Newest geeky property of the future?

Hollywood has a dismal record when it comes to adapting video games and anime. Personally, I find it self-defeating to try to make a movie out of a game, anyway --- the whole point of video games is that they are interactive movies, while movies themselves are passive in nature. I suppose you could sell story-driven VG movies (Halo, Mass Effect, Uncharted, etc.) to people who haven't actually played the games; but gamers themselves would just wish they had a controller in their hands.

I think the safe bet on the "next geek property" would be whatever book series the tweenies are reading these days. Yay, "The Next Twilight/Hunger Games." :oldrazz:

I think Jordan's Wheel of Time series is hugely popular enough to translate to a movie/HBO fanbase.

I also personally believe that Michael Moorcock's Elric dark fantasy series from wayyyy back when is absolutely tailor-made for Hollywood. I think an albino anti-hero who is enslaved to the bloodlust of his own vampiric sword is a concept that sells itself.

That doesn't mean that the stories and themes can't be adapted (or the characters written to be more than just avatars). It is just that the studios have thus far barely put forth an effort. Let's not act like the story telling in books is the same as film either.

The main problem is that we've entered a time where if any changes are made in the adaptation process, people get far too pissed and so modern adaptations are slaves to the material, to their detriment.

That doesn't mean that the stories and themes can't be adapted (or the characters written to be more than just avatars). It is just that the studios have thus far barely put forth an effort. Let's not act like the story telling in books is the same as film either.

The main problem is that we've entered a time where if any changes are made in the adaptation process, people get far too pissed and so modern adaptations are slaves to the material, to their detriment.

I think much of the problem lies in director. Video games are such a new medium, at least the big, cinematic titles, that there aren't really any good, experienced directors that are big fans. Perhaps in 10-20 years, big directors with gaming backgrounds will rise, and we'll get heart felt game adaptions.

But for now I think the solution is using two directors; one with gaming background, like for example a creative lead from the game studio responsible for the game that is being adapted, and one skilled and experienced film director.

I agree about Mass Effect, if they threw out a quality movie then I can see it being the next thing. The games already have books and comics and stuff so a live action movie is the only thing missing. Have it based on the games or focus on new characters, it could be great.

I think much of the problem lies in director. Video games are such a new medium, at least the big, cinematic titles, that there aren't really any good, experienced directors that are big fans. Perhaps in 10-20 years, big directors with gaming backgrounds will rise, and we'll get heart felt game adaptions.

But for now I think the solution is using two directors; one with gaming background, like for example a creative lead from the game studio responsible for the game that is being adapted, and one skilled and experienced film director.

Edgar Wright, Neil Blomkamp and Joe Cornish come to mind.

I think Duncan Jones could do wonders as well, having done work directing cutsc enes in games. Source Code I felt had the feel of many gaming elements.

A Legend Of Drizzt movie would be all kinds of awesome. It would be very hard to do though. Hollywood's best bet would be to use motion capture CGI, like with Polar Express and Beowulf. While I'm sure they can probably find actors with martial arts skills to pull off the roles of Drizzt & Artemis Entreri, the problem is there are just SO MANY novels. If each one got made into a movie, the actors will soon become older than their characters (and Drizzt is still very young, by elf reconing). By making them CGI, the animators can make the actors look as young or as old as needed. Then the actors only really need to be there for their voices (though it helps to be able to do their own stunts as well).

Why does it need to be MC CGI? It can be live action like LOTR, there's no need for mrtial arts this is a fantasy saga with sword and sorcery. Drizzt can be done with make-up, visually he's a more bad ass dark skinned version of legolas with white hair. Although the stories are lighter and more action oriented than Tolkien they're still inspired by the world he created.

Why does it need to be MC CGI? It can be live action like LOTR, there's no need for mrtial arts this is a fantasy saga with sword and sorcery. Drizzt can be done with make-up, visually he's a more bad ass dark skinned version of legolas with white hair. Although the stories are lighter and more action oriented than Tolkien they're still inspired by the world he created.

I don't disagree that a live action Drizzt movie would be a huge helping of great smothered in awesome sauce. But each movie will take at least a couple of years to do properly. And unlike LOTR, which was one book broken down into three seperate parts by the publishers, this is a huge long list of books. In order to do the stories justice, each book would need its own film. Just from my own collection, there's Homeland, Exile, Sojourn, The Crystal Shard, Streams Of Silver, The Halfling's Gem, The Legasy, Starless Night, Siege Of Darkness, Passage To Dawn, The Silent Blade, The Sea Of Swords, The Thousand Orcs, The Lone Drow, The Two Swords, The Orc King, The Pirate King, and The Ghost King. I haven't even begun buying Bob Salvatore's latest Drizzt trilogy yet.

