First Avenger OFFICIAL: Dominic Cooper to play Young Howard Stark!

but having 3 actors playing this character is getting a little ridiculous.
Can we really say the guy from the first Iron Man "played" the character? Wasn't he in, like, 2 pictures, each of which was on-screen for a half second?

To me, the guy can act, end of story in my eyes.

If there is a continuity error with age, its a small continuity error and not that important. He's not a major character in the series so his age shouldn't matter that much. I don't think many people are going to be bothered by that. I won't.

well like soemone said in another thread sure its will be 3 guys and all that. But im 1 doesnt really matter due to just be a few photos we see for a few seconds and all that. Then john S is playing elder age stark in his 60s or so. So of course they would want to go with a younger guy for 1940s scenes where he would be 20s or so. Cause it would be tough making older guy look younger with out blowing alot of money on. But yea they should have tried to get someone looking a bit more like john s but we dont know yet how stark is going to look in his 40s scenes. For all we know cooper could end up looking closer to stark sr older look.

The fact that people are upset about 3 different actors astounds me. Its really 2 different actors because I for one barely remember the first Papa Stark in IM1. And having a GOOD actor apposed to a crap actor that looks the part is really not an argument.

Ive never seen this guy act but everyone has good things to say about him so I am all for it. I cant wait for Cap and Thor! LETS GO COMICON SHOW US SOME SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET STUFF!

Can we really say the guy from the first Iron Man "played" the character? Wasn't he in, like, 2 pictures, each of which was on-screen for a half second?
We have 3 different images of the character for 3 different movies. I didn't begrudge them the recast after the first Iron Man, because like you said, he was just in pictures, and there were many unknown factors involved, including the success of the movie and whether there would ever be any need for the character again. But when making IM2, they didn't have that excuse.

Oh well, what's done is done, and like I said, I don't hate it because Cooper's a good actor who does bear resemblance to RDJ, and I look forward to seeing what he does with the role.

I wouldn't count on anything big. I only expect to see him possibly present at the experiment of Steve and then the Expo which probably won't take much screen time.

He can't be closer in age to Oppenheimer or Howard Hughes because those guys were in their 40s in WW2 and if he's closer to that age than 20, he probably had Tony when he was 60, which makes little sense.

Howard's a rich, captain of industry type. These guys often marry much younger women to give them heirs. Last I checked, guys can pretty much remain fertile until they die. I don't see a problem with Howard fathering Tony when he was 55-65 years old or so. IM2 already stated that he didn't have the burden of raising Tony(which still would have been obvious even if they hadn't out-right said it).

I am not as excited about this casting. He is probally a good actor, but how will his accent hold up? Also, he looks way too young. Howard Stark is supposed to be a genius and someobody who worked on the Manhattan project. I know Tony is a prodigy, but I have a hard time buying this babyfaced guy as Howard.

The Manhattan Project was something he was a contributor to. That's all. It wasn't his brain child or anything. He's a very smart guy who came from money already(like Howard Hughes) and parlayed that into the defense contractor game. This also would have put him involved with Operation: Rebirth(also, not a program of his design but that he contributed to).

I hope Marvel doesn't ruin this movie with all that Avengers nonsense the same way they ruined IM2 for me. If I read reviews saying that CA is just another Avenger's ad ala Iron Man 2, count me the f**k out.

I hope Marvel doesn't ruin this movie with all that Avengers nonsense the same way they ruined IM2 for me. If I read reviews saying that CA is just another Avenger's ad ala Iron Man 2, count me the f**k out.

:whatever:

Here we go again.

They only mention the Avengers at the very end of Iron Man 2 and all of a sudden it's an Avengers commercial.

Just do everyone a favor and count yourself out already.

Once again, SHIELD, BW, and Nick Fury were all a part of Iron Man's mythology so it makes sense why SHIELD was in IM2. If SHIELD didn't have a bigger presence I bet people would complain about that.

:whatever:

Here we go again.

