Nightwing- Legacy of The Bat

I'd prefer Waid.....loved his run on the Flash. (pun intended) As much as I tried to endure D. Grayson's run because of the coincidental last name-I ended up hoping for another writer for the character--only to find out some kind of idiotic octopus jason todd thing--WTF? hate for the book to be cancelled due to some writer's lack of realistic-imaginations.

i know this isnt the right thread but i cant find a Nightwing general discussion thread?
anyone know where i can find one?

Why not use this as one? God knows the comic forums need some activity lol.

Last edited:
Ok, I will.
So did anyone else not really enjoy Nightwing #1?
The art was really messy to me, and the way it ended seemed really out of character.

I didn't enjoy the rebirth issue but I thought it was necessary.

I thought #1 was better but not amazing. The artist seems to... draw Dick with a tiny face but big head lol. Otherwise I thought it was alright, but there are better artists on other Rebirth books.

I don't know about this Raptor character... him attacking Nightwing and calling him a virgin isn't the best way to introduce a character we're probably supposed to like.

I agree!
and Nightwing being so stupid and falling for his baiting isn't in line with Dick at all. He would insult him back about his outfit or something. Quips are a staple for Grayson!

Yeah the interaction was off. Dick just got really mad. And what's Raptor's plan? Is he going to teach Nightwing how to get laid? Hopefully the next issue recovers their dynamic if it's going to be an important part of the book. The interactions with Bruce and Damian were good, though. And Nightwing's narrational voice is strong.

I thought both Red Hood and Batgirl were better. I'm sure Nightwing will improve since he's such a loved character.

I like the idea of Dick taking on the Court of Owls but I agree that Raptor's dialog with Dick was strange. Also, Dick's interactions with Bruce seem a bit off as well. I don't understand why their relationship is written so inconsistently. If you read the Batman title it's clear that Bruce sees Dick as the successor and an equal and it's just a matter of time before he retakes the cowl, but in Nightwing, Bruce seems annoyed to have him around. I prefer their relationship at the end of Prodigal where it underscored the father/son relationship.

The second issue was better than the first. Having just started reading DC comics I got the impression that Rebirth sort of interrupted Grayson and the first two issues had to simultaneously wrap up old plot threads and start some new ones. I liked Raptor more here - he's meta.

It still had the same issues as last time with Nightwing being portrayed really out of character and like he was very inexperienced. He has seen things far worse than human trafficking before so why was he so horrified at the idea of it, and again he just straight up has a rage moment going after Raptor...Nightwing is supposed to be the clever, quick witted guy, who is always ready with a comment not a "charge blindly while yelling shut-up" kinda guy.

I honestly haven't read Nightwing enough to know what's out of character for him. I guess if they make him too competent and experienced he just becomes (god-)Batman? Which I think is something the book has a kind of meta-commentary on - what the Nightwing branding means.

I agree that he shouldn't be the best at things, he should still make mistakes and have to learn and grow. I was specifically talking about Raptor making a snarky comment and then Nightwing just yelling SHUTUP and blindly swinging at the guy.
Nightwing is an excellent quipper, up there with Spider-man even. He has been since he was robin. It's a staple of his character.
I have no problem with Raptor beating him in combat, I just think Nightwing having such thin skin when it comes to a shallow insult is really regressing him.

I was specifically talking about Raptor making a snarky comment and then Nightwing just yelling SHUTUP and blindly swinging at the guy.
Issue three shows this happening again (reacting with fists first rather than words) so I can see your point. Still, I really do like how Nightwing is characterized and I think this series is getting better and better (art included). I thought Batgirl was made to look kinda bad to make Dick look better but I get she's kinda the voice of the Bat-family judging Nightwing's kinda dubious operations.

Youre right this issues art is better. I think this plot is building nicely too. I also like that they are referencing his death at the hands of the Crime Syndicate and his time at Spyral.

I honestly haven't read Nightwing enough to know what's out of character for him. I guess if they make him too competent and experienced he just becomes (god-)Batman? Which I think is something the book has a kind of meta-commentary on - what the Nightwing branding means.

