Official Rurouni Kenshin Thread

hippie_hunter

The King is Back!
Reaction score
Why the hell isn't there a thread about this awesome series yet? :mad:

Does anyone watch or read the manga (happy oakzap)?

Anyways, I got volume 24 and it makes me really wish that they just waited for the Jinchu/Rememberances arc of the manga instead of making s**t up for the third season of the anime :mad:

I am following the viz releases and am liking it. I never got a chance to see the whole anime though. I watched it off and on up to the Shishio stuff, but that was years ago. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the filler they made, but never saw that and from the sounds of it I don't want to.

Its too bad that Watsuki hasn't done much more stuff. I was thinking of picking up SamSho5 just because of his designs.

GekigangerV said:
I am following the viz releases and am liking it. I never got a chance to see the whole anime though. I watched it off and on up to the Shishio stuff, but that was years ago. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the filler they made, but never saw that and from the sounds of it I don't want to.

Its too bad that Watsuki hasn't done much more stuff. I was thinking of picking up SamSho5 just because of his designs.

Shishio is total badass :o

And get the Jinchu arc. It's far superior to the filler episodes of the anime.

They should have just taken a break and wait for the manga to advance instead of making their own filler arc.Now nobody will ever get to see the Jinchu arc,which is superior to the filler on so many levels.:down

I've seen all the anime and am in the process of getting caught up in the manga.

One of the things I love about the series is while it does have the superhuman martial arts, because of the numerous historical references, it has a feeling of authenticity, like it could of really happened in Meiji Era Japan.

I remember the anime on CN I enjoyed I still wonder why that one guy never got another bigass sword insted of using his fists. Cus after he lost the sword he became useless.

Sanosuke Sagara

As far as the big fights go, yeah he wasn't a big factor. Personally, I think part of the theme of Kenshin is family, and that was where Sano served his purpose. Him, Karou, and Yahiko found strength through their own personal traumas from Kenshin while Kenshin found strength in them.

And concerning Sano not replacing the Zanbatou, I guess he felt it wasn't his style. Some prefer swords, some guns, he decided he liked his fists.

deathshead2 said:
I remember the anime on CN I enjoyed I still wonder why that one guy never got another bigass sword insted of using his fists. Cus after he lost the sword he became useless.

Sanosuke repaired the zanbatou in the Jinchu arc but it got completely destroyed beyond repair during the fight.

hippie_hunter said:
Sanosuke repaired the zanbatou in the Jinchu arc but it got completely destroyed beyond repair during the fight.
Why doesn't he just get another one.

Sano was the man though. He was a pretty good fighter as well. He beat that huge member of the Oniwaban group. As for the sword Kenshin proved that it was ineffective against skilled fighters such as himself because it was so slow and took a while to swing it.
Kenshin kicked ass in that show.

Have read all the Mangas and it's one of my favorite series. Watched a few Episodes of the Anime but stopped because he disliked the changes they made and all the filler.

My favorite character would be Saito Hajime.

saito.jpg

Nathan said:
Have read all the Mangas and it's one of my favorite series. Watched a few Episodes of the Anime but stopped because he disliked the changes they made and all the filler.

My favorite character would be Saito Hajime.

saito.jpg

Shishio Makoto > Saito Haijime

Concerning power and skill I am not denying that.

Nathan said:
Concerning power and skill I am not denying that.

I was talking about who was the bigger badass. Shishio is definetly that.

Power and skill wise, it's a toss up between Shishio or Hiko Seijuro

Is Kenshin the best fighter in the show?
I had always thought he was but I haven't seen every episode or read the comics so I don't know

D.Rex said:
Is Kenshin the best fighter in the show?
I had always thought he was but I haven't seen every episode or read the comics so I don't know

No, Kenshin is not the most powerful.

Makoto Shishio is superior to Kenshin in skill. Shishio would have most likely defeated Kenshin if he didn't spontaneously combust.

Seijuro Hiko XIII is superior to Kenshin in terms of experience and is equal to Kenshin. This man is Kenshin's mentor of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu.

Soujiro Seta is superior to Kenshin in terms of speed. With the Shukuchi, Soujiro managed to dodge the Kuzuryusen, an attack that cannot be blocked or dodged. Kenshin's speed cannot be registered by the naked eye only during the ultimate attack of Hiten Mitsurgi Ryu: Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki. Soujiro can do it whenever he wants to with the Shukuchi. Kenshin barely managed to defeat Soujiro because the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki is only slightly more powerful than the Shun Ten Satsu, Soujiro's ultimate attack.

Without the Kuzuryusen and the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki, Kenshin is equal in skill to Haijime Saito and Aoshi Shinomori. Saito also has equal skills in observation to Kenshin.

deathshead2 said:

In episode 5 of the anime, Kenshin tells him that his sword has 2 types of attack: a vertical slash & a side slash, and due to its size & weight, it's extremely easy to predict. So I guess that's why Sano never uses his sword again.

Even though he is'nt as strong as Kenshin, he's really one cool character.

BTW I just bought the Kenshin DVD Economy box set #1, and it's really worth the price... (6 DVDs included, eps 1-27)

deathshead2 said:

True that Sano didn't have any cash, I'm not sure if he actually decided that he was a fist fighter or not. Ever think that he had an emotional connection with the Zanbatou? Maybe it was a sentimental thing, ya know.

I was given Volume 2 on Free comic book day. Still haven't read it yet but this may be my chance to get into this genre.

Who was the guy with the burn scars and the bandages? After he was taken down I stopped watching the show and lost interest in the manga.

That was Shishio Makoto, or Hitokiri Shishio. After Kenshin gave up the role of the assassin (he became more exposed), assassinations were delegated to a new, more talented swordsman named Shishio. It's ironic because I think Shishio's first mission was to execute the man who betrayed Kenshin and cost him the life of his wife, Tomoe. After that, he took care of a lot of...dirty business for guys in power and they were afraid that he would talk and Shishio apparently did threaten to reveal some of these secrets unless he was paid a large sum of money (according to the Meiji Government anyways). So they decided to silence him by bashing his skull in and burning him alive. However he survived the ordeal, his skin and flesh burnt, his sweat glands destroyed hence he could not release his internal body normally. Because of this he could only fight for 15 minutes ( a limit that he could have used more effectively if he didn't spend half of it monologue-ing) however he was still strong enough to take down all four of Japan's greatest fighters and did block Kenshin's strongest move. Shishio was not defeated, it was more like he was consumed by his disease in a crucial moment. In truth if it wasn't for his condition, he probably would have mopped the floor with Kenshin, Sano, Saitou and Aoshi. A badass to the end, he died laughing as flames devoured him. He later appears in Hell with the intention of conquering it.

I've always believed that Shishio is the best fighter in RK, however some of my friends think that Enishi is better. Total crap in my opinion but what do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"