They only mention the Avengers at the very end of Iron Man 2 and all of a sudden it's an Avengers commercial.

Just do everyone a favor and count yourself out already.
Well yes. That is my and alot of other people's opinions about the film. Deal with it.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are entitled to yours.

Don't care that you don't agree with me. *shrugs*

As I said, after the cluttered mess that was Iron Man 2 I hope that Captain America isn't a simular cluttered mess. I hope that CA is about the character and his adventure and not another toy commercial. I'm not going to argue about IM2 in this thread anymore because we are off topic.

But I remained concerned about CA because of Marvel's trackrecord. The Incredible Hulk was only okay and Iron Man 2 was worse than it. I hope a good movie comes about but stuff like this news makes my hopes go down.

Last edited:
Well IM2's two big problem was the story and the lack of a good screenwriter. How good is Whedon as a screenwriter since I hear he's rewriting Cap?

i cant wait to see what they are planning to do with stark sr. in ww2.

I wonder if Maria Stark will have a role in the movie? Even a cameo would be nice and tie into the Iron Man continuity, and would be like a mini Iron Man prequel. Maybe it could show Howard Stark meeting Maria.

Maria is much, much younger than Howard. If she's alive at all in WWII, she'd just be a small child.

Maria is much, much younger than Howard. If she's alive at all in WWII, she'd just be a small child.

Well they could still hint at her. Maybe a young girl named Maria comes to watch Howard in his lab, or sees a picture/ footage of him and is transfixed.

Howard is transfixed or Maria is? If the latter then ok, if the former then ewwww!!!

Don't complicate this **** more than it already is... the last thing we need is Anakin aging ten years when Amidala ages like three years in the same time span. Still have trouble working that one out. But seriously, if Maria shows up, she'd be in grade school, while Howard is already in his late twenties or thirties. I'd be worse than the movie Cooper was just in, An Education, only instead of him it was Peter Saarsgard screwing a girl fifteen years younger than him.

Mrs. Stark has no significance to Cap's story and really pointless to include her.

I don't have a problem with this. Cooper has a vague resemblance to RDJ and can pass for mid 20's. I mean, it would've been a waste of money to bring in John Slattery and digitally de-age him when you can just get a younger actor for what will likely be only a small role.

Howard is transfixed or Maria is? If the latter then ok, if the former then ewwww!!!

I meant Maria is transfixed!!

In any event, since the movies aren't following the comics exactly, Maria doesn't need to be a young girl. She could be older, maybe a teenager or early 20s. In the comics, Sue Storm was much younger than Reed Richards, but in the movies, she wasn't that much younger at all.

If we follow that logic, then Maria would've been 50+ when she gave birth to Tony in the early 1970's. I can buy Howard being older but Maria being that old is a hard sell. It's much easier to simply have it that Howard married a much younger woman(around 20 years younger).

The problem lies in Iron Mans origin being moved forward from the Vietnam era to Afghanistan. Therefore Stark Sr. would realistically be more significant to the Korean or even Vietnam War eras. But what can you do when he's needed for WWII. The only problem I have is that for me Stark Sr. has always been an industrialist/visionary not a child genius like his son which is what I view as Tony's special ability.

They're so obsessed of tying everything together because of the Avengers. Howard Stark did not need to create Shield or being tied to WWII.

I didn't like the part in IM 2 where Tony finds a formula hidden by his father because like you said, if the father has everything that the boy has, then Tony is not that great and it becomes the Ang Lee Hulk movie. Howard is an industrialist and a weapon manifacturer but not an inventor.

Yeah they sort of shoe-horned the Howard/SHIELD tidbit in IM2. They always wanted him to be a significant historical figure so it made sense to tie him into something like the Manhattan Project. He should have been more of a Cold War guy that was involved in the Space Race, nuclear arms race, or the Strategic Defense Initiative. If he was a grad student working on the Manhattan Project then fine. But that's too young to be founder of the SHIELD and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"