Blade Official Blade General Discussion and Speculation Thread!

Plot twist: Ali secretly already left the role and in his place, Giancarlo Esposito will be playing Old Man Blade. :weeping:

After all, he said it's a role that we won't predict!
200w.gif

Plot twist: Ali secretly already left the role and in his place, Giancarlo Esposito will be playing Old Man Blade. :weeping:

After all, he said it's a role that we won't predict!
He doesn't look like to be playing Old Man Blade based from the 2024 paparazzi pics taken from the set of Captain America: Brave New World.

I don't think this should be shelved but I feel with the Jurassic news this could be Ali moving on. Marvel is struggling to get a Blade movie off the ground, what if this turned into a Disney+ show?

I don't think this should be shelved but I feel with the Jurassic news this could be Ali moving on. Marvel is struggling to get a Blade movie off the ground, what if this turned into a Disney+ show?
They don't need to downgrade it as a Disney+ show.

They could later revisit a Blade movie when they are less preoccupied and movies for B-tier Marvel characters have a bigger chance of succeeding at the box office.

Imagine if they already started filming and its supposed to come out next year, alongside Brave New World, Thunderbolts* and the Fantastic 4... its not a good release strategy.

Ali will be at the Jurassic World premiere and still get questions about Blade. :o

Just heard the most recent bad news for this. Seems as faraway as ever. :csad:

It’s so bizarre to me that this, of all things— based on source material that’s gotten the film treatment three times before (2/3 of which were actually successful)— is presenting such a problem for Marvel to get off the ground.

This really feels like Gambit/Inhumans all over again...
At this point I'm expecting Ali to sadly drop the role. And it would be understandable, a project this troubled is just stopping him from bigger commitments. It's crazy to say he was announced in the role in his 40s and the movie would be released, if it does, in his 50s.

As mentioned before, might as well just turn the project into the Midnight Sons movie. Or a Blade/Black Knight team up film.

This really feels like Gambit/Inhumans all over again...
At this point I'm expecting Ali to sadly drop the role. And it would be understandable, a project this troubled is just stopping him from bigger commitments. It's crazy to say he was announced in the role in his 40s and the movie would be released, if it does, in his 50s.

As mentioned before, might as well just turn the project into the Midnight Sons movie. Or a Blade/Black Knight team up film.
19714686-458a-4ead-93ee-0714bd44d040_text.gif

For the love of God, how do you not get Blade up from the ground?
Make a John Wick movie with Vampires...didnt the director even offer that he would love to do it?
How do you fumble this so much?
Like, at this point its getting laughable dumb how they cant get this ready to shoot.

According to Jeff Sneider, Ali is said to have grown frustrated with the director; while he's considered a talent behind the camera, the report claims Demange is also "difficult to work with."

The scooper adds that he and Marvel Studios parted ways in March; Kevin Feige is said to have been searching for a writer and director ever since, though it could be that they'll eventually get the same person to do both.

I have a bad feeling they’re so frustrated at this point that they may just hire someone like Tim Story to just get it done without any fuss.

Turn Blade into a TV show. Have him uncover that vampires are starting to work together unlike ever before. Whisperings that an ancient evil has returned that is uniting warring vampire clans. It all leads up to the season finale reveal that Dracula is back. Instilling mystery and build up into the first season with Deacon Frost as the big bad while hyping up the second season.

Turn Ghost Rider into a TV series as well. Put Eric Kripke (Supernatural, known for love of classic rock and muscle cars) behind it if possible.

And then bring Blade, Ghost Rider, Moonknight, Werewolf By Night, and more together as the Midnight Suns - unifying the supernatural Marvel properties in the same way Netflix did with street level heroes.

Premiere each in the fall leading into Halloween. The answer here is relatively easy. It helps to streamline everything and it aids the MCU in feeling like it’s all clearly building up to epic conclusions again.

Per Mahershala Ali, I doubt he’d be against that given casts such as Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke on Moon Knight. That show demonstrated that Blade can be done on Disney Plus at a high caliber level.

Rather than aiming to top Blade on a spectacle front (which I’m pretty sure they’re aiming to do), come at it through a mythology front instead by giving it more room to breathe and for it to become its own thing.

