Official WonderCon thread, aka help me to NOT kill Dan DiDio

Oh geez, newsarama has a recap of the DC Nation panel and they've got several blatant mistakes about what went on. 'Course, Matt Brady was sitting at like the far corner of the room, so it'd be a greater shock if he had heard everything clearly.

newsarama said:
DiDio opened the panel asking the crowd who's been reading Countdown, which resulted in some applause. Asked why the fan liked Countdown, the reply "Better than 52" was yelled

Asking another fan why they liked Countdown, another fan said, "I was expecting a train wreck and didn't get it." To which DiDio said should be used as a back cover quote on the trade.
NO! No no no no no no no! Not what happened! After the guy yelled "Better than 52," someone from the other side of the room yelled "Blasphemy!" and then DiDio asked him, the second guy, why he thought 52 was better than Countdown, to which he made the train wreck analogy.

newsarama said:
Asked by a fan, Carlin said that the Birds of Prey will be moving out of Metropolis into a new fictional city that is being set up for the book and the team. New villains will be making an appearance as well.

Carlin added one tease about Tony Bedard's upcoming storyline, saying: "It's been a long time coming, but we're going to see Barbara meet up with the Joker."
Ah, no. What he said was "We're going to see Barbara run over the Joker." ;)

newsarama said:
Other fan favorite titles included Wonder Woman and Booster Gold, to which DiDio asked, "Who here thinks Blue Beetle is back forever?" Which was answered by groans from audience members.
Oh, this was me.

newsarama said:
DiDio said that Bruce Jones upcoming arc on Checkmate will explore other aspects of the organization, rather than the core staff that Greg Rucka has used in his stories to date.
This was my question:O.

CBR's accounting of the panel is a lot briefer, but also a lot more accurate.

Sounds like you had fun. If you go again, you should say you are repesenting superherohype.

Are you sure you don't want to rethink that sentence?

No I dont want to rethink that at all it is what i wanted to say. Im not a huge racist or anything but i seriously did'nt like John as GL and i would have prefered a white GL that I had grown up reading and woul dhave rather seen get animated. Did John grow on me? Yeah but i still didnt want him as GL.

Not to be predictable, but it really kinda is. I mean, that just nakedly, shamelessly reveals the real reason people didn't like John Stewart on JLU. And of course, that was always transparently obvious, but it's a bit shocking to see it so freely admitted.

To be Honest i was just saying it will be nice to see a different Gl and that having a White guy voice him will be nice cause i was sick of hearing John as GL. Its not the same for Superman or Batman, there is only one of those characters there are 5-6 Gl's,that are a huge focus that is,and we consistently had just John and hardly any Cameos form the others. I mean i thought John was an OK character but he was boring and stiff. His constructs were lame and yes i know that was due to budget constraints aswell but if you had some one like Guy or Kyle in there, really kinda creative guys, it would have been much more fun if you ask me, ecspecially the interaction with Wally. So in conclusion im not racist i just like seeing other characters get the moment to shine.

Newsarama makes me laugh, they need to care less about live update and care more about getting their sources correct.

It happens every con.

A Shade mini series by Robinson makes me squeal with joy though.

Um BrianWilly, I've already seen the New Frontier DVD. Torrents FTW!

What does FTW mean in forumspeak? I used to be a punk, so the only thing it means to me is "**** the World," and I don't think that's what it's used for in a sentence like that.

What does FTW mean in forumspeak? I used to be a punk, so the only thing it means to me is "**** the World," and I don't think that's what it's used for in a sentence like that.
For the Win

DiDio then moved on to correcting something he said at yesterday's panel, saying that there is no BatWOMAN series coming soon, but Adam Beechen will be writing a new BatGIRL mini-series.

Batgirl Cassandra Cain? LAWL! I see a revival of the Darth and Leaguer thread in the works.

Why is there no Batwoman? Why is the Batwoman gone?

DiDio then moved on to correcting something he said at yesterday's panel, saying that there is no BatWOMAN series coming soon, but Adam Beechen will be writing a new BatGIRL mini-series.

why.jpg

While I'm not a huge fan of Batgirl (good character still, but I just never got big into her), I feel sorry for all you Cass fans out there.

Beechen writing a Batgirl series must be like a kick in the balls for you people.

It is.

Damn, burning heck, it very is. . .

Ever since OYL, I've been pretending Cass Cain died during Infinite Crisis.