Nightwing is usually portrayed as someone who is close to batman (and even better than bruce when he was at Grayson's age) in skill and gusto but still lacking Bruce's experience and obsessive tendencies hence he's not as 'perfect' as batman tends to be and can still make mistakes without it being totally out of character. Conversely Dick possesses a level of charisma and leadership quality that batman will never posses thus making him much more likable (for me atleast) and a much better leader.

As for the nightwing rebirth series, well, it's ok thus far but I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss chuck dixon and scott mcdaniel's first run on nightwing a long while back.

I think the current Nightwing is excellent, infact it's one of of my top Rebirth era books alongside Detective,Deathstroke,Superman. It does a really great job giving Dick his own unique toys to play with unlike the Dixon run which felt like a watered down version of Batman and Daredevil's stuff. Most importantly Seeley has definitely given the owls more depth in these 5 issues then Snyder ever did. Now we know their motivation, we know who made their maze and we know the person who came up with Electrum, Raptor is infinitely more cooler and interesting than Lincoln March. It's funny, they're both secret relatives of sorts of their respective foes but Seeley unlike Snyder isn't shying away from the actual ramifications and he gave Raptor personality,theme and a gimmick before moving towards his history with Dick while Snyder just tried to cheaply sell Lincoln before actually making him interesting.

The conclusion of the parliament stuff was a bit rushed, but I still really liked issue #4. Like I keep saying, this book gets better with each issue (and that includes the art which I now really like). The argument with Batman was great. I love Raptor as this drama-causing character in Dick's life.

Last edited:
I agree that Raptor is a good character for this book, wondering what his actual relationship to Dick is though, or if he just said that to throw him off?...maybe?
And I like the idea that Dick isn't as obsessed as Batman so he can possibly dip a toe into the dark side without losing himself to it. Remember he killed Joker that one time, and he let Blockbuster be murdered.

It's a good way to differentiate their approaches to super-heroism, although the Nightwing/Raptor dynamic seems pretty similar Batman/Catwoman. It's also interesting because Red Hood's thing is moral ambiguity, but he's basically the black sheep of the family while Dick is the prodigal son.

I liked the new issue up until the last panel. I liked his argument with Batman but then they have to go and make it that Raptor is playing Nightwing and Nightwing is too naive to recognize it.

Surprised no one discussing the latest issue. I really enjoyed the end of the Raptor arc. It's always refreshing when they make Dick and Bruce's relationship more than one sided. My favorite moment in the King Batman run thus far was Bruce staring down death and telling Alfred to pass the mantle onto Dick, as he felt he would in some ways be the better Batman.

As cheesy as it was, I liked Raptor's backstory. He is Dick's Lincoln March in a way.

Surprised no one discussing the latest issue. I really enjoyed the end of the Raptor arc. It's always refreshing when they make Dick and Bruce's relationship more than one sided. My favorite moment in the King Batman run thus far was Bruce staring down death and telling Alfred to pass the mantle onto Dick, as he felt he would in some ways be the better Batman.

As cheesy as it was, I liked Raptor's backstory. He is Dick's Lincoln March in a way.

I liked the issue as well and the rebirth nightwing continues its upswing run.
I'm not sure what to make of Raptor, the character has a lot of potential and his connection to Grayson's parents is an interesting one but his overtly long monologue and his questionable motivations just made him a generic bad guy for me personally. But like I said that character has potential so I wouldn't mind seeing him return sometime in the future.

If it wasn't for the weird connection to Dick's mom, I would have loved Raptor. It's hard to argue against his critiques of Bruce and his privilege, and the Bat-family will probably never reckon with what he was saying. Too bad Raptor was basically a moustache twirling villain that lets Nightwing basically write off everything he heard.

If it wasn't for the weird connection to Dick's mom, I would have loved Raptor. It's hard to argue against his critiques of Bruce and his privilege, and the Bat-family will probably never reckon with what he was saying. Too bad Raptor was basically a moustache twirling villain that lets Nightwing basically write off everything he heard.

Yeah, I have to agree. I still enjoyed this run for the most part, but Raptor's backstory was lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"