Okay....Which Zod is Better??

ZOD (1978): You will bow down to me Jor-el! I swear it! No matter if it takes an eternity... YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE ME... BOTH YOU, AND THEN ONE DAY YOUR HEIRS!

ZOD(2013): I'm going to make them suffer Kal... These humans that you love so much. I'm going to make you watch as I take them from you one by one.

Either version is not an opponent to be trifled with. Both are excellent villains for the world's greatest hero. Ah, the contentment of being of fan of both versions of something you love.

Goddang it! This one is close like a mother****er... Stamp's Zod was a straight, two-dimensional, egomaniacal, King-Kong-aint-got-****-on-me supervillain who's only goal was to conquer everything in sight. That could've gotten boring real fast if Stamp hadn't been so ****ing perfect for the role. He nailed charismatic and frightening simultaneously, so it didn't even matter how flimsy his goals were.

Shannon Zod had so much more depth and he felt like a real person to me, not as charismatic as the other but I thought that's what a real hardened soldier would be like when facing the end of his species. The biggest problem I had, it made no sense to me why Zod was so unwilling to embrace the gift of superpowers that Earth provided. So Kryptonians have a few migraines and asthma attacks along the way, YOU ALL GET TO FLY & SHOOT FIRE FROM YOUR EYES!!!! I thought warriors were all about strength, this just made Zod look weak in my eyes.

It's really close for me, but New Zod had some serious flaws in logic that I cannot simply overlook. I gotta go with Classic Zod

ZOD (1978): You will bow down to me Jor-el! I swear it! No matter if it takes an eternity... YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE ME... BOTH YOU, AND THEN ONE DAY YOUR HEIRS!

ZOD(2013): I'm going to make them suffer Kal... These humans that you love so much. I'm going to make you watch as I take them from you one by one.

Either version is not an opponent to be trifled with. Both are excellent villains for the world's greatest hero. Ah, the contentment of being of fan of both versions of something you love.

Two phenomenal quotes.

Stamp did play a more ''Classic" style villain. He was a would be dictator with a personal superiority complex. Shannon as Zod was more "Complex" and he was more of a slow burner as a character. He was unraveling by the end and had become something demonic almost. He really was going to kill each human on Earth with his bare hands. Crazy? Sure. But like Zola said in CAPTAIN AMERICA:TFA, "The sanity of the plan is of no consequence... BECAUSE HE CAN DO IT!" That's what is chilling about any supervillain. They have the power to fulfill what ever twisted idea comes into their head.

I am kind of shocked Shannon is winning so handily. I liked his performance and I truly like how much more nuanced they made the character (particularly implying a friendship with Jor-El that should have been expanded upon further) but...

C'mon.

KNEAL BEFORE ZOD is iconic.

Nothing in MOS comes close to that.

Also, the way he is both menacing and yet darkly funny without meaning to be, example: "Why do you say this to me, when you know I will kill you for it" is amazing.

Have this poll in a few years and it will be a landslide for Stamp. It is iconic.

I am kind of shocked Shannon is winning so handily. I liked his performance and I truly like how much more nuanced they made the character (particularly implying a friendship with Jor-El that should have been expanded upon further) but...

C'mon.

Also, the way he is both menacing and yet darkly funny without meaning to be, example: "Why do you say this to me, when you know I will kill you for it" is amazing.

Have this poll in a few years and it will be a landslide for Stamp. It is iconic.

Goddang it! This one is close like a mother****er... Stamp's Zod was a straight, two-dimensional, egomaniacal, King-Kong-aint-got-****-on-me supervillain who's only goal was to conquer everything in sight. That could've gotten boring real fast if Stamp hadn't been so ****ing perfect for the role. He nailed charismatic and frightening simultaneously, so it didn't even matter how flimsy his goals were.

Shannon Zod had so much more depth and he felt like a real person to me, not as charismatic as the other but I thought that's what a real hardened soldier would be like when facing the end of his species. The biggest problem I had, it made no sense to me why Zod was so unwilling to embrace the gift of superpowers that Earth provided. So Kryptonians have a few migraines and asthma attacks along the way, YOU ALL GET TO FLY & SHOOT FIRE FROM YOUR EYES!!!! I thought warriors were all about strength, this just made Zod look weak in my eyes.

