• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Rubinov say the same formula for the MIA Superman Returns sequel?

"Darker & more action" seems to be the templated answer of Rubinov of not knowing what to do.

I bet there's legitimacy to them still considering a sequel, but I'd be pretty shocked if it actually happened. They're looking at a $100 million loss according to that LA Times article... Hard to imagine them green lighting a sequel.

That's because they made crap here tonight. They made a long steaming pile of green crap. And it stars a goofball who's ability to act is borderline half baked ******ed. :kyle:

Ryan Reynolds acting was solid. Same with Sinestro. Script was the failure...

359062423.jpg

saw this said the uk version coming out oct 16 for the US it will be oct 25

©KAW;21070305 said:
That's because they made crap here tonight. They made a long steaming pile of green crap. And it stars a goofball who's ability to act is borderline half baked ******ed. :kyle:

Oh, how nice of you to conveniently join in after like god knows how long only to whine about the execution of the Green Lantern movie. :whatever:

I really doubt a sequel will be made. A reboot down the line sure, but a direct sequel to a critical and commercial flop? I doubt it.

he's still talking about a sequel as of today

but if superman returns couldn't get a sequel, why would they give one to green lantern?

at least superman made a profit

I'm just hoping there's a chance we'll even get a reboot later on.

And I'm not really confident about what robinov's saying for the direction of the sequel. Green Lantern isn't a dark, edgy comic. It should be trying to be star trek 09. That movie is not dark and edgy.

And as far as balancing the time on earth and in space, why do we need earth at all? It just brings the scale down.

We don't need earth? Come on! It's Hal's job to protect his sector. It wouldn't be right at all if earth wasn't used in the sequel.

We don't need earth? Come on! It's Hal's job to protect his sector. It wouldn't be right at all if earth wasn't used in the sequel.

You seriously didn't get enough of earth in the first movie?

There are so many planets they could explore in the sequel, and a dozen routes they could take, that render earth irrelevant.

Why would a movie about the sinestro corps need to involve earth at all?

At the very most, earth should make a brief appearance in 3-4 scenes for hal's character.

There won't be a sequel.

And this idea that the sequel will have more space stuff is baffling. The first movie cost 200 million dollars and had about 20-30 minutes of space stuff. How much is the sequel going to cost? 400 million?

No matter how much Geoff Johns and Dan Didio love Hal Jordan, they all must realise that making a sequel to this movie would be a absolutely terrible business decision.

There won't be a sequel.

And this idea that the sequel will have more space stuff is baffling. The first movie cost 200 million dollars and had about 20-30 minutes of space stuff. How much is the sequel going to cost? 400 million?

No matter how much Geoff Johns and Dan Didio love Hal Jordan, they all must realise that making a sequel to this movie would be a absolutely terrible business decision.
The sequel could cost the same amount of money and they will probably make it if the licensees sold enough Green Lantern stuff.
The income from the movie theaters is a fraction of the money they'll make.

So you think it'll make 150-200 million dollars from merchandise and DVD/Blu Ray sales? And that's the amount it needs jut to break even.

Not a chance.

The movie already made its budget back in TV rights sales before hitting screens. As all the studio movies.

Uhhh no it didn't. So you think the tv rights sales are like what, 300 million dollars?

The film, at this moment in time, is about 150 million off breaking even. And i'm not even figuring in distribution costs and the cut that goes to the cinemas. In reality, Green Lantern needs to make at least 200 million somehow, someway, just to break even. It's budget, including marketing costs, is over 300 million dollars. That means it needs to make somewhere in the region of 400-500 million dollars (not just in the cinema, i'm talking everything, merchandise, dvd/blu ray, tv)

Ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
Uhhh no it didn't. So you think the tv rights sales are like what, 300 million dollars?
Closer to 200.
And most of the marketing expenses today are paid with cross-promotion.
No studio movie is greenlit if they don't have like 90% of the budget in the pockets (at least in paper form), thanks to pre-sales, tax incentives and product placement. Do you really think they will risk losing a single cent?
Read this for an example:
http://www.slate.com/id/2117309/

None of those things really apply to Green Lantern. It was filmed in America and had no tax breaks.

And where is this idea coming from that a film about an unknown superhero can sell it's tv rights for 200 million?

Green Lantern is a financial disaster, it's that simple.

None of those things really apply to Green Lantern. It was filmed in America and had no tax breaks.

And where is this idea coming from that a film about an unknown superhero can sell it's tv rights for 200 million?

Green Lantern is a financial disaster, it's that simple.
Yawn.
Why do you think they shot the movie in New Orleans? Because they enjoyed the hot humid weather?
No, because of the tax breaks.
And yes, worldwide Tv sales income for a movie like Green Lantern, cable, satellite and free, can reach those figures.
I'm sorry for the second grade Hollywood analysts on the boards but the truth is a bit more complex than your math.

Yawn.
Why do you think they shot the movie in New Orleans? Because they enjoyed the hot humid weather?
No, because of the tax breaks.
And yes, worldwide Tv sales income for a movie like Green Lantern, cable, satellite and free, can reach those figures.
I'm sorry for the second grade Hollywood analysts on the boards but the truth is a bit more complex than your math.

How do you know that they didn't by Green Lantern's rights for less?

Because pre-sales are done according to the movie budget (or what the studio sells as the real budget) and the marketing budget.
Warner gives a guarantee to let's say a French Tv channel that in 2012 they will have three big blockbuster movies in the 150-200 million range of budget and with at least 100 million spent on each for marketing, and three comedies and two 50 million $ dramas.
Then they ask, do you want to buy everything for THI$$$$ sum or are you interested just in the Dark Knight for THI$$?

TIME Magazine names the 20 Worst Summer Blockbusters of All-Time:

20. The Last Airbender
19. Knight and Day
18. Hudson Hawk
17. Avengers
16 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
15. Stealth
14. The Haunting
13. Howard the Duck
12. Speed 2: Cruise Control
11. Green Lantern
10. Pearl Harbor
09. Catwoman
08. Wild Wild West
07. Waterworld
06. Godzilla
05. Batman and Robin
04. Battlefield Earth
03. Sex and the City 2
02. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
01. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

http://www.filmjunk.com/2011/07/28/t...s-of-all-time/

I was confused at hell when it said 'Avengers', but then I realized they meant the British TV series adaptation.

Ryan Reynolds acting was solid. Same with Sinestro. Script was the failure...
A solid, soft and squishy...either way he was turd. Until Warner Bros. get rid of him, no one will take the film to heart. Oh, and I agree, the script was a mess too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"