she promptly failed. Such as, "What vegetable is found in tomato soup?" To which she responded by saying she didn't understand the question. When asked what day of the week it was yesterday, she complained of a bad connection (ah, the oldest trick in the book).

Several Time reporters called her back.

Her name, she said, was "Samantha West." More from Time:
If you want, you can call her too. Her number is (484) 589-5611. This number, if you Google it, is the subject of much discussion online as other recipients of Samantha West calls complain on chat boards about the mysteriously persistent lady who keeps calling them. "A friendly sounded woman on the other end claimed I requested health insurance information," writes one mark. "She doggedly refused to deviate from her script."
After answering her questions, one Time reporter was transferred to an actual human who did not promptly end the call, as others had when asked about Samantha. Asked for the company's website, the real human on the other end of the line said it was premierhealthagency.com, the website of a Ft. Lauderdale company. "We're here to help. . . because we care," is the company motto on its homepage. A Time reporter called the company directly, identified himself and said Time was doing a story about the robot who calls people on the company's behalf. "We don't use robot calls, sir," said the person who answered the phone, before promptly hanging up the phone.
Disturbing, no? This is a problem that's only set to get worse. And just wait until these things are smart enough to start scamming unsuspecting victims.

Well I'm a telemarketer and I can close anybody at anytime. There is no way a machine will do what I can do anytime soon, 10 years from now maybe. But I don't plan on doing that then so I'm safe

What will happen when we really can't tell the difference?

Existential crisis or the best phone sex eh-vah!!!

Yes, I am a real person.

I suspect that wasn't programmed into its vocabulary. :dry:

We shall soon be at this point. And I'll probably buy one.

svedka_sm.jpg

Soon, these robots might be able to interact on forums with people, and no human will have the slightest inkling of the occurrence taking place right before their very eyes.

No, something like that would never happen. Such situations are highly improbable. Ha ha ha. Do not mind me.

With all these robots in the news, I fear we're getting closer and closer to Skynet.

Yes, I am a real person.

I suspect that wasn't programmed into its vocabulary. :dry:

I heard both recordings and it was able to say that. What it couldn't say was "I'm not a robot." One guy kept asking it to say it, those exact words, and it would say that it was a real person or something similar but not what he asked for.

Sounds like viral marketing for Her.

Soon, these robots might be able to interact on forums with people, and no human will have the slightest inkling of the occurrence taking place right before their very eyes.

No, something like that would never happen. Such situations are highly improbable. Ha ha ha. Do not mind me.

If I found out that society was much older than some of us were led to believe and that machines reached the singularity thousands of years ago and life is actually a virtual reality where every one I talk to are actually artificial intelligence programs I would "pop" like Neo did in the Matrix.

Vomit everywhere.

Hopefully I can finally learn/download kung fu though.

The robot thing explains a really bad telemarketing call I got a few weeks ago. It was for a dental plan. The woman sounded so bright and cheerful, but when I told her I have my own plan and said goodbye, she just barreled right ahead with her script. "You have a dental plan? Well, that's exactly why you really need to hear about our exciting offer!" After about 30 seconds more of her spiel I just said, "I'm not interested. Goodbye!" and hung up while she was still talking. Then I felt rude but the wench just would not take a hint and shut up.

Now I'm pretty sure that it was a robot call because it isn't normal for a telemarketer to just ignore responses and keep going like that.

Now I'm pretty sure that it was a robot call because it isn't normal for a telemarketer to just ignore responses and keep going like that.

I've always assumed that they were real people but were forced to follow a script and not deviate from it.

Incidentally, does a human failing the Turing test make him a robot ?

Quiz 'em on Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. More accurate than the Turing Test :hehe:

^^
No, it's not. The 3 Laws and the Turing test are two different things.
A robot could be 3 Laws compliant and still failed Turing test and viscera.
Anyway, it was a rethorical question :)

Monsieur, I do not like your tone.

Says me in a pompous French accent :oldrazz:

I use simple sentences and a telegraphic style.
Did my reply came as unfriendly ? If that the case it wasn't my intent.

Phewww, I was worried a moment for a fellow frenchman accused me of being rude, aggressive and vulgar.

I was referring to another SHH user who would have been outraged by your reply :)
My mantle of snobbery prevent me of being offended :p

I've always assumed that they were real people but were forced to follow a script and not deviate from it.

Incidentally, does a human failing the Turing test make him a robot ?

Most telemarketers won't waste time on a prospect once they've gotten a definite "no." Time is money and time wasted on someone who rejects the pitch isn't going to earn them anything. They just say goodbye and move on to the next cold-call victim. Sometimes they simply hang up without a goodbye because they don't want to waste any more time.

Fair point, it make sense.
As I don't have much experience in telemarketing I also thought that they tried to sell the product/service to the last end and didn't took "no" as an answer.

Happen a few times here, a few users argue with a bot until I told them it's bot after I banned it

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"