Car accident troubles!

The Geek Vault

Come at me bro
Reaction score
A couple days ago, I got into a small car accident. No damagae was done to either car. We exchanged info. I put off telling my parents though and haven't called my insurance company. I figured nothing was gonna happen. Well today I get a phone call from the guys insurance company and he asked me for a statement. Guess I should tell my parents now... I'm wicked nervous

And now you just lost the trust. Should have come clean in the beginning.

The sooner you tell your parents the better. This is something they're going to need to handle. Trust me, some damage was done to both cars, or the other driver would not have called it into his company. A recorded statement is nothing sinister. It's just them getting both parties' stories down so they can determine liability, or who is responsible. Depending on the circumstances, each party may have some responsibility for the accident. If that happens, your insurance company and theirs will decide how much each insurance company owes for. What were the circumstances of the accident? Do you know if there was any injury to the other driver?

A couple days ago, I got into a small car accident. No damagae was done to either car. We exchanged info. I put off telling my parents though and haven't called my insurance company. I figured nothing was gonna happen. Well today I get a phone call from the guys insurance company and he asked me for a statement. Guess I should tell my parents now... I'm wicked nervous

Did you file a police report? If you didn't that was really stupid, especially since if there was no damage, it just protects you from greedy @$$holes.

When I was in high school I had to drop a friends off at the hospital for a check up, when I was pulling out of the spot I misjudged the amount of room I had in front of me and tapped an amblulance (it was in the general admittance, not going to or returning from an emergency or anything). I was going just idling, going less than 5 miles an hour, the only damage was misplaced dust on both cars. However, seeing as this was an amblulance I figured I should get a police report, police didn't even believe there was an accident, gave me the report, no ticket and sent me on my way.

Flash forward a few months, everyone in the amblulance is suing our insurance company claiming injuries. Sure the police report says no damage at all was done and that all parties were reported to be in perfect health, since nothing happened. Never did find out exactly what happened, but I know my parents were pissed at how the company handled things and changed insurance.

Not sure, where this was going, but tell your parents and always get a police report, it's just gonna save you trouble later on. Your parents will always find out and if no harm was done there should be no problem.

Police reports are always a good idea, but hardly the only method of proving damages did or did not exist. You'd be surprised how many cops cannot see damages that do exist after an accident.

The fact is that you did hit the ambulance, and likely jarred the people inside, even at a low speed. Logic dictates that there is going to be some damage, even if it's minimal.

Even at low speeds, a rear end collision can cause injuries that may not show up for a few days. This is not unheard of. For an insurance company faced with this possibility, it's a lot better to be safe than sorry, and to treat the initial injuries rather than waiting for them to become really serious, or to wait to be sued for not paying what they legally owe in this instance. Insurance companies don't just pay claimants if there's no proof of injury. And if you think every insurance company out there doesn't operate like that, then you're kidding yourself. People who change insurance companies because they don't understand the process and are angry that they're being held responsible for an accident and injuries they or a driver they gave permission to drive caused amuse me to no end.

Police reports are always a good idea, but hardly the only method of proving damages did or did not exist. You'd be surprised how many cops cannot see damages that do exist after an accident.

The fact is that you did hit the ambulance, and likely jarred the people inside, even at a low speed. Logic dictates that there is going to be some damage, even if it's minimal.

Even at low speeds, a rear end collision can cause injuries that may not show up for a few days. This is not unheard of. For an insurance company faced with this possibility, it's a lot better to be safe than sorry, and to treat the initial injuries rather than waiting for them to become really serious, or to wait to be sued for not paying what they legally owe in this instance. Insurance companies don't just pay claimants if there's no proof of injury. And if you think every insurance company out there doesn't operate like that, then you're kidding yourself. People who change insurance companies because they don't understand the process and are angry that they're being held responsible for an accident and injuries they or a driver they gave permission to drive caused amuse me to no end.

Yeah, hitting someone at less than 5 miles an hour causes whiplash. The cop evaluted the "scene" and the only damage to both cars was disturbed dust. The people claimed they were thrown from their seats. I know I was at fault, I'm not discounting that, but these people were looking for a payday. Have you ever bumped into a car getting into or out of a parrallel parking spot? Did it cause you great bodily harm? Cause that's essentially what happened in this case.

Yeah, hitting someone at less than 5 miles an hour causes whiplash.

1. It can cause whiplash and a number of other things.
2. Your five miles an hour may or may not have been five miles an hour.

The cop evaluted the "scene" and the only damage to both cars was disturbed dust.

Then there may not have been damage. Or there may not have been visible damage. When there is an impact, damage doesn't always appear outside the vehicle. Sometimes the impact is transferred to the interior sheet metal, or to the people inside the vehicle. That's how people get injured sometimes.

Understand, unless they like losing money, your insurance carrier isn't going to pay for something they don't owe for. That just isn't how insurance carriers do business.

The people claimed they were thrown from their seats.

And they may have been, depending on their seating arrangements.

I know I was at fault, I'm not discounting that, but these people were looking for a payday.

Maybe, but in order to GET paid, they would have to have been actually injured. Your insurance carrier would have required doctor's proof of it, etc. If your insurance carrier paid the claim, it is because they determined there was sufficient evidence to do so. Had they not, do you know what would have happenened?

Likely, if there was a reason for them to pay out, and they didn't, then both you and they would have gotten sued.

Have you ever bumped into a car getting into or out of a parrallel parking spot? Did it cause you great bodily harm? Cause that's essentially what happened in this case.

Great bodily harm? Do you know the extent of the injuries claimed/paid out on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"