Justice League Nothing is Perfect - What you didn’t like about the Snyder Cut

Jordanstine

Civilian
Reaction score
1. Darkseid - he came across as weak during Gal Gadot’s history lesson (it also didn’t help that Gadot was narrating the story). Darkseid wasn’t given time to shine. All he did was jump off his aircraft, cracks the ground, cuts the arm off Yalan Gur, but then proceeds to get shot by a couple of arrows and gets easily pwned by Ares and his axe that his minions had to drag Darkseid away, back to his ship where he... faints! Darkseid, the most powerful and the most feared being in the DCEU Snyderverse gets dragged away by his minions and faints! Another thing, he just sounds like a generic monster. I’m not expecting Josh Brolin’s Thanos, but I wish his voice was more distinct rather than generic monster voice #2. His CGI wasn’t the best either.

2. Superman - like most have mentioned, Zack doesn’t get Superman. He was just regulated like Hawkeye from the first Avenger until the final battle. Even his scene with Lois and Martha trying to humanize with the audience felt... shallow. Regarding the theatrical cut, despite the mustache gate, Joss Whedon actually gets Superman and some of the scenes he taped, even the infamous Superman being interviewed by the kid scene, was something I wouldn’t have mind seeing incorporated into this cut (with better CGI obviously).

3. Martian Manhunter - the scene with him disguised as Martha speaking with Lois was very forced and unnecessary. Should’ve been deleted. If that scene wasn’t there, it would’ve lifted up his other scene, it would’ve made his appearance at the end more surprising, that should be the only time he should’ve cameo. Also the CGI is bad, very bad, like CW bad.

4. Time Travel - the time travel paradox was never really explained in the movie. When Avengers Endgame did it, they covered the whole concept and incorporated limits so that no one can just time travel whenever they wanted to. But in Justice League, Flash didn’t seem like he had any limits. Even while badly hurt he just ran and turned back time, just like that, he wasn’t even tired afterwards, just smiling and posing like it was no big deal. One thing I’ll say is the time travel aesthetic in this movie is much better than Endgame’s, but they never explained it in detail nor set any parameters and limits. So basically when something goes wrong from now on, there’s no reason for Flash to just turn back time, easy peasy.

Those are the major ones for me.

Minor ones would include the aspect ratio, the muted colors and slow motion effects every 5 mins it seems that Snyder is known for. Scenes that have gone much longer than needed (i.e. Cyborg watching what felt like a 10 min video of Linda Reed the poor mom), or questionable shots (i.e. the Joss Whedon-esque vehicle shot with the team in slow motion ala Age of Ultron).

Last edited:
Although I was happy to see that terrible red filter gone from the final battle, Snyder's choice in color filter doesn't make it feel that much better.

If anything, I liked the color filters that were shown in the first theatrical trailer for the movie (before he had left the project).

To the post above about time travel, time paradox is the premise of one of the main storylines in dc lores anyway. So i dont think it is that necessary to have it spelt out right now. Flash also does mention he can do weird thing to time so he probably knows that him winding back a few seconds to an hour wont do much to cause anything seriously bad.

Similarly, the flash show has that flash accidentally discover time travel going back a few days, albeit with minor consequences. So my point is maybe that is more apt to be done with the flash movie.

Re snyder cut, as much of a fan as i am, a bit much slow motion with the terrorist sequence.

Martian manhunter either should not be martha or needs longer screen time to explain why he masquerades as Martha.

Length, it doesnt feel long but it definitely can cut certain things: aquaman rescuing the boat guy, can cut principal office and combine that in the car, MM being martha.

That ah ah chant before WW theme lol.

I didn't like the film at all, but I think the worse things for me were the song montages and that stupid Owayywayaayy or whatever that chant was whenever Wonder Woman would appear.

Surprisingly few for me :D

Weird singing women.
Nonsense song choice for Aquaman's scene going into the ocean.
Barry's scene with the actual dogs (after saving Iris).
WW using her bracelets on the final, pathetic impotent terrorist and blowing out the side of the bank, wtf.
Both Martian Manhunter scenes.
Not enough Superman/Clark.
Knightmare/Joker scene - meh.

Some scenes dragged a wee bit too long but in a film like this, where virtually nothing was left off the table... I actually ate it all and pretty much all of it tasted good!

Considering this was a 4 hour film, I'd say job well done Mr. Snyder!

The singing women where Aquaman was in the beginning.....I mean WTF!! What was the whole purpose of that??

You don’t have to cut the whole thing so Bruce can look at them and then Arthur is gone....but you can easily shortened that song.

That LONG PAUSE of Joker when Batman said he’ll kill him.

I didn't like the re-used scenes from MoS and BvS as apart of Zack's reshoots. I understand why Zack had to do it and it wasn't his fault but it was the only time where things fell flat.

I'm also indifferent on the shirt rip being the black suit. I'm an advocate of the black suit and think Henry looks more than a badass in it but the shirt rip should have been the red and blue.