Oh gods, you all should have heard the STUNNED-ASS SILENCE that followed Beechen's announcement. I think reality literally went ":dry:." They did seem like they were genuinely trying to address fan concerns, though, and promised profusely that everything will be answered and dealt with.

Man, newsarama completely skipped over me bringing up the recent abundance of fill-in issues in their article. IT SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT ME, DAMNIT. But seriously, everyone in the room had a pretty lengthy discussion about it, too. Oh, look, CBR has it.. Anyway, DiDio basically said to not look at them as "fill-ins," but as integral, organic parts of the storyline. *shrug*

Oh, yeah, and I was the one who asked about Tempest:D. Both articles make Winick sound more...cohesive...about the notion that he actually was, though. His response was a lot more like "Oh, sure, uh...yeah, Tempest. That guy. Ah. Sure. He'll be back. When I get to it. Yup!"

During the discussion about how much you get to change iconic characters, Mark Bagley brought up Spider-Man, and how much he liked Ultimate S-M being young forever, and how the biggest mistake Stan Lee made was to go through Peter's teens too quickly. He seems to be completely of the NEVER AGE ANYONE mindset, and even said that he thought it was a huge mistake for Clark and Lois to be married (to which I was :cmad: up the wazoo). However, he also said that Marvel was totally making a mess out of the OMD/BND stuff:hehe:. Of course he was like "I totally have nothing bad to say about Marvel, totally!" about it, but his point got across.

Hmm, also...
newsarama said:
Will Wonder Girl, Robin, and the rest of the sidekicks ever stop being so "emo?" DiDio: "Have you ever met a teenager?"
There was quite a bit more discussion about this than just this. DiDio said that he personally really liked the drama and the conflict that these hormonal kids go through. The querent brought up how annoying it is when everyone around Tim is just dying once every few months how Robin is now darker than Batman. DiDio then made a really weird point (or maybe I just didn't hear or understand it correctly) about how it makes sense for Robin to be darker because he's gone through so much. So, yeah, bad news is that the whole nonsense between Tim and Cassie is going to be drawn out, even eventually incorporating some storyline/relationship elements from Tim's own series.

Let's see...that's about all I can remember that was obliquely left out of these articles.

I later went to JMS's panel, and asked him about Loki being a woman now
emot-3.gif
. I think he thought that I was more serious or even annoyed about it than I actually was. Anyway, he gave the ol' "he's a shapeshifter, and has been a woman before" answer, and how he's trying to go for a new angle right now, trying to come up with a different approach with his scheming. He revealed there's gonna be a great scene coming up involving She-Loki and some other Asgardians.

I was gonna try to get a second question in, about OMD, but someone else beat me to it. JMS revealed that, originally, "Back in Black" wasn't supposed to exist at all, 'cause it was weird for Aunt May to be in that hospital all year, but that Quesada wanted to tie-in with the movie, which he understood and agreed with. He then gave the standard "Even if I don't agree with it, Quesada is the boss and the one who makes the calls, and a lot of his calls have been great and helped Marvel and there's no hard feelings and" yada yada yada etc. JMS actually comes across quite amiable and fun in person.

That's...basically it. I also saw some of Street Fighter 4 and Lucasfilms stuff, but I'm sure y'all don't care about that:D.

New Frontier was pretty great. It...feels more like a Bruce Timm work -- a JLU episode, if you will -- than it feels like a Darwyn Cooke work. Does that make any sense? I mean, yeah of course it does, and that's not necessarily a bad thing...unless you love Cooke and absolutely hate Timm's stuff. I don't, but I can see someone not feeling it.

Upcoming includes spoilers:
It stays pretty close to the book. [blackout]Intro of Dinosaur Island is omitted, as is nearly the entirety of Ted Grant's fight (we see bits of it on TV). Bits of Wonder Woman's stuff, including the Washington ceremony and relaxing in Paradise Island, were cut. No Pieface! John Henry is seen only on TV.[/blackout]. Some details were changed, such as [blackout]Hal and Rick Flagg being the ones to try and fly to Mars (and therefore the ones that Superman tries to save). Batman is present at the finale, and it was he who brought Ray Palmer into the team[/blackout]. The first part moved a bit slowly and was narratively jumpy, which is understandable since the first part of the book was pretty much all expository chapters. Still, it felt a little like "let's do the plot bunny dance of plot bunnies." Some of what I thought were key emotional moments from the book were either gone over too quickly or skipped over entirely, imo; when [blackout]people like Adam Strange, Green Arrow, and Ray Palmer pop up near the end, it feels like the most random thing because not a one of them was seen, even briefly, for any of the preceding hour[/blackout]. Focus is on Hal and on J'onn, respectively.

