Newest geeky property of the future?

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
It occurs to me that almost every geek property has been or will be adapted soon. Everything from Star Wars to Godzilla is getting a new movie and just about every comic book going.

So what happens after this recent spate? What new geeky properties (besides reboots, sequels etc) will get adapted?

Maybe not what I'm betting on, but I'm hoping for Nintendo movie stuff. Metroid or Zelda movie plz.

Thundercats is on here but no Masters of the Universe? That's what I'm betting on.

Will probably never happen but I'd like to see either a revamping or re-imagining of all the leftover 80's cartoons like M.A.S.K., Centurions, Inhumanoids, Silverhawks, Spiral Zone.

Updated toys of all these would kick serious butt.

Thundercats is on here but no Masters of the Universe? That's what I'm betting on.

If it can get out of Development Hell, I'd agree with this. There are at least a few scripts out there waiting to be made.

Unfortunately, none of them are any good. But at least they're written. As far as I know, there's not even a Thundercats movie script in the works.
Of course, it's entirely possible that Warner Brothers might buy my Thundarr movie script. Highly unlikely, but possible.

If it can get out of Development Hell, I'd agree with this. There are at least a few scripts out there waiting to be made.

Unfortunately, none of them are any good. But at least they're written. As far as I know, there's not even a Thundercats movie script in the works.
Of course, it's entirely possible that Warner Brothers might buy my Thundarr movie script. Highly unlikely, but possible.

Jon Chu is supposed to direct Masters after G.I. Joe. I think I recall him saying he loved where the script and movie were going. I'm expecting it by 2015, so we'll see.

Jon Chu is supposed to direct Masters after G.I. Joe. I think I recall him saying he loved where the script and movie were going. I'm expecting it by 2015, so we'll see.

He LIKES where the script is going? Last I heard, the writers were doing away with anything magical or "otherworldly". That means no Sorceress, no Adam schanging into He-Man, no Skeletor, no Orko, no Beastman, Merman, Whiplash, Clawful, or pretty much ANY of the chief villains from the cartoons and toylines. Of course, I hadn't heard anything new on the subject for about a year now, so it's entirely possible that a new writer has come out with a new script that's actually GOOD.

He LIKES where the script is going? Last I heard, the writers were doing away with anything magical or "otherworldly". That means no Sorceress, no Adam schanging into He-Man, no Skeletor, no Orko, no Beastman, Merman, Whiplash, Clawful, or pretty much ANY of the chief villains from the cartoons and toylines. Of course, I hadn't heard anything new on the subject for about a year now, so it's entirely possible that a new writer has come out with a new script that's actually GOOD.

Yep, the script has had rewrites. Chu likes where it's going and he knows the world of He-Man, so I trust him for now. The movie seems to be happening.

Will probably never happen but I'd like to see either a revamping or re-imagining of all the leftover 80's cartoons like M.A.S.K., Centurions, Inhumanoids, Silverhawks, Spiral Zone.

Updated toys of all these would kick serious butt.
I agree I think some of the popular 80s cartoons might get movie adaptations now that people who grew up in that era are older enough to be directors, screenwriters, ect.

I think Hollywood might take another crack at adapting anime films as well. Hollywood tried before and it was usually bad low budget stuff like their earlier goes at superhero movies.

Cameron's Battle Angel and WB's Robotech might get the ball rolling if they are successful.

IPs like Halo and Mass Effect could be the next Star Wars and Star Trek. Both have story arcs and characters best suited for games though, so we'll see. It's likely that films for those franchises would center on completely different characters and stories than the games, but I think that's a good thing.

I'm happy with the way things are moving, to more original sci-fi and adaptations of sci-fi novels and properties.

As for what will be the next big geek property? Man who knows, with even the slightest difference of circumstance, John Carter and Avatar's positions could be swapped and right now we'd be waiting for John Carter 2. We wont know until it happens.

As far as movies I have no idea, but I think MLP won the internet on new geek property. That franchise has exploded with fandom.