Last edited:
I dont know what the behind the scenes are on this movie. I have best guesses, but nothing I can accurately gage. What's for sure though is I essentially consider this movie as not existing until there is a trailer. News on it at this point is meaningless to me until there is a trailer

A TV show for Blade is unnecessary, IMO. There's no reason why a nice 1hr 40 minute movie of pure vampire slaying starring a two time Academy Award winner can't work.

I wouldn't say the sky is falling at Marvel, but regarding Blade it is off the rails for whatever reason.

I dont know what the behind the scenes are on this movie. I have best guesses, but nothing I can accurately gage. What's for sure though is I essentially consider this movie as not existing until there is a trailer. News on it at this point is meaningless to me until there is a trailer

If I was to guess:

- How to tell a Blade origin story that doesn’t feel too similar to the first Blade film. Which is a tad difficult because the main story would still be Blade getting revenge against Frost. While people here will inevitably say it’s easy, anything resembling the original film would likely have them fear retreading old ground.

- Aiming for Blade to be more of a spectacle than the other Blade films as to top them on that front and for it to feel like it’s on the same size as the other MCU films. People have been saying it doesn’t need to be made for much, but I doubt that thought is what the studio has in mind. As a result, it’s probably becoming more blockbuster than horror film (as it should be), losing what makes Blade - Blade in the process.

- They are likely trying to connect Blade to the other MCU films, of which it matches none and that will always stand out as out of place. It doesn’t need to be, but this is Marvel - known for trying to connect everything in each film. The properties Blade has the most in common with are on Disney Plus as shows. It’s like trying to place a steak next to an apple and saying it’s the same food.

- They may be thinking about using Dracula as the big bad in the first film to elevate Blade on a spectacle front to fit in with the other MCU films. In doing so they are possibly also aiming to figure out a franchise, which would be hard when Dracula can’t be topped. Ergo the hesitation of, what comes next?

Basically I see it coming down to Blade is very unlike their other films (that they are trying, like always, to connect it to) and they are aiming to heighten the spectacle level too much (to the point that it becomes action adventure rather than horror, losing what makes Blade - Blade in the process).

If they are trying to make Blade like their other films, which is very possibly their intent, there would be so many potential pitfalls for it.

Last edited:
If I was to guess:

- They are likely trying to connect Blade to the other MCU films, of which it matches none and that will always stand out as out of place. The properties Blade has the most in common with are on Disney Plus as shows. It’s like trying to place a steak next to an apple and saying it’s the same food.
This is all the reason I feel they should just make a Midnight Sons film and stick Blade in it.

But as far as connections, the literally only connective tissue Blade could have is to Eternals, and that's merely from a post-credits scene where the general audience would have no idea what links Blade and Dane Whitman besides that blade. At least with Love and Thunder, having Hercules, another god, sent after Thor makes sense.

Blade doesn't at all have to be overtly connected to most of the MCU. Considering he fights threats not really covered to date. Not like we have to incorporate Hydra lore and crap into the Vampire killing guy. There also really isn't a need to go all out on an origin. Now, the spectacle might be an issue. But 6 years you can't work that issue out? But regardless of WHY this is happening, end result is I don't really consider this movie at all at this point. I expect it to be cancelled or to come out in like 4 years and suck. So when we have these MCU slates for the year, I just don't factor this being there at all. Even if it's there, it isn't actually there

Blade doesn't at all have to be overtly connected to most of the MCU. Considering he fights threats not really covered to date. Not like we have to incorporate Hydra lore and crap into the Vampire killing guy. There also really isn't a need to go all out on an origin. Now, the spectacle might be an issue. But 6 years you can't work that issue out? But regardless of WHY this is happening, end result is I don't really consider this movie at all at this point. I expect it to be cancelled or to come out in like 4 years and suck. So when we have these MCU slates for the year, I just don't factor this being there at all. Even if it's there, it isn't actually there

Doesn't have to be and I should stress I never stated that I think it should be connected to the other MCU films. Tonally and subject-wise, other than Doctor Strange, they're way too different. However, this is Marvel we're talking about where one of the constant flaws for many of their films is them forcing connections in without letting the films be their own thing; chances are high they're trying to do the same with Blade. If they're trying to treat this like their other films - that'd be a hole they'd fall into. For this, they need to exit their wheelhouse.

Exactly.

You can have some fun and throw in some Doctor Strange easter eggs about the magical side of the MCU, but Blade fighting vampires and other assorted demons is relatively its own thing and you spin your own narrative from there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"