Now that Lucas is out of the picture

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
I think in 2020 Fox and Disney should join forces together to put the unaltered cuts on BD at last, restored and remastered.

I mean Universal/MGM joined forces for the Chucky Collection, Warner/MGM joined forces for the Mad Max Trilogy, Paramount/Warner for Friday The 13th collection and all that.

They have to coming soon.

I would think November 2015 would be the best time (right before episode 7).

Why wait until 2020?

Because that's when Fox's distibution rights expire, and completely revert to Lucasfilm/Disney.

Doesn't mean they can't work out some mutually beneficial arrangement before then, when the world is hyped for Episode VII, but from what I gather Fox don't play well with others.

Well maybe in 2016 Fox/Disney should join together for a boxset with the OT with the original unmolested original cuts and Episode 7.

I mean Lucasfilm can go into the Lucasfilm vaults and yes i think Kennedy would allow it since she knows about film preservation when she helped Spielberg with restoring Jaws and ET on blu-ray and they looked amazing. And Lucasfilm can do the right thing with Disney/Fox are no strangers to film preservation you know like take Alien or Beauty and The Beast or Tron or Pinocchio for all examples being excellent PQ and SQ restored for HD and they look amazing on HD.

They need to get the original cuts then clean up the negatives and do some Criterion style restoration and make us happy.

I keep hoping for this every year.

Blu-Rays of the unaltered original trilogy would be a day one buy.

I keep hoping for this every year.

Blu-Rays of the unaltered original trilogy would be a day one buy.
Absolutely. I don't really want to buy the current Blu-ray versions of the films. :csad:

^ Same here. I wasn't usually that pissed about the Lucas changes, minus the Jedi Rocks garbage that I always fast forward through. But there's no chance in hell I'll ever by a version of RotJ that has Vader shouting "Nooo.... NOOOOOoooo!"

Realy hopinh to eventualy see some sort of Ultimate edition that features the original trilogy unaltered, the Lucas Special edition, and an updated type of special edition done by Abrams and Disney which could serve the same purpose as the original special editions, of updating the originals and fixing some mistakes, but doesn't go full stupid with awful CGI like the Jabba thing. Pretty much what Adywan's Star Wars revised does.

I believe the originals need to be available in their original release form, but considering the whole saga, i also understand the need to fix some things due to continuity, however, i feel like Lucas's special editions did a lot of things that made things worse. While i doubt they will go make yet another "special edition", i'm still hoping for something like that done right eventualy.

I believe the originals need to be available in their original release form
I'm not going to get into the politics of it all, but yes, agreed. The DVD releases of the movies had the special edition version along with the original theatrical release. But it's like they purposely put on a rubbish quality version of the theatrical to make the edits looks even better in comparison. I'm positive the unedited theatricals can look good if given the proper treatment.

Yeah, they were made available, but in a very rough way, the quality of those versions was realy not very good. If there are films that deserve a proper Blu-ray treatment, it's the original Star Wars trilogy.

Last edited:
Like Lucasfim doesn't have the money to remaster the theatrical cuts ;) .

It's also something fans have been wanting for ages, would definitely make them a lot of money.

Not gonna happen, I'd bet money on not releasing the theatricals being part of the sale agreement. I don't really care either, if Lucas doesn't want to that's up to him. I'm good with what we have - I haven't even seen the theatricals.

This was posted on Blu-ray.com the other day:

post-70-0-14353900-1429968618.png

Now, granted, this Disney employee could just be referring to a digital release, but I doubt it, because in this day and age a serious physical release almost always comes with a digital copy code. If they have no plans to release a digital version of the original unaltered versions then I doubt we will be getting restored blu-ray versions of the unaltered original trilogy.

There may be no plans currently, but I think it's something that will probably happen eventually. I mean, there is money to be made there. Right now would be bad timing anyway because they want people to be buying the digital versions.

I think within the next 5 years it's very possible that we'll get the unaltered editions. Disney's MO at the moment seems to be all about appeasing the old school fanbase.

There may be no plans currently, but I think it's something that will probably happen eventually. I mean, there is money to be made there. Right now would be bad timing anyway because they want people to be buying the digital versions.

I think within the next 5 years it's very possible that we'll get the unaltered editions. Disney's MO at the moment seems to be all about appeasing the old school fanbase.
That's what makes me nervous about Episode VII

Not gonna happen, I'd bet money on not releasing the theatricals being part of the sale agreement. I don't really care either, if Lucas doesn't want to that's up to him. I'm good with what we have - I haven't even seen the theatricals.

That explains why you are good with what we have.

That explains why you are good with what we have.
I don't think I'd care even if I had seen the original cut though, the differences are very minor.

Also, I've been meaning to say this before, but I like your avatar!

I don't think I'd care even if I had seen the original cut though, the differences are very minor.

Some are, some are not and completely change scenes for the worse. I recommend looking up Hello Greedo's 7 part series looking at the various changes.

Some are, some are not and completely change scenes for the worse. I recommend looking up Hello Greedo's 7 part series looking at the various changes.

I second that. (Its on youtube, can't link it due to language tho)

I'm hoping they will release a remastered version of the original and special editions cuts of A New hope for the 40th anniversary release, would like if Disney made a 3rd "canonical" version which included the Episode IV part of the title but kept the rest of the film mostly unchanged, at most with small tweaks like what Adywan did in order to keep more visual continuity, like that amputed arm not having a fresh wound.

Then they could have these "Ultimate" releases every time one of the originals goes through a 40 years old anniversary, with each film receiving its oun separate editions like classic films like Oz and Casablanca got, instead of forcing them all into a single pack that has such boring covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"