I think Mass Effect could be a huge franchise. Halo seems like it missed its calling tbh. Im sure it will be huge but if it came out a few years ago I feel it would have benefited. Overall I think video game adaptations that actually dont suck will take over soon.

Yep, the script has had rewrites. Chu likes where it's going and he knows the world of He-Man, so I trust him for now. The movie seems to be happening.

There's an entire thread on here somewhere about a new live action adaptation of He-Man & The Masters Of The Universe. In the opening post, it was said that the writers were going for something like a cross between the minicomics that came with the original toys back in the 80's, and the 2002 reboot of the series. Then the writers strayed so far from the source material, the end results no longer resembled ANYTHING from the original series, the reboot, the toys, OR the minicomics. Hell, even the Dolf Lundgren movie looks like a more faithful adaptation than any of the scripts the producers ended up getting.

So my question is, what script does Chu have, and what direction is it going in? I will say this though, his adaptations of G.I. Joe are fairly faithful to their source material. Not great movies (at least the first one isn't, haven't seen the second one yet), but pretty faithful to their source. So all hope isn't lost. But I'd still like to know what he has planned.

There's an entire thread on here somewhere about a new live action adaptation of He-Man & The Masters Of The Universe. In the opening post, it was said that the writers were going for something like a cross between the minicomics that came with the original toys back in the 80's, and the 2002 reboot of the series. Then the writers strayed so far from the source material, the end results no longer resembled ANYTHING from the original series, the reboot, the toys, OR the minicomics. Hell, even the Dolf Lundgren movie looks like a more faithful adaptation than any of the scripts the producers ended up getting.

So my question is, what script does Chu have, and what direction is it going in? I will say this though, his adaptations of G.I. Joe are fairly faithful to their source material. Not great movies (at least the first one isn't, haven't seen the second one yet), but pretty faithful to their source. So all hope isn't lost. But I'd still like to know what he has planned.

Chu didn't direct the first G.I. Joe. The second one, which is he directing, is looking much better by comparison. But yeah, I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve.

Hollywood has a dismal record when it comes to adapting video games and anime. Personally, I find it self-defeating to try to make a movie out of a game, anyway --- the whole point of video games is that they are interactive movies, while movies themselves are passive in nature. I suppose you could sell story-driven VG movies (Halo, Mass Effect, Uncharted, etc.) to people who haven't actually played the games; but gamers themselves would just wish they had a controller in their hands.

I think the safe bet on the "next geek property" would be whatever book series the tweenies are reading these days. Yay, "The Next Twilight/Hunger Games." :oldrazz:

I think Jordan's Wheel of Time series is hugely popular enough to translate to a movie/HBO fanbase.

I also personally believe that Michael Moorcock's Elric dark fantasy series from wayyyy back when is absolutely tailor-made for Hollywood. I think an albino anti-hero who is enslaved to the bloodlust of his own vampiric sword is a concept that sells itself.

I just wish they would make a big budget, serious G-force/ battle of the planets movie. In the right hands and with a great script it could be huge, avengers huge. But of course its also a great financial risk and to make it right it would cost around 200+ mil maybe more.

A Legend Of Drizzt movie would be all kinds of awesome. It would be very hard to do though. Hollywood's best bet would be to use motion capture CGI, like with Polar Express and Beowulf. While I'm sure they can probably find actors with martial arts skills to pull off the roles of Drizzt & Artemis Entreri, the problem is there are just SO MANY novels. If each one got made into a movie, the actors will soon become older than their characters (and Drizzt is still very young, by elf reconing). By making them CGI, the animators can make the actors look as young or as old as needed. Then the actors only really need to be there for their voices (though it helps to be able to do their own stunts as well).

IPs like Halo and Mass Effect could be the next Star Wars and Star Trek. Both have story arcs and characters best suited for games though, so we'll see. It's likely that films for those franchises would center on completely different characters and stories than the games, but I think that's a good thing.
mass effect would be the next star wars by far it is a space opera game anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"