Other than those two blips, I absolutely loved everything else. Loved.

The pacing, not of the film itself, but of individual moments. Too much slow mo in general.

He spent time on that stuff, but there was precious little character interaction, development of relationships and there wasn't really a central theme, per se.

Maybe some of the chapter titles

Last edited:

That was my favourite part, with how it was shot with the bokeh, and the score building up tension, and his hand quivering. Masterful imo.

I thought the score was over bearing in too many scenes, like really so at times.

The Martha and Lois moment should have stayed as Martha non Lois.

To add to that point, MM just felt shoehorned in in general.

I thought Steppenwolf should have at least put up a bit of a fight with Superman, just a couple of hits would have done me. Though I loved Superman’s return overall.

That was my favourite part, with how it was shot with the bokeh, and the score building up tension, and his hand quivering. Masterful imo.

really?? It felt awkward to me. If he instantly LOL right after Batman said it...it would have been a classic Joker. That pause seemed like he just forgot his line. I dunno I’ll check it out again.

2 minor nitpicks:

- Some of the song placements, like the song in the scene with The Flash saving Iris and Aquaman at the Pier. I like the sings but they took me out the moments a little.
- Mera’s English accent, as an Englishman it’s offensive lol, it’s seriously Dick Van Dyke Mary Poppins levels of bad.

Other than that I honestly liked/loved everything.

The singing women where Aquaman was in the beginning.....I mean WTF!! What was the whole purpose of that??

You don’t have to cut the whole thing so Bruce can look at them and then Arthur is gone....but you can easily shortened that song.

When they started singing (and continued singing after Bruce left) I definitely raised an eyebrow, but I kinda liked it. He's been coming to this town brining them fish for however long, and I guess he has some kind of saint status for them, thus the singing was a tribute to him helping them. Stranger things happen in real life.

The pacing, not of the film itself, but of individual moments. Too much slow mo in general.

He spent time on that stuff, but there was precious little character interaction, development of relationships and there wasn't really a central theme, per se.
That's one of his flaws I often point out when it comes to DC films. It's in most of his work in some capacity.

But dude's got a knack for visuals tho.

Martian Manhunter. No problem with the design, but it was just pointless fan service that didn't belong in this film. The Martha = Martian Manhunter thing was particularly stupid and ruined an otherwise good scene. There was no reason for that at all.

There was absolutely zero reason that the film had to be as long a it was. Zero. You could cut out 25mins just by cutting down all of the dramatic slow motion.

Barry looked like a perv while Iris is falling to her death and he's just admiring how cute she looks and the entire dog scene was just lame.

Aquaman was full on dude-bro and needed to be toned down.

Superman as an actual character was useless.

Lois needed to be given more to do then just mope around the entire film.

Too many scenes of Lois before Supes’s resurrection. The first coffee one was enough, to set up why she’d be at the statue.

WW hostage scene contributed nothing to the plot or Diana’s character journey.

Cyborg charity scene was unnecessary.

Amazons failing into water and Steppenwolf surviving the fall was obvious and unnecessary.

Songs.

Icky Thump Aquaman scene was way better.

Second Henry Allen scene was better in the Whedon cut

Shirt rip shoulda been with the blue/red.

Luthor telling Deathstroke about Bruce’s name is less hype than the Legion of Doom.

Ohhhh boy...

I’ll only list my major gripes.

Superman was a non-character. If this was a cameo in a Shazam movie, fine. But this is ****ing Justice League. I can accept that he isn’t front and center but once he came back, he should have felt like a character and had some good interactions with the league. Instead, Snyder treats him like a blunt instrument of death. The farm scene was good but other than that, he’s basically just the Terminator (only with less dialogue).

Darkseid getting taken out so fast made him feel like he was barely a threat and would be nothing without an army.

That pet shop scene. That should be shown in film school classrooms for the next 50 years to explain to students everything you should NOT do when making a movie. From Barry’s annoying banter to his creepy interaction with Iris when she’s about to die to catching a hot dog out of the air to the slow-mo sesame seed... that scene was just Snyder aping the Quicksilver scene in DOFP but entirely missing what made that scene work (and before someone says anything, yes, Bryan Singer is a piece of crap but that scene was still much better than this).

Steppenwolf was better than the Whedon version, sure. But I still found him dull and I wasn’t a fan of his look. I think maybe it’s just the character himself. He’s not compelling, even if they tried to make him sympathetic. Not every comic book villain deserves an appearance in a movie. Should have gone with Desaad.

Aquaman just felt dull. Yeah, he’s badass and all that. But Momoa can be charming and charismatic and I didn’t feel he was here. I’m not a big fan of his solo film or his appearance in the Whedon cut, but he still had some fun moments in each. Here, he’s just a big ball of scowls and muscles.

I cannot say if I really like this "inversion":

Good Superman with Black Suit.
HOT_0043-2-XL.jpg

Bad Superman with Blue and Red Suit.
i-rVcW4gZ-X2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"