But just with the books in my collection alone, you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 years worth of filming (assuming the producers are willing to take their time and not rush a half assed product into theatres). Even if you find an athletic 18 year old actor to play Drizzt in Homeland, he'll be 48 by the time they're done shooting The Ghost King. You really think he'll look the same at 48 as he does at 18? Not likely. And he's playing an elf. Elves don't age as fast as humans. Even if the character of Drizzt is supposed to be 30 years older, a 130 year old elf looks just as young as he did when he was 100 years old. Hell, a 400 year old elf looks just as young as he did when he was 100. Make up and lighting can only do so much. Eventually, a live actor would have to be recast. And when that happens, there's no guarantee how the fans will react. I mean, look how people reacted to Kane Hodder not being cast as Jason in FvJ! And that's just a silent killer in a hockey mask!

By making the film MC CGI, you can cast and maintain the same actor throughout the series. And by choosing someone who is both a competent actor and a skilled martial artist, such as Marc Dacascos for example, he can do his own fight scenes without having to constantly switch places with stunt fighters. Also, the way Drizzt's fighting skills are described in the books, he's practically superhuman. There would have to be some serious special effects laid down for the fight sequences anyways. By doing the whole film in CGI, and not trying to blend CG & live action the way George Lucas did, you'll get the crazy acrobatic fight scenes described in the books without the fans groaning about "how fake it looks".

I don't disagree that a live action Drizzt movie would be a huge helping of great smothered in awesome sauce. But each movie will take at least a couple of years to do properly. And unlike LOTR, which was one book broken down into three seperate parts by the publishers, this is a huge long list of books. In order to do the stories justice, each book would need its own film. Just from my own collection, there's Homeland, Exile, Sojourn, The Crystal Shard, Streams Of Silver, The Halfling's Gem, The Legasy, Starless Night, Siege Of Darkness, Passage To Dawn, The Silent Blade, The Sea Of Swords, The Thousand Orcs, The Lone Drow, The Two Swords, The Orc King, The Pirate King, and The Ghost King. I haven't even begun buying Bob Salvatore's latest Drizzt trilogy yet.

But just with the books in my collection alone, you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 years worth of filming (assuming the producers are willing to take their time and not rush a half assed product into theatres). Even if you find an athletic 18 year old actor to play Drizzt in Homeland, he'll be 48 by the time they're done shooting The Ghost King. You really think he'll look the same at 48 as he does at 18? Not likely. And he's playing an elf. Elves don't age as fast as humans. Even if the character of Drizzt is supposed to be 30 years older, a 130 year old elf looks just as young as he did when he was 100 years old. Hell, a 400 year old elf looks just as young as he did when he was 100. Make up and lighting can only do so much. Eventually, a live actor would have to be recast. And when that happens, there's no guarantee how the fans will react. I mean, look how people reacted to Kane Hodder not being cast as Jason in FvJ! And that's just a silent killer in a hockey mask!

By making the film MC CGI, you can cast and maintain the same actor throughout the series. And by choosing someone who is both a competent actor and a skilled martial artist, such as Marc Dacascos for example, he can do his own fight scenes without having to constantly switch places with stunt fighters. Also, the way Drizzt's fighting skills are described in the books, he's practically superhuman. There would have to be some serious special effects laid down for the fight sequences anyways. By doing the whole film in CGI, and not trying to blend CG & live action the way George Lucas did, you'll get the crazy acrobatic fight scenes described in the books without the fans groaning about "how fake it looks".

Wow I didn't know the part about his fighting skills, but I'm thinking more an adaptation of some of the books or the ones considered the best although maybe it would be hard to choose. Which to you so far would make the more cinematic stories or the more compelling ones? if you had to choose only three to tell as films which ones would they be?

Wow I didn't know the part about his fighting skills, but I'm thinking more an adaptation of some of the books or the ones considered the best although maybe it would be hard to choose. Which to you so far would make the more cinematic stories or the more compelling ones? if you had to choose only three to tell as films which ones would they be?

Wow, that's a tough one. Some of the best stories are the later ones. However, they would make little sense to the general audience, many of whom would be unfamiliar with the characters. On the other hand, some of the earlier books would be far more difficult to pull off, either in live action or CGI. Particularly Homeland and Exile, both of which take place almost exclusively in The Underdark. Also, there's very little if any human elements to those stories, making them less relatable to the GA.

I would probably start off with Sojourn, beginning the film with a brief recap of the events of the first two books. Then go into the story of the third book. As this is where he meets Mooshie, learns to speak the Common Tongue, and befriends Catti-Brie and Bruenor, there is a more human element to the film which the GA would find more relateable.

After that, I would go into the Icewind Dale Trilogy (doing all three books of course). Personally, I feel that's the best way to go.

METAL GEAR SOLID. Oh and a Resident Evil movie that's actually based on the first game.

Edgar Wright, Neil Blomkamp and Joe Cornish come to mind.

I think Duncan Jones could do wonders as well, having done work directing cut scenes in games. Source Code I felt had the feel of many gaming elements.

Two days later and Duncan Jones is announced to be directing the Warcraft movie.

Fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"