It's really close for me, but New Zod had some serious flaws in logic that I cannot simply overlook. I gotta go with Classic Zod
disagree you have to remember this is a general zod who had been genetically engereed to become a warrior a general and a protector of krypton it is in his genetic code and was predetermined before his engineered birth of what he would become he was to protect krypton and preserve it's safety at any costs

C'mon.

"A good death is its own reward" may come close someday, at least in the fanbase.

one thing of STM- general Zod: - that he is poor in fighting. :D

"A good death is its own reward" may come close someday, at least in the fanbase.

"If you love these people so much... Then you can mourn for them."

"Evolution always wins."

"Where did you train? ON A FARM!?"

"His name is Kal... Of El. And he's beyond your reach."

Film is chock full of 'em.

"If you love these people so much... Then you can mourn for them."

"Evolution always wins."

"Where did you train? ON A FARM!?"

"His name is Kal... Of El. And he's beyond your reach."

Film is chock full of 'em.

My personal favorite.

None of Zod's lines in MOS are going to be particularly memorable.The closest being "I will find him!!!" But I doubt 20 years from now,people will be quoting that in the same way they do "Kneel before Zod!" now.

None of Zod's lines in MOS are going to be particularly memorable.The closest being "I will find him!!!" But I doubt 20 years from now,people will be quoting that in the same way they do "Kneel before Zod!" now.

(Costner voice) ...Maybe.

The next generation will probably not watch these movies. I know my generation tends to not.

Huh?? What movie were you watching? LOL Looks like he was relishing the power to me! Sure it hurt for a minute.....but he got adjusted. When he shook off his armor and rose up......that was off the hook.

It's a Man of Steel forum, do the math. Of course everything including what brand of dental floss Cavill's Clark uses is going to be viewed as superior.

Oh come on.........this is a Superman forum.......I can tell from your avatar that you don't like Stamp getting "stomped". A Donner fan are ya?

Last edited:

Where did you train-on a farm?

I always liked the air of superiority and almost aristocracy of Stamp's portrayal, looking down on the small peons of Earth in an almost god-like way. Played the character with a strong sense of audaciousness, contemptuous, like people were irksome flies to be swatted.

Shannon just seemed mad and angry all the time.

?????

Yep....he shoulda been yuckin' it up when that planet exploded! Yeah boy!!:funny:

or maybe when they kept finding dead Kryptonians in those out posts!

or when he found out that the survival of his people was genetically put into the body of his enemy's son?? :funny:

hoooooo boy!!! Whew.....:awesome:

ZOD (1978): You will bow down to me Jor-el! I swear it! No matter if it takes an eternity... YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE ME... BOTH YOU, AND THEN ONE DAY YOUR ash!

I'm dead serious here. When I first heard him say this line, that's what I thought he said. I was like "WHAT?!"

I have a purely nostalgic attachment to Stamp. I watch his performance now and realize how hammy it is. Regardless, it's still classic and has imprinted on pop culture consciousness with regard to the Zod character. None of this precludes me from liking Shannon had he blown me away with a portrayal just as memorable. He didn't.

I went with both being equal.

Stamp's Zod had a huge pop culture impact and his attitude fits the power-level of the character, but Shannon's Zod had a full fledged and understandable character arc. I fear Shannon's Zod a little more, but I hate Stamp's Zod even more.

I'll give it a few years. Then I'll be able to say who had a bigger impact. I honestly feel Shannon's monologue at the end has the potential to be just as memorable as "Kneel!" But a lot less corny.

There have not been many villains that made me almost consider siding with them. So Shannon all the way.

There is a huge difference between the character of Joker and the character of Zod.

Not every villain has to be sympathetic but I like it when they have interesting motivations. Like the Joker isn't sympathetic but his motivations were interesting (e.g. the talk he gave Harvey in the hospital).

I think the bottom line is you want the character to be deep and have a philosophy more than just an agenda. Trying to rule the world is an agenda. Searching for the last remaining chance to preserve your race because it's your lifelong work, the reason you exist, is much deeper. Shannon's Zod had that, Stamp's didn't. You can blame that partially on the script, of course. But Stamp's performance was a little wooden. Shannon's was remarkable.

In all honesty, while I left the theater extremely disappointed with the pacing and editing of the movie, I was raving about Shannon to the same, but opposite degree. He stole the show from Cavill, Crowe and Adams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"