Okay....Which Zod is Better??

^ It's funny, but I think Shannon's a more interesting character, but Stamp's a better VILLAIN. So I guess I go with Shannon, but only by a margin.

I loved all three incarnations of Zod, each one brings something unique and different to the character. Stamp owns the tagline "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD", Shannon portrayal give Zod depth and personality and Blue adds an edge to the character with a humanistic look .

1. Terence Stamp
2. Michael Shannon
3. Callum Blue

I'm going to say something that might be controversial (haven't looked back):

1. Michael Shannon
2. Callum Blue
3. Terence Stamp

It's just that 1 & 2 seemed to be real people more. While 3 just seemed to be evil for evil's sake, bad ass but I never understood him like those 2. Shannon and Blue were really fighting for something, Stamp was being bad ass although a great bad ass at that.

I voted both, Stamp was more drama and Shakespeare like he was on a stage. He really had no motivation. Shannon was more a human villain, you understood how his mind worked, all the bad things he did on and off Krypton were to save his race.
I also feel Callum was very good, he also was more human and like a military soldier.

Would make for an interesting poll question to the GA.

I had high hopes for Shannon in this role, but his performance was meh...disappointing.
Faora actually upstaged him.
I never cared all that much for Stamp's performance either, because there was no depth to the character.
My vote went to Shannon, nonetheless.

Callum-Blue-callum-blue-21597453-1280-720.jpg

The whole giving him a son that he lost was a HUGE addition in my book, plus the way Jor-El went about refusing to bring his son back to life. It just made him all the more human. If you like character depth to Zod rather than him just being bad ass, chances are you'll also like this Zod. He has a very understandable reason to hate Jor-El.

I had high hopes for Shannon in this role, but his performance was meh...disappointing.
Faora actually upstaged him.
I never cared all that much for Stamp's performance either, because there was no depth to the character.
My vote went to Shannon, nonetheless.

I think people who wanted him as a sinister villain were disappointed. As an anti-hero on the wrong side of things he works. Faora's intimidating because there's this disturbing grace to her character. Zod's more of a commander than a fighter (as evidenced by him losing to Jor-El).

I also feel like they made him come across as older, putting more white streaks in his hair to emphasize the idea of a hardened warlord.

I also feel like his acting improves as the film goes on, and I feel like that's intentional. In the early scenes he was more cold and unmoved. As the film goes on, he loses his sense of sanity and grounding. In a way, it's pretty sad.

Why do fans even start this kind of thing?

Two very different approaches to the character in two totally different films, made for two very different times.

However- if you're going to bring it up- look at it this way: Stamp was menacing in a basically light-hearted adventure film. And honestly, Shannon lost me when he stormed into the Kryptonian chamber and started speaking with a lisp. Yeah, his actions were menacing in that they were sneaky and ruthless, but anyone could do that. And when you have 200 million bucks worth of VFX behind you anyone can look dangerous. But Stamp was dangerous simply by standing there. If he HAD been in a film as dark as MOS (And for comparison look at his early film The Collector) he'd have been terrifying. Even in the opening of Superman '78 when he was photographed with the eerie lighting he looked like a monster. So Stamp hands down.

Shannon shanked Jor-el...........
The way he forced Superman to kill him......

"I WILL FIND HIM!!!!!!!!"

Hijacking the communication frequencies of earth......

The terraforming machines........

Shannon was not a cartoon character like Stamp.

Shannon shanked Jor-el...........
The way he forced Superman to kill him......

"I WILL FIND HIM!!!!!!!!"

Hijacking the communication frequencies of earth......

The terraforming machines........

Shannon was not a cartoon character like Stamp.

Is it funny that I think Stamp could have done a really good job as Shannon's Zod, but Shannon would be awkward doing Stamp's version of the character?

^ I think a lot of Stamp's criticisms are based on the fact that he's a traditional villain, no more, no less. Sure the "Kneel" line is a bit hammy, but that's part of the fun.

exactly we want more from a villians these days

why do you think magneto is one of the best villians when you understand the villains mind set and it gets you to say well i see where he is coming from thats great

I don't really think it's an issue of understanding a villain's mindset and seeing where they're coming from. A lot of villains have a pretty straight forward or simple mindset, but it doesn't keep them from being awesome and/or entertaining.

No competition.

A more realistic, sadistic Zod vs a cheesy, robe wearing, short guy Zod?

Shannon wins by default.

Shannon was by far the better Zod. Just a shame he was sort of underutilized.

Stamp. Was hoping Shannon, but Stamp. For a would be General, Shannon's Zod couldn't carry a plan if he had Faora do the lifting.

Shannon's performance is much better and more realistic. He was downright scary as Zod. Stamp's performance was good for the time, but I don't think it has aged well.

I have to say, I thought Shannon did a decent job, but his coup at the start of the movie was rather... pointless, and obviously, rather poorly executed (both as a part of the film, and an in-story event). That hurt the portrayal.

I did however like what they did with him being literally designed to be a soldier, and the mental limitations that that gives him.

He's not a card carrying villain, just a product of a horribly dysfunctional society.

I voted for Stamp without hesitation.

Sure, Shannon was good in the role. Sure, his Zod is more complicated than Stamps….but Stamp’s performance is simply more memorable and iconic. Shannon’s Zod got the show stolen from him by his henchwoman.

Stamp took a second rate character and made him an A list Superman villain. I mean, Topic Creator's can condescendingly claim that people would vote for Stamp because of nostalgia, but its more like Stamp is just cooler.

exactly, this is not even a contest. as someone else said, stamps ZOD is talked about to this day. shannons will be quickly forgotten and faora was superior to him

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"