Still, I feel like they did quite an excellent job with the material. The great moments that made you feel what you felt during the book are going to make you feel exactly the same here. The entire last forty-five or so minutes are just an orgy of great moments. Superman's thunderclap is made into such a badass thing on the screen. Flash vs Captain Cold, the ring-slinging, etc etc. Oh yeah, and if you think Faraday's just gonna roll over and die, you're in for a bit of a surprise.

That's...pretty much it. I'm going again tomorrow, but mostly for Summer Glau:O.

New Frontier was pretty great. It...feels more like a Bruce Timm work -- a JLU episode, if you will -- than it feels like a Darwyn Cooke work. Does that make any sense? I mean, yeah of course it does, and that's not necessarily a bad thing...unless you love Cooke and absolutely hate Timm's stuff. I don't, but I can see someone not feeling it.

It stays pretty close to the book. [blackout]Intro of Dinosaur Island is omitted, as is nearly the entirety of Ted Grant's fight (we see bits of it on TV). Bits of Wonder Woman's stuff, including the Washington ceremony and relaxing in Paradise Island, were cut. No Pieface! John Henry is seen only on TV.[/blackout]. Some details were changed, such as [blackout]Hal and Rick Flagg being the ones to try and fly to Mars (and therefore the ones that Superman tries to save). Batman is present at the finale, and it was he who brought Ray Palmer into the team[/blackout]. The first part moved a bit slowly and was narratively jumpy, which is understandable since the first part of the book was pretty much all expository chapters. Still, it felt a little like "let's do the plot bunny dance of plot bunnies." Some of what I thought were key emotional moments from the book were either gone over too quickly or skipped over entirely, imo; when [blackout]people like Adam Strange, Green Arrow, and Ray Palmer pop up near the end, it feels like the most random thing because not a one of them was seen, even briefly, for any of the preceding hour[/blackout]. Focus is on Hal and on J'onn, respectively.

Still, I feel like they did quite an excellent job with the material. The great moments that made you feel what you felt during the book are going to make you feel exactly the same here. The entire last forty-five or so minutes are just an orgy of great moments. Superman's thunderclap is made into such a badass thing on the screen. Flash vs Captain Cold, the ring-slinging, etc etc. Oh yeah, and if you think Faraday's just gonna roll over and die, you're in for a bit of a surprise.

I'm glad even though they left out the Losers they gave the absolute badass death scene to Faraday.

Also comparing Newsarama and CBR is fun:

Newsarama said:
Opening to questions for JMS (as he had to leave early), DiDio was asked by someone in the crowd if they are going to divorce Superman, in apparent reference to the aftermath of JMS’s last Spider-Man story, “One More Day.

"Never,” DiDio said.

CBR said:
Straczynski had to leave early, so Didio asked fans to direct questions to him. The first wondered whether “he would divorce Superman.” Didio chimed in that, “I was never married to Superman.”

Newsarama miss the point much?

Oh gods, you all should have heard the STUNNED-ASS SILENCE that followed Beechen's announcement. I think reality literally went ":dry:." They did seem like they were genuinely trying to address fan concerns, though, and promised profusely that everything will be answered and dealt with.

We can only expect the worst.

Out of all the writers for the miniseries, he assigns the one that bastardized her characterization.

CassToons will have a fun day with this. . .

While I'm not a huge fan of Batgirl (good character still, but I just never got big into her), I feel sorry for all you Cass fans out there.

Beechen writing a Batgirl series must be like a kick in the balls for you people.

Leaguer is buying three copies.

Doc, this is the calling, the moment in time you needed to recreate one of the best threads in hype history. It's your duty to plant the seed, it's your honor to be the one that does it.

That's...pretty much it. I'm going again tomorrow, but mostly for Summer Glau:O.

Actually, regarding the styles. I think they did a real good job capturing Cooke's style. Considering that Cooke worked out of Timm's animation studio, they're styles have always been somewhat similar. But they did a good job in making it more Cooke than Timm. Even though it's not an exact replica of his art from the comic, I think they did a good job here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"